Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show us your camera mount!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Show us your camera mount. Did you buy it? If so, Where? I'm wanting to mount a camera inside the Alien for my next trip. I was thinking about building one.

Whatcha got? assimilate.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh! and stock interior is a preference
VaccaRabite
I don't have a mount on my car.

But on Top Gear they use suction cup mounts for the windshield, and often also have a bar across the B pillars with a camera on a pipe mount.

Some of the mounts on the market are really strong, and have mounts on the suction surface which warn you when suction is getting low.

Zach
iamchappy
I use duck tape and tape it to the bill of a golf hat. Video as seen in my avatar.....
messix
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 9 2009, 08:03 PM) *

I use duck tape and tape it to the bill of a golf hat. Video as seen in my avatar.....

red green!?
iamchappy
Actually, i used Camo.......

Not that it really matters but it was Realtree...
messix
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 9 2009, 08:39 PM) *

Actually, i used Camo.......

Not that it really matters but it was Realtree...

confused24.gif lol-2.gif blink.gif

Red Green is the master of duct tape.

you are not familiar with Red Green? huh.gif
banger
Here is my mount, a little bigger and heavier than most, but gets great shots.
IPB Image
Sleepin
I used a universal satellite radio mount with a suction cup. just drill a hole in the base of it large enough for a 1/4-20 bolt...which will screw right into a camera base! biggrin.gif

..you should be able to build that by RRC! ohmy.gif
jt914-6
Alright, this system is a little closer than what's been posted so far, but not as stock as you wanted. Using an I O Port to mount a HD camera. Digital recorder W/16GB storage mounted in front trunk and Garmin GPS antenna which gives GPS location and speed. Also a signal harness to show when I apply brakes. Working on a inertia sensor for four way axes. Made for mobile application. Go to the Paddock and AX/Track video to see sample video. I sell them......Testing the system in my car....Cops aren't the only ones with in car video!!!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
shades.gif Holy crap! There's a couple a high tech units here! I'm leaning more tword the golf hat and duct tape method idea.gif
iamchappy
I think you can get camo duct tape in Mossy Oak pattern also...........more $'s
ws91420
If you have a Pep Boys near you they have a camera that is in an enclosed waterproof case you can mount just about anywhere. It goes for about $200 and you would need to get a 2 gig SD card to record any great length. website http://www.goprocamera.com/
ConeDodger
I have a Weltmeister Harness Bar in my car with an I/O Port Camera Mount between my seats. The point of view is over my shoulder and out the front window. Total cost was about $200+ if you pay retail for everything...
Michael N
This is the one I made before WCR 2009. About $30.00 in parts.

This is similar to the glass carrier I bought but I believe I paid $14.99 for mine. Link to suction cup carrier.

On the top of the T bracket I put rubber weather striping to helg dampen the vibration. The rolled T shirt with electrical tape on it is used to mount under the T bracket to also dampen the vibration.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the mount in action - link to you tube video.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 10 2009, 07:39 AM) *

This is the one I made before WCR 2009. About $30.00 in parts.

This is similar to the glass carrier I bought but I believe I paid $14.99 for mine. Link to suction cup carrier.

On the top of the T bracket I put rubber weather striping to helg dampen the vibration. The rolled T shirt with electrical tape on it is used to mount under the T bracket to also dampen the vibration.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the mount in action - link to you tube video.

Very nice! the video is very stable! I'm going to look for a suction cup thing!
rick 918-S
Ooooo.. Look what I just found!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=46134
Rand
We mounted a camera to the rollbar in a speed record car at the Bonneville salt flats this weekend. (Yes, it's upside down - we'll flip the footage in post.)
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 10 2009, 05:52 PM) *

We mounted a camera to the rollbar in a speed record car at the Bonneville salt flats this weekend. (Yes, it's upside down - we'll flip the footage in post.)

I was thinking it would be cool if you could flip the camera over so the passenger could check the video in the viewing screen. Our camera screen will flip over and lay flat against the camera viewing screen out..

I like that idea! idea.gif
oldschool
my camera set-up
rick 918-S
Holy! That thing is outragous! Very nice! drooley.gif
tomeric914
Do a search for GoPro on eBay. Look for the one with the suction cup package, usually about $200.
rick 918-S
I was messing around with my Harbor Freight Suction cup find. $6.00. I boosted one of my sons drum accessories. I'm not sure this thing is safe to drive with but I'm going to try it. biggrin.gif I think I will add a safety line to the camera blink.gif
wobbletop
I suspect that long arm is going to make the video jump around a lot!
roadster fan
I like Michael and Ricks adaptation with the suction cup handle. I saw Michael's at wcr2009 and it is really effective for inside the cabin. I suspect it would work equally well mounted outside the back window facing backward.

It will be interesting to see how much Rick's long arm holder bounces, as Michael said until he stabilized his mount with the t-shirt wrapped in tape the video was shaky.

For the money, I think Michael's solution is the best I have seen. Better systems out there? Sure but for 10x the cost. I think He bought his camera and all the mount pieces for less than most mounts. Keep the ideas coming, this will be a fun post to watch. There is so much creativity here!

Jim
johannes
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 12 2009, 07:23 AM) *

I suspect that long arm is going to make the video jump around a lot!

I agree ! ...

I bought this one and I think it's very good value for money.
http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague...tion_mount.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpoAgvXDGjk
jt914-6
An easy rear/outside shot is this. All 914's have three threaded (6mmx1.0) holes on the outside upper part of the taga bar. The ski rack I used in Utah when I lived there used them for the top ski mount. I plan on using this angle soon. Get a piece of aluminium and make it. I'd put a piece of rubber so as not to scratch the paint. A couple of pics of my prototype...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
johannes, that's a nice looking mount.
mskala
Wow, since this has turned into a "whip 'em out" session, here are my
setups.

I make a multiplexer, so I have mounts all over the place. Never have I
drilled a hole or needed a suction cup. I use RAM ball-type mounts, very
adjustable and secure.

Windshield view:
mskala
Full driver view from pillar:
mskala
Rear glass view for driver's hands plus whole front:
mskala
This is where a mount was under the dashboard for the feet view:
mskala
This shows the entire outside (left or right) of the car, including both tires:
(I took off the curved part of the plastic)
Sleepin
Wow Mark! Impressive, and you could almost get a colonoscopy at the same time! biggrin.gif
mskala
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 12 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Wow Mark! Impressive, and you could almost get a colonoscopy at the same time! biggrin.gif

Maybe get an endo camera for the passenger during autocross to check on the
pucker factor from the reverse angle
carreraguy
Hi
My son likes the Contour HD camera system. Very small and easy to use - downloads an HD movie. Can mount to a helmet easily or to a windshield with an optional mount (which I'll be buying soon for myself). I think the basic camera package costs around $300.
A link to a video sample: http://www.vholdr.com/video/hd-laps-oregon-racway-park
Later,
aircooledtechguy
Thursday evening I rolled by Harbor Freight and picked up one of their aluminum bodied single suction cup lifter to make a camera mount for future spirited drives/track days. It works fantastic!! I spent about 1 hour Friday modifying a piece of aluminum plate to mount the camera on. I had to cut the plate and re-weld it w/ a 15 degree down angle to match the window so the camera was level.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I took it for a drive down a couple nice roads on the way home last night and it was surprisingly steady. No vibration to speak of and has a nice straight ahead view out the passenger side. Definitely worth looking into for those wanting an inexpensive removable mount system. I've got $8.50 into this piratenanner.gif
campbellcj
I have the IO Port mount attached to the rollcage near the rear-center of the car i.e. close to the driver's right ear. It's very stable.
Slider
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 12 2009, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 12 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Maybe get an endo camera for the passenger during autocross to check on the
pucker factor from the reverse angle

LOL av-943.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.