Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The transmission delema continues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Everyone here who knows me knows I absolutely hate the transmission in my car. Which funny enough it seems it was supposed to be a really nice one at the time.

It's a 916 transmission or just about the same thing as a 915 with a velios kit. I understand this is what was in a 914 GT race car.

Right now I have a wevo shifter in the car and shift tubes that look a little cobbled together.

Way I figure I can take 3 routes.

1. Sell the transmission and someone just sold one recently for alot of money. Not sure exactly but he wanted 18 grand for it. Even if he got half that that is still pretty good. Brad is coming up with a kit that allows a boxster tranny to connect to a air cooled motor. 6speed modern gearbox with no shift problems and hydralic clutch sound pretty good. More then likely selling off the other gearbox would pay for everything and still have some change left over.

2. Replace shifter and shift tubes with Jwest products and hope this fixes all my problems. Probably rebuild the gearbox if this worked with some custom gears. Probably spend 4 grand in the end. Bonus would be I still have an original box.

3. Sell the car and get a corvette. Just kidding!
Dr Evil
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Hard to tell without pics of the rods, etc.
turboman808
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 12 2009, 08:39 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Hard to tell without pics of the rods, etc.

I only have this one picture from when Chris had it up on the lift a few weeks ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1192149

IPB Image

I was also wondering, If the 916 and 915 box are the same internally then couldn't I get a wevo gateshift installed in the transmission?
Joe Bob
Build a 901/914 box. Be easy on first gear.
Richard Casto
If it's a real 916 transmission (I think they would be stamped with 923/01 on the bottom of the transmission), then it is worth decent money. So much so that I would probably sell that and build a better replacement. If it is a 915 converted to 916 specs, it's not worth nearly as much.

I would think that most 915 converted to 916 were done using Velios parts. It's my understanding that the Velios solution is basically a repro of the factory 916 parts. I also have hear that the factory (and Velios) parts don't really work that well when compared to something like the WeVo solution.

It would be intersting to see photos of the "type" that is stamped on the case as well as the tail. I think the Velios tail has the "Velios" name cast into the part.
Dr Evil
I agree with Darth Casto. Good analysis.

I am doubtful it is a 916 box. Thus, a 915 with WeVo if you have the cash is a great setup that you will not be disappointed with.
Joe Bob
BTW, the rumor ont he Vellious was that it needed a LOT of massaging to work.

WEVO in MY experience makes an excellent but expensive product. Deckman has it in his ride and seems satisfied.
turboman808
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 12 2009, 10:09 AM) *

I am doubtful it is a 916 box.

Yeah I am only going by what others have told me it is. I generally get the "Holyshit thats a real 916 box" from people who know what they are looking at. Other then that I couldn't tell the difference between a 915, 901 or anything else for that matter. If it was a 915 box that would be great. Get the wevo parts and call it a day.
r_towle
If I recall, Chris said the serial number was correct.

Sell it. you know my opinion.
If you dont care, and other guys who want that exact tranny do....just sell it.

Get a good g50 transmission and enjoy driving the car.
I do not think, unless you want to do it, the boxster tranny/914 setup will be done anytime soon.

You could be a guinnee pig for it, that would make it move along quicker.

Rich
turboman808
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 12 2009, 12:09 PM) *

If I recall, Chris said the serial number was correct.

Sell it. you know my opinion.
If you dont care, and other guys who want that exact tranny do....just sell it.

Get a good g50 transmission and enjoy driving the car.
I do not think, unless you want to do it, the boxster tranny/914 setup will be done anytime soon.

You could be a guinnee pig for it, that would make it move along quicker.

Rich

Thats not a bad idea. Drive it for the next 4 months then really seriously try and sell it and do another setup.
pcar916
Did it look like this?

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/916_racing_gearbox_2

and perhaps these?

Click to view attachment

turboman808
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 12 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Looks like this one

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22512092

The picture you posted kinda looks like a diecast rip off.
ChrisFoley
Its a real 916 box. Apparently they aren't nearly as rare as the cars.
The Vellios does not have the same shift fork arrangement. It just makes a 915 into a sideshift, similar to a 916. More like a 914/915 hybrid.
The linkage on Nate's car is cobbled together using two stock front coupling joints and a straight shaft between. Shift lever/tower is 911 Wevo. Not much adjustability. I think there is some slop in the bolt holes of the plate(s) that attach to the trans. That may be where some adjustment could help align the shift lever so 3rd - 4th are actually in the center, between the springs.
What I didn't like is that the lever returns to center after putting it in any gear, thus making it almost impossible to know what gear you are in by looking at the shift lever. The alignment seemed to be off a little, making it necessary to move right of center to shift into 3rd/4th and 5th/reverse are hard to get even when the lever is moved all the way to the right.
turboman808
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 12 2009, 05:51 PM) *

Its a real 916 box. Apparently they aren't nearly as rare as the cars.
The Vellios does not have the same shift fork arrangement. It just makes a 915 into a sideshift, similar to a 916. More like a 914/915 hybrid.
The linkage on Nate's car is cobbled together using two stock front coupling joints and a straight shaft between. Shift lever/tower is 911 Wevo. Not much adjustability. I think there is some slop in the bolt holes of the plate(s) that attach to the trans. That may be where some adjustment could help align the shift lever so 3rd - 4th are actually in the center, between the springs.
What I didn't like is that the lever returns to center after putting it in any gear, thus making it almost impossible to know what gear you are in by looking at the shift lever. The alignment seemed to be off a little, making it necessary to move right of center to shift into 3rd/4th and 5th/reverse are hard to get even when the lever is moved all the way to the right.

I didn't even think about the fact that it goes to center after a gear is selected. Makes it sound like there is probably a hell of alot of slop in the linkage.

So what do you think Chris? Will a Jwest shifter and shift tube kit solve these issues?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 12 2009, 09:28 PM) *

So what do you think Chris? Will a Jwest shifter and shift tube kit solve these issues?

We didn't spend much time looking at your shift linkage parts, only trying to resolve the specific issue inside the box that presented itself to us.
I don't think the JWest shift linkage kit will work with your gearbox though.
IIRC the shift selector and console on your trans is different enough to make adaptation of the parts rather difficult.

As far as the shift tower and lever, I haven't driven another car with a WEVO setup, but we have one here and it won't be long before we get to test it.
I know I like the Rennshift Tower/Lever, and it has a 20% reduction option vs the 30% of the WEVO. But as you mentioned, the problem may be slop in other areas and replacing the lever might not solve the problem.

I might use two WEVO PSJ units instead of the stock shift couplers, but first I would figure out how to adjust the left/right alignment of the lever so it's easier to find all the gears.
turboman808
Trying to figure this out without looking at the car.....

Seems I need a stock connector at the back in order to connect to the transmission using the conical screw. Wevo racing PSJ is probably the one to use there. By the way that part is really expensive Geez!!!

The shift tube and connector where the wevo shift connects looks just like the stock peice. I pulled it up once to swap out some bolts for stainless steel ones. Like a ball sitting in a cup.

Seems to me the best option would be the Jwest level 2 kit which doesn't include the universal joints or splines and instead use the Wevo Joints. Another option is to use the wevo at the transmission and Jwest joint up front. Save several hundred. Then Swap out the shifter for the rennshifter which has a much better reverse lockout from what I can see.

I really think thats what I am gonna do unless you see any reason this won't work?

Even if I sell the transmission I can still enjoy this one til I do. I don't want my car sitting any longer then it already has.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.