Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Has anyone used this distributor (see link below). Basically I just put my engine back in my car and with some help I got it tuned close to where it needed to be. I say close because when I took it on the highway I had no top end. I could not seem to get above 4k rpm and it was real slugish. It seemed to pull pretty good in the lower gears. I took the distributor out and it is an 009. From what I can tell this is pretty much junk or as Rich says do a float test. If you put it in water and it floats keep it LMAO.
So I am hoping somenoe has used this and can give me feed back or even better some one here might have an old l-jet for sale or something better than an 009.
JOE M
whoops here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vacuum-adva...p4506.m20.l1116
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 10 2009, 12:23 PM) *

here's more info on it.

I think it can be a good dizzy option...

http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-SVDA034-2BOS4V1.htm

I think it's the same one aircooled.net sells. if so, I'd call and ask John what he thinks about it on a type 4. John is very knowledgeable and helpful. and his price is comparable, and you'd be able to return it if it's bad for some reason.
Gint
Looks like it's probably a competitor actually.

Check out this thread while you're thinking about it.
050 VS. 009 thread
JOE M

O.K so the 050 is better (oppinion) but should I get vacuum advance or mechanical advance. I see that many people plug the vacuum advance and run it like that. I have a 1.7l with dual weber 34 ict. I played a lkittle with the timing today and it pulls real good from the start but has less torque in the upper rpm range.

QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 10 2009, 11:31 AM) *

050 VS. 009 thread

r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 10 2009, 09:15 PM) *

O.K so the 050 is better (oppinion) but should I get vacuum advance or mechanical advance. I see that many people plug the vacuum advance and run it like that. I have a 1.7l with dual weber 34 ict. I played a lkittle with the timing today and it pulls real good from the start but has less torque in the upper rpm range.

050 VS. 009 thread

Take your pic with that setup.
It will either pull up high, or down low.
that is the issue...you get to choose.
Most people set it like I did so you get to rev it out....but to get off the line you need to start at higher revs...
thus why it is a bad distributor.

Vacuum advance pulls the advance plates sooner, so you get advance much earlier...then once you are revving more, the weights take over the advance.

This is why a vacuum advance setup is a nice way to go, its smoother.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2009, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 10 2009, 09:15 PM) *

050 VS. 009 thread

Take your pic with that setup.
It will either pull up high, or down low.
that is the issue...you get to choose.
Most people set it like I did so you get to rev it out....but to get off the line you need to start at higher revs...
thus why it is a bad distributor.

Vacuum advance pulls the advance plates sooner, so you get advance much earlier...then once you are revving more, the weights take over the advance.

This is why a vacuum advance setup is a nice way to go, its smoother.

Rich

Rich thanks again for all your help. I am going to get a different dizzy and most likely vacuum advance.I re-set the valves and they were off a bit. For some reason most of them were at about .008 to .009".With them all set at .006" it seems better. It still seems to backfire a bit. Could that be because of the advance?
r_towle
It could be because of the distributor.
Put a WTB in the classified...you may get lucky and find one locally...there are a few guys around here...Don down in RI may have more than one....he watches the classifieds pretty close.

Alot of guys use the RSS news feed on the classifieds so post a WTB on both sites...you may hit paydirt fast, and for short money.

If I had one here, it would be yours.

Rich
tat2dphreak
backfire through the carbs or the exhaust?

carbs could be lean condition, exhaust could be a exhaust leak.. I'm chasing both demons, personally.
Bristol
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 10 2009, 10:28 AM) *

I think it's the same one aircooled.net sells. if so, I'd call and ask John what he thinks about it on a type 4. John is very knowledgeable and helpful. and his price is comparable, and you'd be able to return it if it's bad for some reason.

Nope, not the same. The one that aircooled.net sells comes with points for $160. If you want to go to a pertronix that's $90 more or $250 total. The Hot Spark dizzy already includes an electronic ignition for $140 shipped. As always though you get what you pay for, the quality of the aircooled.net SVDA is probably better....

Kirk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.