Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check out my Nutz!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
You should ask yourself why you would open this thread blink.gif biggrin.gif

What you are looking at are 500 SS 8x1.25 nuts, 500 SS 8mm washers, 100 6x1.0 nuts and 100 6mm lock washers.

This stainless hardware is standard on my rebuilds and these are for the clinics smile.gif
markb
wub.gif

av-943.gif
Sleepin
Looks like Mark is in love with your nuts.... blink.gif
Millerwelds
My Tranny is proudly wearing your nuts right now. lol-2.gif

Tom
You're kind of nutty, aren't you? Or are you feeling nutty?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 10 2009, 07:12 PM) *

My Tranny is proudly wearing your nuts right now. lol-2.gif

Oh ya, I put my nutz all over your gear box. It was hard to keep them clean and shiny, but I did biggrin.gif
carr914
Better than those Truck Nutz

T.C.
ellisor3
Biggest set of nutz Ive ever seen. One nice set of nutz you've got there.
Cap'n Krusty
Why? They lack the helicoils that the OE ones have. Sorry, IMO, it's a downgrade .........................

The Cap'n
PanelBilly
My nuts are rusty and I feel the need to sandblast them.
r_towle
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 10 2009, 09:14 PM) *

Rock tumbler (using fine silica sand)
table top model.

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 10 2009, 07:14 PM) *

Doesn't that hurt like hell?!!!!!
jimkelly
trannies

nuts

duped again : (

i should stop taking things sooo literally : )

Shade Tree
I was low on hardware in general and went out to the pick-a-part last weekend. For 10 buck I got about half of a 5 gallon bucket. Took a magnet and just picked up the loose stuff on the floor boards and trunks. Started with the 914's, moved on to the rest of the Porsches and pretty much stuck with German cars. I now have every kind of fastener you could want...almost. rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
Shoulda let me know you were ordering. I need nuts and washers.

Zach
Sleepin
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Aug 11 2009, 02:45 PM) *

I was low on hardware in general and went out to the pick-a-part last weekend. For 10 buck I got about half of a 5 gallon bucket. Took a magnet and just picked up the loose stuff on the floor boards and trunks. Started with the 914's, moved on to the rest of the Porsches and pretty much stuck with German cars. I now have every kind of fastener you could want...almost. rolleyes.gif

Good deal there!

Zach....we didn't need to know that you need to wash your nutz! poke.gif av-943.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 10 2009, 05:14 PM) *

Why? They lack the helicoils that the OE ones have. Sorry, IMO, it's a downgrade .........................

The Cap'n

Gotta agree with the Cap'n on this one. SS is for boats.
Shade Tree
[quote name='Sleepin' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:44 PM' post='1201776']
[quote name='Shade Tree' post='1201760' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:45 PM']
[/quote]

Good deal there!

It was all fun and games until I decided I needed to sort them all!
jsayre914
I have had the service done. Mikes Nuts are satisfactory. I mean mike satisied my tranny with his nutz. wait..... blink.gif

they work great, is what i was trying to say. look nice too beerchug.gif
charliew
What grade are the ss fasteners?

The first 42 ford jeep I redid, I used ss bolts and nuts to put the body together and on the frame. The ss bolts and nuts were very easy to gall and sieze without using neversieze on them. The ss nuts only with the mild steel bolts worked a little better but still with neversieze. I like ss fasteners but I'm not sure if they are as good as high grade normal fasteners with a neversieze. The idea of using ss is because it doesn't rust as fast as normal fasteners but if you gotta use neversieze anyway why not just use a high grade steel fastener with the neversieze.
IronHillRestorations
I know you can get dissimilar metal corrosion with aluminum and stainless, but I don't know about magnesium.
URY914
I didn't realize rusty nuts on trannys were such a problem.
Dr Evil
Yes rust is a problem with stock. These are 18-8 SS and are practically the same level on the Galvanic scale as the standard hardware. Mag alloy is the shittiest for corrosion resistance and is why there is a covering on the boxes standard, but not on most any longer.
I have been doing boxes like this for several years...almost 10 so I think I may know what I am doing. rolleyes.gif

If you dont like my SS nuts then you cant have them. Your opinion....well its yours.
URY914
Back down, Doc.
Sorry I didn't mean to insult your nuts. mellow.gif
Use whatever you want.
Dr Evil
On the West coast the rusty nut issue is a non-issue, but out here in the rust belt I spend a good deal of time removing the stud with the nuts, then the rusty nuts from the studs, then re threading the studs back in. Its a PITA.
r_towle
Cap'n

What helecoils are you talking about?
Can you teach us here?
I am confused....I did not think nuts were anything more than nuts.
Are they two pieces?
I never examined one...just assumed they were standard old nuts.

Rich
IronHillRestorations
The factory transmission side cover nuts have a heli-coil inside them, they aren't just internally threaded nuts.

No intent to offend Mike, I've just seen some pretty good galvanic corrosion with aluminum/stainless. I'm no metalurgist, so I don't know what kind of problems you could run into with stainless/magnesium.
Dr Evil
Why do the stock side cover nuts have helicoils?? I always wondered that.

No offense taken that you want to make sure something doesnt go bad. Thanks for giving me credit wink.gif
Dr Evil
Here are the pics people were asking about. You can see the helicoil threads in the nuts that are stock for the side cover, and you can see the corrosion I have to deal with on the studs. I keep the long studs as it is easier for me to have some ready after I remove the nuts from them, the shorter studs from the side cover I do not have many of.
VaccaRabite
Was there ever a determination of why a more expensive helicoil over a standard nut?

Does the Helicoil lock (like a nylock?)

Zach
zymurgist
Helicoiling a nut seems like an expensive way to make a fastener to me.
Katmanken
A coupla guesses.

First, with a helicoil, there is no coating on the inner threads and you can remove it multiple times without destroying the protective coating between the helicoil and nut. That would be good in preventing corrosion.

Second, I have removed old exhaust nuts that left the helicoil on the stud. I'd much rather remove a helicoil from an unbroken stud than removing a broken stud from a head.
zymurgist
The second guess makes a LOT of sense.
Dr Evil
The second guess would not really apply to the area they are used, the first guess may have some merit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.