Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGR system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
I have a 1975 914 1.8 that was a Califirnia car. It had a cat on the old muffler which I removed. I went to install a new speedometer cable and found the car had a long cable going to the EGR box and a short cable going to the speedometer. The new cable was longer so I by passed the EGR box. What other polution stuff is on the engine and can it be removed with out harming anything?

I want to repaint the engine tin. Can the engine tin be removed with the engine in the car?

My questions may sound stupid, but this is my first Porsche and I am not used to working in such a confined space. Hell, I'm still trying to find the spark plugs!
blitZ
Not sure what all your 1.8 has. My Cali 2.0 had an air pump and the EGR plumbing, which I have removed.
Geezer914
Like I said, I'm still looking for the spark plugs! I would like to know how to remove the engine tin without dropping the engine to see what is under there? The tin is getting a little rusty and I want to repaint it. Is it better to remove the engine lid so I have better access?
zonedoubt
Dropping the engine isn't as big a job as it may seem. Far easier to remove and paint tin with the engine out.
type47
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Aug 12 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Dropping the engine isn't as big a job as it may seem. Far easier to remove and paint tin with the engine out.

agree.gif you'll save time in the long run and it's good practice biggrin.gif As far as I know, pollution equipment was limited to the EGR and air pump. I've seen/read that people will remove the air pump and either cap the fittings on the head near the intakes or remove the fittings and put in a plug (maybe 10mm pitch like a valve adjust screw pitch). Not heard of any problems with removing the equipment except to run afoul of local emission regulations (ie, a '76 would not pass in CA without factory installed equipment)
jcd914
75 1.8 did not have air injection, only the 2.0 got air injection. You can safely remove the EGR system but will need to plug the connection to the breather hose or get a breather hose from a 74 1.8. I would also suggest you swap the 75 1.8 exhaust system for a complete system from a 74 1.8 or better yet a 2.0 exhaust system. You have to swap out the complete system from the heads to the tail pipe tip but it is worth it.
I agree that pulling the engine and then pulling the engine tin will probably take less time and be less frustrating in the long run. It will also give you a chance to look close at engine wiring, oil leaks fuel hoses etc...

Jim
Geezer914
Already have a set of 74 SS heat exchangers and a new Monza dual outlet muffler. I pulled the tech article from Pellican Parts web site on how to drop the engine. Looks like that's wacko.gif my next project. Thanks for all the responses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.