Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mirror Suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
The stock mirrors on my 914 suck IMHO. They angle downward (not on a horizontal plane), and only adjust in and out...not up and down. Anybody have an opinion on an option that will cover the stock placement holes, is black and provides a better view?
tat2dphreak
several 911 mirrors have been made to work. there's the infamous vilatoni style too(which is butt-ugly imho)

but stock mirrors do adjust up/down too... I personally would like to find some small, round , CHROME ones that look period correct. or some nice Billet ones that can work in the stock location.
Grelber
I have stock mirrors on both sides, and they adjust up and down as well as in and out. Yours just might be stiff.
GeorgeRud
Carefully remove the black surround that holds the mirrored glass in place, and then you'll have access to the adjustment nut inside the mirror that controls the vertical adjustment on the factory mirror.

With a bit of penetrating lubricant and some adjustment, the stock mirror should work just fine. Most people that have changed to other mirrors seem to regret the change after a while. The stock mirrors seem to have the correct look over time.
charliew
I got some late 80's gm electric mirrors that several people have used that look pretty good but to me might be a tad too big. My 75 has both stock mirrors but a vandal broke the driver's mirror glass while breaking the vent window trying to steal the radio. Some one here or the club sent me a window free when I first joined as a newbe. I also have some 69 mustang mirrors that may be more period correct. They are more angular in shape. What is a guy to do. I kinda hate to make new holes in original doors.
kenshapiro2002
It's the angle shown in this photo that bugs me, not really the in/out or up/down adjustment. Maybe some kind of base shim that lifts the outside edge...
Click to view attachment
JJ914GT
I'll be using two stainless torpedo style round race mirrors. They could be fitted to your original location I guess, if you like the look.
dflesburg
send me your old stock mirrors if you dont want them. I love them! and have them on all three of my cars.

6freak
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:11 PM) *

It's the angle shown in this photo that bugs me, not really the in/out or up/down adjustment. Maybe some kind of base shim that lifts the outside edge...
Click to view attachment

It appears to me they were mounted in the wrong spot ...Need to be on the top of the door next to the seal ,,,,jmo...just looked again and i dont see plastic shimmy thingy under it ....
6freak
Click to view attachment

Factory mirror in factory location ..1970 model
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 14 2009, 03:55 PM) *

It appears to me they were mounted in the wrong spot ...Need to be on the top of the door next to the seal ,,,,jmo...just looked again and i dont see plastic shimmy thingy under it ....

agree.gif
there's a little plastic gasket thing under it that belongs there... hard to tell from the angle of the pic if it's in the right spot. but my car has it mounted just like 6 freak... and I don't have the funky angle
kenshapiro2002
Nah...they're right next to the seal and the plastic bases are there. You have made that light bulb go off for me though...I'm going to create a replacement shim that is thicker on the outside edge to lift the whole mirror into a horizontal plane. Thanks!

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 14 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

kenshapiro2002
Mine is obviously the stock mirror in the stock mounting area. The problem must be the plastic shim under the mirror. Is your shim thicker on the outside edge to compensate for the slope of the door where it mounts?

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 14 2009, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 14 2009, 03:55 PM) *

agree.gif
there's a little plastic gasket thing under it that belongs there... hard to tell from the angle of the pic if it's in the right spot. but my car has it mounted just like 6 freak... and I don't have the funky angle

6freak
I do not remember if there angeled or not .. It wouldnt take much of a wedge to get the end of the mirror to come up so maybe that little plastic shim piece does have a slight angel to it!... are your backwards??......P.S it bugs me to so hurry up and fix it ..lol
warrenoliver
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 14 2009, 04:31 PM) *

I do not remember if there angeled or not .. It wouldnt take much of a wedge to get the end of the mirror to come up so maybe that little plastic shim piece does have a slight angel to it!... are your backwards??......P.S it bugs me to so hurry up and fix it ..lol

agree.gif

I'll bet that's it - they are on backward. When I had both of mine off to repaint, I remember that if I put the left mirror on the right door, it sat at an odd angle. Try swapping mirrors left to right or take each one off and rotate the base 180 degrees - may be as simple as that.

Warrenoliver
tat2dphreak
yep, that's what it is... the metal plate at the bottom is at a slight angle. you have it on bacwards biggrin.gif
dflesburg
send them to me
schreiber
I'll trade with you. I'll even cover shipping.
biggrin.gif
See picture

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Nope...checked that out hoping that was the problem. They are correct.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 14 2009, 11:33 PM) *

yep, that's what it is... the metal plate at the bottom is at a slight angle. you have it on bacwards biggrin.gif

kenshapiro2002
OMG! Hideous! Please, never show them here again!!! fighting19.gif

QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 15 2009, 12:03 AM) *

I'll trade with you. I'll even cover shipping.
biggrin.gif
See picture

Click to view attachment

kenshapiro2002
What's your address?

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 14 2009, 11:34 PM) *

send them to me

1970 Neun vierzehn
It looks to me as if the base of the mirror is off by 90 degrees. The mounting bolts are front to rear, not side to side.
tat2dphreak
OMG! Hideous! Please, never show them here again!!! fighting19.gif

hey, just be glad that PO didn't mount them on the windshield frame... yea... WTF.gif screwy.gif
nsr-jamie
I need a mirror too.....I have some Honda motorcycle mirrors I could trade you from Japan biggrin.gif
kenshapiro2002
Nah...optical illusion.
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 15 2009, 01:28 AM) *

It looks to me as if the base of the mirror is off by 90 degrees. The mounting bolts are front to rear, not side to side.

ConeDodger
Those bullet mirrors or torpedo mirrors that have been discussed are actually called Talbot Mirrors and were quite popular with sports cars in the 60's. I think they are still available through sources like Pegasus Racing.

Ken my suggestion is that you just install a stronger motor. Then you only need your window mounted rear view to look back and check to see if the cops have given up yet! busted_cop.gif lol-2.gif
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 15 2009, 11:38 AM) *

Those bullet mirrors or torpedo mirrors that have been discussed are actually called Talbot Mirrors and were quite popular with sports cars in the 60's. I think they are still available through sources like Pegasus Racing.

Ken my suggestion is that you just install a stronger motor[size=5]. Then you only need your window mounted rear view to look back and check to see if the cops have given up yet! busted_cop.gif lol-2.gif

[b][/b][color=#003333]Until I get my current motor running right, I need all the mirror I can muster.
Sleepin
Did you try pulling that one off and spinning the base 180 degrees? Might just be 180 out..... blink.gif
carr914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 15 2009, 01:06 AM) *

I'd check again, I'm sure your base is off by 180 degrees.

I use to think other mirrors (911 flags, 993, etc) were nicer on a 914, but I've come back around to the stock mirrors. Even if you switch, if I were you I'd keep the stock ones in case you come to your senses. dry.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

kenshapiro2002
Wish that were it...not.

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 15 2009, 11:58 AM) *

Did you try pulling that one off and spinning the base 180 degrees? Might just be 180 out..... blink.gif

kenshapiro2002
Alright...I'll check again. If that's it I'm gonna beat myself silly.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 15 2009, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Aug 15 2009, 01:06 AM) *

I'd check again, I'm sure your base is off by 180 degrees.

I use to think other mirrors (911 flags, 993, etc) were nicer on a 914, but I've come back around to the stock mirrors. Even if you switch, if I were you I'd keep the stock ones in case you come to your senses. dry.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

tat2dphreak
completely remove it, turn the base round and put it back, I bet you will be shocked

btw TC those mirrors are sick. I don't think I've seen any quite so shiny biggrin.gif
kenshapiro2002
I was shocked...the mirrors were wayyyyyy off then. They are mounted correctly. Here's another shot to show the slope. Maybe I'm too anal, but I need to get these guys level...mostly a safety issue, they just don't show what's behind me that well.Click to view attachment

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 15 2009, 12:54 PM) *

completely remove it, turn the base round and put it back, I bet you will be shocked

btw TC those mirrors are sick. I don't think I've seen any quite so shiny biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Hey...can some of you get behind your cars and tell me if mine is normal or not?
Ken
carr914
Did you take the mirror off the car, rotate the base around 180?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
I don't think I have any shots from the rear

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Click to view attachment
messix
O

C

D

!
carr914
Hopefully this will help better as I grabbed a mirror out of the garage

T.C.

Correct position of the base

Click to view attachment

In-Correct 180 out & will give you that weird angle

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Yeah...liike I've never heard that before! biggrin.gif
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 15 2009, 02:35 PM) *

O

C

D

!

kenshapiro2002
Really...mine are correctly mounted. I'm gonna fabricate a mount that will get them horizontal.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 15 2009, 03:20 PM) *

Hopefully this will help better as I grabbed a mirror out of the garage

T.C.

Correct position of the base

Click to view attachment

In-Correct 180 out & will give you that weird angle

Click to view attachment

tracks914
Go down to your local wrecking yard and get a set of these. Paint them black or any color you like.
Here is the link to what I did.

Olds Mirrors on a 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.