Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a Engine cart/dolly anyone know how to build one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I saw the carts on ebay, they seem cheap enough, but I need to make one right away. Does anyone have the measurements so I can slap one together quickly and get my engine out without dropping it on the ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. welder.gif

Of course, if anyone has a better idea, I am all ears.
blitZ
I use a furniture dolly. $12 from Northern Tools.
Shade Tree
I use my creeper.
hcdmueller
Last time I used a pallet jack that I borrowed from work.
dangrouche
is this what you had in mind; you'll need the wheels from HF's furniture mover; plus Chris Foley's engine plate, and some metal angle irons, but here is how I put one together, without even owning an engine stand.
dangrouche
see pics
VaccaRabite
I made an engine cart of angle iron. Worked so well for my welder that I had to make another one of wood for my engine.

Its just a wood pallet with wheels, with supports for the engine bar and a beam across the back for the tranny to set on. Its what I used to test run my motor back in the spring.

IPB Image

It also has an inlet in the back that can't be seen, which allows a floor jack to go under the motor to raise it and lower it.
zach

Gigamight
WOOD!!!

Never thought of using wood. Guess the engine isn't THAT heavy after all. I have a lot of wood laying around, guess I'm getting out my table saw... heh heh heh.

Thank you so much guys for the input.

Vacca, I like the look of what you did there, do you happen to have any dimensions still? I am sure I can figure it out, but hey, I'm not above taking advantage of someone else's hard work.
yeahmag
I second the furniture dolly. That's what I use...
dangrouche
2x4, 4x4, 2x6, lag screws ;sorry no dimensions, but you can measure while engine and tranny are still intact. you need to lower the engine and tranny together as a unit. sorry, i could not load previously cuz my pics were too large

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Aug 10 2009, 07:45 PM) *

Vacca, I like the look of what you did there, do you happen to have any dimensions still? I am sure I can figure it out, but hey, I'm not above taking advantage of someone else's hard work.

Mine was kinda Seat-of-the-pants.

2x4 frame with a 3/8 ply deck. The cut out for the jack I did measure at the time, but just measured and started cutting.

The frame was overbuilt and put together with 2.5 inch deck screws. The deck top I nailed down wit my air nailer. It is very strong.

The casters I inset to lower the overall height. Whole thing worked like a charm. Roll it under the car, insert the jack, and lift the engine into place.

Zach
slu234
I used a wooden furniture dolly from Lowes/Home Depot. $20.

Remove wheels, lower car until about 0.5" above and then remove bolts to lower the rest of the way. Works great!!

Nice large wheels roll around easy. I think it says it is good for about 500 lbs. and engine is around 300lbs.

Click to view attachment

charliew
A fiero is a similiar car. I used a transmission jack with a tube added to do the fiero motor and tranny but I also used a aframe lift to do the body.
J P Stein
asdf
Jax914
ditto on the furniture mover - mines from HF. nice and low. carpet covered, decent enough wheels. spare engine has been sitting on it for over a year..
zymurgist
Hey Brian,

welcome.png

I don't know if you've seen the thread, but this year's East Coast Cookout will be right around the corner from you in New Market, Va. So you might want to think about putting that engine and tranny back in your car!

East Coast Cookout

They're good guys, they even let me in with my taildragger.
iamchappy
I use a lift table for everything.
tat2dphreak
IIRC there was a good motorcycle/ATV jack that worked great, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.