Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Recharging a/c with R-12
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neil30076
Anyone know who can recharge the R-12 in my 81 -928 - in San Diego area, most a/c shops won't touch it!
Upgrading to R-134 is not an option, if you have ever seen the a/c path and all the parts in a 928 you know why !
TIA
Madswede
I have the exact same problem with my '92 968. When I brought it up at WCR this year, I was told by someone that you can easily get R12 in Mexico, though I've not taken the 968 down to Juarez just yet to verify. dry.gif

In any event, I've been considering removing mine completely at this point. Sorry, not much help, but I'd venture a guess that if you can't find R12 in either California or Tijuana, then it can't be found any more.

- Nelson
neil30076
QUOTE(Madswede @ Aug 6 2009, 04:44 PM) *

I have the exact same problem with my '92 968. When I brought it up at WCR this year, I was told by someone that you can easily get R12 in Mexico, though I've not taken the 968 down to Juarez just yet to verify. dry.gif

In any event, I've been considering removing mine completely at this point. Sorry, not much help, but I'd venture a guess that if you can't find R12 in either California or Tijuana, then it can't be found any more.

- Nelson

Readily available in TJ, I may try to organize a group buy and a/c recharge party if i can get someone to go get it !
dlo914
how many do you guys need? my old manager at Autozone use to own his own parts shop a good 15+years ago and has a stash of R-12.
Bruce Hinds
They had banned the R12 shortly after we moved to WA and since I was pulling the engine on the teener anyway, I pulled the AC out. About the same time the AC quit in my '91 ranger and I couldn't see dumping the $$ in the old truck for the limited time we need it up here.

After about 3 summers of suffering through without the AC, I happened upon a kit for about $55 that conditions the old system for the 134A. Since I loved the truck and couldn't afford to replace it I thought I'd give it a go.

Previous to this everyone told the system can't be converted without throwing big bucks at it. BS! It works very well. Not quite as cold as the R12 and I've had to add a can about every other year, but it works.

The kit changes the fittings required, a plackard to show anyone that wants to service it, a fill guage and valve and instructions that even I was able to do.

B
zambezi
I daily drive my 82 928 and had converted it to R-134a when I got it 5 years ago. Daily driven since and never had to add anything. This morning I had to put the temp into the mid range because I was freezing my a** off. Of course I don't have factory rear a/c just the dash a/c. I only changed the drier and all the Orings and blew out the lines when I had it apart. My main complaint about the 928 a/c is the blower resister overheats too easy and goes to full blast, then that is when I freeze my a** off.
JIM
SLITS
A couple of years ago, I had our Mexican Rep go to Autozone in TJ and get me some R12.

About $8.00 for a 1 lb can.

He gets arrested if they catch him with it. 3 cans he can claim it's for personal use as he lives in TJ.
sww914
I have a new business model. I'll get an old van with rear A/C, drive down to TJ, fill it up with R-12, drive it back, harvest the "product", sell it, repeat.
Nah, people have tried to smuggle stuff over the border since there was a border. They've probably figured it out. Or maybe not.
jcd914
Stay away from the AC specific shops, they survive off volume and most of the cars out there have 134a systems. Look for a import repair shop that has been around awhile. Many of them bought the R12 recycling equipment when the regulations changed and then bought new equipment for 134a but still have the R12 equipment.

I ran into this a few years ago when I took a road trip from CA thru Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and back. I fixed my AC before leaving, new compressor, orifice, receiver drier, o-rings, flushed and recharged with R12. On a Saturday in Colorado at 90+ degrees the high pressure hose developed a leak. I had considered replacing it when I did the compressor but figured it would last. I found a $250 hose from the Ford dealer in Broomfield (I think it was Broomfield) but they could not recharge until Monday. I called around to some repair shops near the dealer that had the hose and found one that could charge it that afternoon (another $250). I tried several AC shops and Quickie Lubes that did AC service but none of them did R12.

It is against the rules and probably illegal to for anyone to service a R12 system without a AC Service Certification and it is not allowable to charge a system that is known to leak.

Jim
banger
If you need someone to do the recharge, let me know. I have all the tools for it. Just bring me the car, and the freon, and consider it done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.