Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warm air guides, important?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I have a question about the warm air guides that attach to your heat exchangers to help guide air to the bottom of the cylinders. I have stripped off the exchangers off my car and is just the exhaust tubes, should I fab something up for this???
Mike D.
If you mean the pieces that screw to the exchangers and the bottom of the case, You can do with out them. I have done without them for years and probably lots of others on this list have too. they just get in the way and collect oil and road grim anyway.

-Mike D.
rhodyguy
are you refering to one of these? they might collect some crap but at least a piece of wierdness can't fly trough them that is aimed at a pushrod tube. a leaky engine is going to make a mess regardless, keeping more shit out is allways a better thing in my book.

kevin
Lawrence
I thought those pieces were important to keep the engine WARM enough everywhere.

-Rusty
TravisNeff
Yeah, those are the guides I am talking about. Lawrence, are they to keep everything cool, or to keep everything warm? maybe it is for warmth due to their name "warm air guides".

I just want to address everything I can for cooling before I do the daily driver thing here in the next month or so (when it gets 105 everyday and a 40+ mile commute)
Anton
I would not discard of the two pieces; Porsche will not have installed them just to collect dirt. They play a role in improving engine cooling, just like the two plastic floor flaps.

Also, check the mixture, ignition timing, and valve clearances; particularly when driving in a warm environment. I have noticed that after adjusting the CO value from 1.2 to 2.5% on my 1.8 L-jet the engine runs less hot.
MarkV
I agree w/ Anton. I think they are there for a reason. A few years ago I had a hard time finding a replacement for one that was missing on my car. boldblue.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 3 2003, 12:35 PM)
I agree w/ Anton. I think they are there for a reason. A few years ago I had a hard time finding a replacement for one that was missing on my car. boldblue.gif

i don't think i have them on my 1.8
does anyone have pic of them installed?
i would like to see ...

thanks!
Anton
If you need them, but can't find them: Mittelmotor in Germany (www.mittelmotor.de) supplies reproductions of these warm air guides. They should fit 2.0 and 1.8 engines.
ChrisReale
Thats the piece that covers tgheh drivers side push rod tubes and the thermometer. I would try to find one if you dont have it
MarkV
I needed one for a 73/2.0 and was forced to buy it from AA. They sell new reproductions. A 1.7 air guide is different.

Guide photo:
SirAndy
thanks for the pic!

that does NOT look familiar sad.gif

does anyone have a spare for sale for a 1.8 !?!
MarkV
This one is for sale on E-Bay if you want to deal w/ tese guys? I would check the part # to make sure it will fit a 1.8. confused24.gif

Air Guide
rhodyguy
the first pict i posted was the drivers side for a side shifter, as was marks. this one shows (sort of) a pass side on an engine. i believe the dr side are diff for side shifter vs tailshifter. when i convert to a ss on the the 72' i think i had to change to a later style.

kevin
rhodyguy
the engine is on a moving dolly so i can't show the whole piece attached. picture me lying on floor.

kevin
JWest
They are called warm air guides because they handle the air that has already been heated by the cylinders (as opposed to the cold air that has not passed the hot engine parts yet).

Be careful if you buy some - there are three designs. There are the ones that fit with the early heat exchangers, and they are different between tail and side-shifter. The ones for the late (crappy) heat exchangers are also different.

Someone mentioned removing the heat boxes from around the exhaust tubes - if so, then there won't be much to bolt the guides to so you will probably have to do without.
TravisNeff
Yeah the heater boxes are gone, but if this was important for even cooling of the cylinders I would fab something up to mount them. Acutally I don't have the guides, so I would probably make something out of sheet metal and make a little L brackets to weld to the heater tubes to hold it in place.
Bleyseng
As James said, there are the:
1. Tail shifter warm air guides
2. Side shifter warm air guides that fit 1.7,1.8 and 2.0
3. 75-76 warm air guides
I think they are just there to catch the oil dripping off the pushrod tubes so dirt can collect and mix to form a oil grime. Nah, they direct the hot air out the back so it isn't sucked up by the intake fan.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.