Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil being sprayed around engine compartment at high revs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mack9146
2.2 liter 6, if you drive the car for half an hour at highway speeds oil is every where. Drive at a low speed, even highway speeds but for short periods of time, no problem.
I know this is vague, but what do you think? Seems the oil is coming out where engine and trans join.
buhs914
i think you've got an oil leak poke.gif haha
mack9146
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Aug 8 2009, 07:09 PM) *

Thanks...
buhs914
QUOTE(mack9146 @ Aug 8 2009, 08:12 PM) *

Thanks...

haha sorry about that but i had to. it might be the seal behind the flywheel..
mack9146
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Aug 8 2009, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mack9146 @ Aug 8 2009, 08:12 PM) *

Thanks...

haha sorry about that but i had to. it might be the seal behind the flywheel..

If it was a main seal problem wouldn't it leak at any speed?
MDG
Where in the engine compartment? Are you getting a spray across the top? The crankcase breather gasket could be toast (check the hose too) You could also have a leak in front that the fan is sucking in and spraying.
iamchappy
Check oil breather hose area first and oil idiot light sender. If not there it's probably the flywheel seal. The flywheel seal can be easily replace with the engine still in the car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mack9146 @ Aug 8 2009, 07:06 PM) *

2.2 liter 6, if you drive the car for half an hour at highway speeds oil is every where. Drive at a low speed, even highway speeds but for short periods of time, no problem.
I know this is vague, but what do you think? Seems the oil is coming out where engine and trans join.

I assume you are not new to this car?

Engine oil is filled to between the two lines on the oil dip stick and this is with the engine running on a level surface when warm. Otherwise you will spray oil everywhere... Ask me how I know... sad.gif
Downunderman
Its most likely the breather hose. The hose clamp tends to squash the pipe out of shape, and the hose has probably gone soft and gooey.
MDG
The breather hose is 800mm long so if you replace it buy a meter and trim to fit; don't just ask for a hose for a 2.2 or it will come pre-trimmed for a 911 and will be too short for the 914. Pelican, AA etc., etc., all sell it by the meter. Get new hose clamps too. The gasket for the crankcase breather is easily replaced as is the O ring on the thermostat beside it. Just did all this (and more dry.gif ) on my car last month. No more leaks.

Check your oil cap and make sure it still seals properly and replace as needed

Check around your oil cooler too and replace those 3 seals if needed. It's more of a PITA than the top two but easily do-able.
ME733
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 9 2009, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mack9146 @ Aug 8 2009, 07:06 PM) *

I assume you are not new to this car?

Engine oil is filled to between the two lines on the oil dip stick and this is with the engine running on a level surface when warm. Otherwise you will spray oil everywhere... Ask me how I know... sad.gif

agree.gif AND make sure the breather hose, is ALWAYS going up,so oil cannot be trapped, causing crankcase to PRESSURIZE.,If it were the flyweel seal, it would leak all the time, THE ABOVE POST HOWEVER is probably exactly your problem. maybe you should throughly drain the engine, and slowly refill it,crank it up ,at 1-2 quarts LOW...immediately read the dip stick,keep rechecking, as the engine gets hot. RESOLVED this exact problem..6.. months ago..on a friends 911.He just overfilled it with oil. popcorn[1].gif
6freak
O ring on the thermostat

this man hit he nail on the head ...jmo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.