Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
The headlight buckets on my car (fiberglass pieces) were painted body color instead of black, and are peeling anyway. Will a Home Depot product like Zip Strip take it off or do I need something specific to automotive type paints?
Ken
dakotaewing
Ken -
First try some of the stronger cleaning products that do not contain solvents, like simple green, or a citrus based cleaner. Soak the part, possibly for a day or 2 -
The paint should seperate from the plastic, and peal off -

Again, don't use a solvent base, with maybe the exception of denatured alcohol -
Otherwise you may end up damaging the plastic -
kenshapiro2002
Thanks...I'll try that.
Ken

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Aug 7 2009, 12:51 AM) *

Ken -
First try some of the stronger cleaning products that do not contain solvents, like simple green, or a citrus based cleaner. Soak the part, possibly for a day or 2 -
The paint should seperate from the plastic, and peal off -

Again, don't use a solvent base, with maybe the exception of denatured alcohol -
Otherwise you may end up damaging the plastic -

jcd914
If the paint is already peeling off in spots you could try duct tape. One of the guys I work with completely stripped the paint off a Dodge Neon using duct tape. Stuck the tape down on the paint and peeled it off. Dodge had some trouble with their water based paint and it did not stick well to the primer. The primer worked well just not the color coat.
It would be fast to test.

Jim
kenshapiro2002
As soon as we finish the water treatment, and they dry off, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Ken

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 7 2009, 01:27 AM) *

If the paint is already peeling off in spots you could try duct tape. One of the guys I work with completely stripped the paint off a Dodge Neon using duct tape. Stuck the tape down on the paint and peeled it off. Dodge had some trouble with their water based paint and it did not stick well to the primer. The primer worked well just not the color coat.
It would be fast to test.

Jim

tracks914
If it has started to come off, then a pressure washer should peel the rest off easily.
kenshapiro2002
Yeah...if I don;t blow off all my nail polish! blink.gif

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 7 2009, 10:09 AM) *

If it has started to come off, then a presure washer should peel the rest off easily.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.