Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome bumper bars - Dealer option/aftermarket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
natebg
I am new to this board; my father and I are starting a restoration of a 1972 (he is the second owner) that he parked in his barn about 24 years ago. I have a question on the chrome bumper bars that are on this car. Were these a dealer option, or do you think they were added aftermarket?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thank you very much,
Nathan
Joe Bob
Aftermarket junk....lose them.
tat2dphreak
never seen those, but yea, I gotta say I'm not a fan. I've seen bars like that on pickups for brush though...

post pics when you wash it tho, looks like it's in decent shape!

welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Amco made them and provided them aftermarket. In those days, many dealers were looking for anything to make a little extra money on the sale of the 914. Amco also made rear chrome luggage racks the matching front bar shift knobs and a (fairly nice looking) plastic console for the cars.

QUOTE(natebg @ Aug 7 2009, 08:21 AM) *

I am new to this board; my father and I are starting a restoration of a 1972 (he is the second owner) that he parked in his barn about 24 years ago. I have a question on the chrome bumper bars that are on this car. Were these a dealer option, or do you think they were added aftermarket?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thank you very much,
Nathan

natebg
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 7 2009, 11:57 AM) *

Amco made them and provided them aftermarket. In those days, many dealers were looking for anything to make a little extra money on the sale of the 914. Amco also made rear chrome luggage racks the matching front bar shift knobs and a (fairly nice looking) plastic console for the cars.

Cool. Thanks for the info.
natebg
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 7 2009, 11:52 AM) *

welcome.png

Here are some additional pictures.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
looks like a solid car! smilie_pokal.gif

I'd check that rust under the sail panel tho.

my rear valance is like that, but a bigger hole for a dual exhaust tip screwy.gif DAPO...

what is the color code? pheonix red?
gandalf_025

Yes, Dealer installed Amco Crash Bars.. Amco is generally known for Chrome Luggage Racks for British Cars. My 914 had them from the Dealer. They do grow on you..

Looks aside, they do provide a service. Mine saved the rear of my car in 74, when a Buick G.S. backed into it. It saved the rear lights and back fascia. The G.S. rode up over bar and sat on trunk lid. Trunk lid was trashed,But the rest of the rear of the car was fine.

As an aside.the Buick was stuck in place which helped because people told me he tried leave the Scene but he couldn't get the cars apart.

I bought a new pair on e-Bay a few years ago and will put them on when I decide on Bumpers.. They would also protect the expensive Bumper tops.

Guess it is a matter of taste, looks wise..
maf914
The bumper guards were popular on early chrome bumper MG's, Triumphs and VW's. Their bumpers were low compared to Detroit iron bumpers and parking damage tended to get into the grill and body work. I always thought they were a little odd on a 914, but they do serve a pupose I guess.
Al Meredith
If anyone is interested in those bars I have a set in VG condition. Luggage racks too. $50 for the bars or the racks. Al
gandalf_025
Just as a "For what it is Worth"

Here are a few pictures of the rear bumper that was clobbered by the Buick.
You can see where the impact pushed the Crash Bar into the Bumper.
It did it's job and saved the taillights and the rear fascia.

My car {a 1970} has had them on since new, I bought it in 1973, and it wouldn't be the same without them..

Like I said ,purely "Personal Preference"

In my case, the Crash Bars and Wood Dash Pieces that were Dealer Installed Options will stay with the car.
gandalf_025
Just as a "For what it is Worth"

Here are a few pictures of the rear bumper that was clobbered by the Buick.
You can see where the impact pushed the Crash Bar into the Bumper.
It did it's job and saved the taillights and the rear fascia.

My car {a 1970} has had them on since new, I bought it in 1973, and it wouldn't be the same without them..

Like I said ,purely "Personal Preference"

In my case, the Crash Bars and Wood Dash Pieces that were Dealer Installed Options will stay with the car.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
Couple of things of note here (won't hurt any feelings by commenting on the bars):

Color is most probably Bahia Red (bahiarot).

The rear snowplow has the same problem that my original had. Someone put on an aftermarket exhaust (probably Bursch), and the hole had to be extended in all directions for the tailpipe to exit (yes, I did it). So you now have this gaping hole in an almost impossible piece to replace.

Looks like a salvageable 914. What's the VIN, so we can record it to this site?
Pat
natebg
Paint code is L21E (tangerine). After research, this car was once repainted to the GM color "Hugger Orange" - which appears to be a close match to the factory color, when some battery tray work was done.
I have added my VIN to the database.
Right now I have the engine and transmission out, and am doing some engine degreasing/cleaning, then I will paint all of the engine sheet metal with a fresh coat of high-temp black.
steveherman
QUOTE(natebg @ Aug 7 2009, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 7 2009, 11:52 AM) *

welcome.png

Here are some additional pictures.

Click to view attachment

i wanna see a better side view.
natebg
QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 15 2009, 05:31 PM) *

i wanna see a better side view.

This is what I have...

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Jeff Bowlsby's site has some more info on these:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/914Accessories.htm

They include some installation instructions (I think), plus some brochure scans.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.