Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 97 buick for the sis-in-law has clicky clickity noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I wanted to get some feedback on this problem. I have the option to have my sis in law buy a 97 buick with 99,000 mi on the clock in god shape for $600. Today I went to my friends to look at it and when I started it I noticed some valve clicking. At least that is what I think.

- I removed the oil fill on the forward head, where I localized the noise to, and the cap had emulsified oil on it (yellow and creamy). So I know water got in the oil once, probably through condensation.

- The clicking does not effect the engine running or idling.

- The oil is brown and about 1.5qts too full.

I am thinking that this is most likely a stuck lifter rather than a stuck valve. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to try and remedy it?

Ideas I had: Marvel mystery oil in the oil or ATF flush through the engine? Either way, the oil needs to be changed out and the engine flushed out.
orange914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 8 2009, 02:18 PM) *

I wanted to get some feedback on this problem. I have the option to have my sis in law buy a 97 buick with 99,000 mi on the clock in god shape for $600. Today I went to my friends to look at it and when I started it I noticed some valve clicking. At least that is what I think.

- I removed the oil fill on the forward head, where I localized the noise to, and the cap had emulsified oil on it (yellow and creamy). So I know water got in the oil once, probably through condensation.

- The clicking does not effect the engine running or idling.

- The oil is brown and about 1.5qts too full.

I am thinking that this is most likely a stuck lifter rather than a stuck valve. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to try and remedy it?

Ideas I had: Marvel mystery oil in the oil or ATF flush through the engine? Either way, the oil needs to be changed out and the engine flushed out.

3.8?

blown head gasket
HAM Inc
Cash for clunkers?
Dr Evil
Yes, maybe a blown head gasket. Duh, I didnt think of that. Coolant was low.
But, the dipstick was not emulsified. I need to pull the plugs and check.

As for cash for clunkers, she (is a loser) doesnt have more than the $600 that her Russian immigrant (not even living here) boyfriend is shelling out for the car dry.gif Long story, check the sand box.
orange914
these buick v-6's are notoius for blown headgaskets/cracked heads.

good luck

mike
orange914
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 8 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Cash for clunkers?

i may be wrong but i think you must have registration iin your name and insurance on a clunker for 1 year previous to trade in.
r_towle
Ask yourself "why is it 1.5 quarts of oil over filled"
Do you think possibly it was to make it quiet?

Where do you think the antifreeze may have gone????

Rich
Dr Evil
Answer: Ron is a ding dong who knows jack about car engines. He is a polish it oh isnt it pretty now it is worth so much more kind of guy dry.gif If he put oil in it, it would be over filled. If the car is in his possession, he will neglect the coolant......but he did have it detailed sheeplove.gif

I dont remember it clacking last time. If the head is in need of some love the car may still be worth it. Unless you all have a $600 beater that is reliable lying around?
r_towle
quick compression test will tell you.

If its good and passes the test....change the oil, but hold off one quart and put in a bottle of "motor medic" or as my son calls it "a bottle of shut the fuck up"

Its as thick as honey....and it works.
It makes noisy american lifters shut up.

Rich
Dr Evil
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 8 2009, 06:30 PM) *

quick compression test will tell you.

If its good and passes the test....change the oil, but hold off one quart and put in a bottle of "motor medic" or as my son calls it "a bottle of shut the fuck up"

Its as thick as honey....and it works.
It makes noisy american lifters shut up.

Rich

Now that is the type of sage advise I was looking for smile.gif

I cant get my head around it completely as I am in the middle of writing 3 separate papers for 2 classes dry.gif 15hr/wk/class my ass rolleyes.gif
ws91420
3.1 it is an intake manifold gasket. GM 3.1 and 3.4 are famous for this. Check the coolant for cross contamination and check the oil dipstick or the oil when its changed for co0olant in the oil.
Dr Evil
Well what do ya know. I just went to show the car to Heidi and the noise was gone. So a lifter is the most likely. We found that the 3 passenger windows do not roll up or down. dry.gif I can easily fix that. I need to add coolant and see what happens. I am not seeing emulsification in the oil. I still want to do a compression test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.