Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DFW area Car Tune Up Party this Saturday?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Looking for a little help this coming Saturday. Bedford Tx 5 miles west of the DFW airport.

Since last November I've been working on the 914 and it's off the jackstands, this week. It was running on a single progressive carb when I bought the car. Now, it's August and despite being laid off last January and being underemployed, I have a pretty good interior, brakes, lights, tires, cables, window seals, and the ususal stuff the car needed. It still has an 80 foot paint job, and that'll have to wait. Picked up Dellorto carbs off of a members running car. Everything is now bolted and glued on, and I want to finish the motor and DRIVE it. Valve Adjustment, dwell, timing, and carbs all to adjust. The last car I did this on was a 1953 Chevy straight 6, so it's been a while.

Before I shut it down I added stabil to the gas, and it hasn't run since. I can't afford to take it to Zims, Clay's local mechanic biggrin.gif , and get this done, and besides, I want to know how to getrdun!

I think I have everything I need tool and part wise, and really need help on the first valve adjustment and tuneup, with carbs. Food and drink to anyone helping and lots of appreciation. beer3.gif PM, email or call. Thanks Bill
bandjoey@sbcglobal.net 817 905-7937
1204 Tranquilla Ter 76021 10am startup time
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 11 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Looking for a little help this coming Saturday. Bedford Tx 5 miles west of the DFW airport.

Since last November I've been working on the 914 and it's off the jackstands, this week. It was running on a single progressive carb when I bought the car. Now, it's August and despite being laid off last January and being underemployed, I have a pretty good interior, brakes, lights, tires, cables, window seals, and the ususal stuff the car needed. It still has an 80 foot paint job, and that'll have to wait. Picked up Dellorto carbs off of a members running car. Everything is now bolted and glued on, and I want to finish the motor and DRIVE it. Valve Adjustment, dwell, timing, and carbs all to adjust. The last car I did this on was a 1953 Chevy straight 6, so it's been a while.

Before I shut it down I added stabil to the gas, and it hasn't run since. I can't afford to take it to Zims, Clay's local mechanic biggrin.gif , and get this done, and besides, I want to know how to getrdun!

I think I have everything I need tool and part wise, and really need help on the first valve adjustment and tuneup, with carbs. Food and drink to anyone helping and lots of appreciation. beer3.gif PM, email or call. Thanks Bill
bandjoey@sbcglobal.net 817 905-7937

You didn't say what time.... I would like to come supervise and antagonize.

And I can collect MUSR registration stuff there.

icon_bump.gif
bandjoey
Thanks Clay. How does 10ish sound?

Official MUSR Registration Meeting! Ya'll come sign up!
tat2dphreak
I'll try to make it. I've been waning to do a get together like this too... I have about 30lbs of catfish to cook for it.
bandjoey
When you plan that I'll bring the slaw and potatoe salad!

Come on by this Sat. And bring some friends biggrin.gif Bill
Grelber
Bill: I wouldn't be much help w/ the work, but I could stand there and nod my head every once in a while.

tat2dphreak
Bill: I wouldn't be much help w/ the work, but I could stand there and nod my head every once in a while.

damnit Ron, that was my job!
tag
Too bad I already have plans this weekend... sounds like fun to me and I could possibly learn something. Damnit
mad.gif - Tony
Grelber
Wayne: I'll nod, you cook.
ClayPerrine
Betty and I will be there, but not until around 10:30 or so. We both have class on Saturday morning, and have to come home and change afterword.

See y'all there.

BTW.. Bill... you know my house is real close to you, so if you need spares or something, just let me know.

tat2dphreak
I'm going to do what I can to be there, too, but I may have to pick up the teener at Wes' and do a few things to it first... so no promises.

what time are you planning on calling it a day?
Grelber
I'll probably be there around 10:30 or 11:00.
bandjoey
HaY guys. I can park about 15 teeners in my circle. Come on by. As slow as I am I'll probably be working on the car until 3pm anyway.
tat2dphreak
wish I could have made it, but hung out with Wes and got the car closer and closer to driving.
bandjoey
What I learned today from Clay, with Betty in the supporting role:
1. Rubber gloves do not keep you clean when adjusting valves
2. "Clean" oil on the case automatically turns black upon contact with skin
3. P.O.'s can do a shit load of bad when they don't know how to adjust valves
4. I need to work on my grip when Clay says 'turn the fan by hand' - Ha!
5. I have an original stock muffler in pretty good condition
6. Clay and I both need high paying full time work...just call!.. so we can finsih our cars.
7. Original fuel lines do eventually leak and burn up 914's
8. Clay is a walking encyclopedia and is more antimated than the Haynes manual
9. Factory heat exchangers have 9,485 sharp edges around the valve cover
10. Did I mention how a drop of oil turns your entire body black?

Let's do it again sometime somewhere DFW! (fishfryfishfryfishfry) biggrin.gif Bill
ps. Much Thanks Clay. Much Thanks Betty
we also need a photographer for stuff like this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.