Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1.7 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
editingrus
Who makes the engine for the 914? VW or Porsche.Its my first Porsche and I Know nothing about them. Also I leve in So. Cal and I can't find parts. Any Ideas?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(editingrus @ Mar 8 2004, 03:25 PM)
Who makes the engine for the 914? VW or Porsche.Its my first Porsche and I Know nothing about them. Also I leve in So. Cal and I can't find parts. Any Ideas?

VW Type IV; the car is a VW Type 47, marketed throughout most of the world as the 'VW-Porsche 914" and in North America as just a 'Porsche.'

i owned a 1,7 914/4, fun little car - good place to start !

there are MANY places for 914 parts in SoCal but you'll probably have your best luck finding things on line; there are places with some walk-in service and knowledgability (Small Car in Anaheim comes to mind) but for The Real Knowledge - online is the hot setup...

welcome !
lagunero
Welcome!

I believe the 914 came with VW Type IV engine with the exception of the 914-6 that came with a Flat Six Porsche engine. It seems that all the info. (parts info also) you need is here so good luck!

What parts are you looking for?
Mark Henry
I believe the Porsche 2.0 heads, crank and rods we're Porsche design or reworked.

The 914 got a 2.0 crank and rods in '73, where as the bus didn't get them till '76. They also changed the casting for the 3 bolt head.
So you could argue that the 2.0 was a VW/Porsche joint effort.
Dave_Darling
It was a joint effort from the beginning...

But you could argue that all of the 914s from 1974 on were strictly Porsches--VW had bailed out of the joint distribution venture at that point, leaving Porsche in charge.

Anyway, So Cal is rife with outfits who can supply parts and services for your 914. I happen to work for one, so I'm a little bit biased about which one I think is best... It certainly has the best vendor website!! (See my signature below for the URL.)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.