Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire terminal source so I can stock up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
Like the rear license light terminals that are very small. I need those at the moment, but I want to stock up anyway. I've searched, but there are too many threads about wiring that don't reference a source for terminals.

A few years back I finally bought a decent crimping tool, but now I need some terminals. In particular I would like to stock up on uninsulated terminals so I have a selection available when I need them. Walking into a FLAPS and only finding stupid plastic insulated terminals isn't cuttin it anymore.
jim_hoyland
Try http://waytekwire.com

Gint, I couldn't open their web page, it must be down at the monent. But, I recently ordered some crimpers from them. Jeff Bolsby recommended them
Gint
Thanks Jim. That's one of the names I'd seen in the past but couldn't remember. And yes, I'm having the same experience with their site this morning. Probably be fine Monday when the IT monkey shows up. laugh.gif
jimkelly
i got these two crimping tools - top one from ebay and bottom one from napa.

waytek website has been out of order for month!!

i too need a good source for quality crimps - the kind that has to be crimped twice, once to grab wire and again to grab sheathing - and - the the kind that just grab wire, like in my pic.
jimkelly
the crimp of the thomas & betts - as demonstarted before in other threads by others : )
jt914-6
Gint. Lowes, Home Depot, NAPA, ect should have what you need. For the licence plate lights you'll need the "red" 1/8" terminals........

Click to view attachment

Sorry for the lousy pic......but you get the point.
zonedoubt
I just buy the insulated ones and then pull off the insulation with a pair of needlenose pliers.

Also check here for a good selection of connectors: http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=390
Katmanken
Jimkelly,

Never saw a crimp like that before in my 13 years in the military electronics and computer industries.

All of the ones I have seen use the "spike" to apply pressure on the other side to fold over the flaps and to leave the bottom flat. All of the the AMP assembly line tools produce a "B"shape with the flaps folded.

Does it work OK?

Ken
jimkelly
here are two nice threads...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=crimper

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=crimper++tool

to me - that with this tool - it seems that mashing the non seemed side may be better???

jim

--

QUOTE(kwales @ Aug 9 2009, 09:26 AM) *

Jimkelly,

Never saw a crimp like that before in my 13 years in the military electronics and computer industries.

All of the ones I have seen use the "spike" to apply pressure on the other side to fold over the flaps and to leave the bottom flat. All of the the AMP assembly line tools produce a "B"shape with the flaps folded.

Does it work OK?

Ken
AvalonFal
Try these guys:
www.rallylights.com

They have a good supply. I got the small fuel injector connectors with the barb on the back side from them. Look under the Hella items.

Paul
IronHillRestorations
I crimp them, solder them, and then sheath them with heat shrink.
Gint
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 9 2009, 08:54 AM) *
Gint. Lowes, Home Depot, NAPA, ect should have what you need. For the licence plate lights you'll need the "red" 1/8" terminals........
Sorry for the lousy pic......but you get the point.

Appreciate the help, but that's exactly what I don't want. I want to get a supply of uninsulated terminals, with the strain relief section on the rear of the terminal. And stripping the plastic of off the retail outlet plastic insulated terminals isn't what I want to do either. BTDT

This is what I'm after (as well as some other sizes):

German Supply link .110 female spade terminal

Click to view attachment
AvalonFal
See my link (www.rallylights.com) above. They have the uninsulated terminals with the strain relief tabs that crimp around the wire insulation in several sizes with and without the barbs on the back.

Paul
jimkelly
they do not show the female side and do not show the price for the larger bulk packs? guess got to call.

jim

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Aug 9 2009, 08:15 PM) *

See my link (www.rallylights.com) above. They have the uninsulated terminals with the strain relief tabs that crimp around the wire insulation in several sizes with and without the barbs on the back.

Paul

Gint
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Aug 9 2009, 08:15 PM) *

Paul

I did. .26 each. I'm buying some from them tomorrow. Thanks.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2381
jim_hoyland
What tool do you use to crimp ?
TravisNeff
I bought a crimper for molex connecters at Frys on Friday, has 2 dies, once for crimping the jacket and the other for crimping the wire, just like the factory wiring. $12.
Gint
I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Comes with multiple dies for different terminal applications, insulated and uninsulated. There are several companies that manufacture a tool like this one. If shopping online watch the price. If it's this tool for less than $30, it's probably just the tool with one die set.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18920-Ratch...l/dp/B0002STTTI

IPB Image
Tom
I got mine from Ralleylights also. I use an AMP that is very similar to Gint's crimper. Works just fine.
Tom
markb
We get our connectors form Wurth.
Gint
Hey Mark, does Wurth sell retail? Or do you have to go through a dealer?
markb
Good question. I'll have to ask.
jimkelly
you are correct - the crimp looks better if done to the seemed side - oops : ))

here is a pic with a the crimop done on each side.

jim

QUOTE(kwales @ Aug 9 2009, 09:26 AM) *

Jimkelly,

Does it work OK?

Ken

Porcharu
mcmaster.com sells very nice non insulated terminals - the nice heavy gauge type without an open seem like the cheap ones all seem to have. Mouser.com also sells some very nice terminals and sells most of the top quality brands and they are usually much cheaper than the junk sold in little bags of 5 at the home stores.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 10 2009, 06:15 AM) *

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Comes with multiple dies for different terminal applications, insulated and uninsulated. There are several companies that manufacture a tool like this one. If shopping online watch the price. If it's this tool for less than $30, it's probably just the tool with one die set.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18920-Ratch...l/dp/B0002STTTI

IPB Image

Very nice ! Does it come with instructions as to which die should be used. for the various crimp operations ..I ordered one anyway--but just want to get a heads up on the how-to part.
Gint
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 10 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Very nice ! Does it come with instructions as to which die should be used. for the various crimp operations ..I ordered one anyway--but just want to get a heads up on the how-to part.

Right there on the inside of the lid Jim. You can actually read it in that picture if you work at it. The dies are labeled with their part numbers and the sticker tells you which die is for which type of terminals. It was well worth the money.

The crimps that Jim Kelly posted pics of use the third die from the left. The uninsulated terminals I posted a picture of use the die on the far left. The dies with the colored dots are for the insulated terminals you buy at FLAPS, etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.