Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Virus warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neil30076
I'm cross posting this on club site -
In the last week or so, some of you may have got the pop -up that says you are the 10,000 visitor and have won a prize, and then you get a message that your anti virus is out of date, and needs to be updated - if you click on it you go to a site that offers pc antivirus2010 - click on it and you are screwed, there is a new version of an old virus - 'braviax' that systematically kills everything application that can access the internet.
Removal is difficult, I worked with Microsofts AV group for 3 days solid to get back to a working state.
It's not conclusive that either of these sites were the launch point, but on my pc i was on line with both at the exact time the virus got triggered on the pc.
To see if you have the virus do a search on your pc, including all hidden files for the word braviax. If you find it, or if anyone needs more info IM me.
Zundfolge
These phony anti virus popups are pretty common. Had to clean a couple machines up here at the office that got infected with those (didn't take 3 days, I just boot to a Windows Install CD, reformat and reinstall, but we keep all our data on a server so there wasn't anything important to save ... a Linux server FTW biggrin.gif)

This is one reason I highly recommend dumping IE and going with Firefox and adding the AdBlockPlus extension.
neil30076
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 13 2009, 05:11 PM) *

These phony anti virus popups are pretty common. Had to clean a couple machines up here at the office that got infected with those (didn't take 3 days, I just boot to a Windows Install CD, reformat and reinstall, but we keep all our data on a server so there wasn't anything important to save ... a Linux server FTW biggrin.gif)

This is one reason I highly recommend dumping IE and going with Firefox and adding the AdBlockPlus extension.

It killed firefox as well ! AdBlockPlus would not have stopped it - its a trojan, and corrupts root level files.
r_towle
I cannot be downloaded if you use a real anti virus program.
MS has never even been in the running when it comes to virus protection.

AVG, F-prot, McAfee, Symantec.
In that order.

None of them, configured properly, would allow a trojan to be downloaded, nor allow any change whatsoever to the registry.

Keep in mind.
"properly configured"
That means a higher level of security than you have set currently.
Much higher.

Overall, a trojan cannot be activated nor downloaded to your machine if you wear a condom...

Rich
neil30076
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 13 2009, 05:35 PM) *

I cannot be downloaded if you use a real anti virus program.
MS has never even been in the running when it comes to virus protection.

AVG, F-prot, McAfee, Symantec.
In that order.

None of them, configured properly, would allow a trojan to be downloaded, nor allow any change whatsoever to the registry.

Keep in mind.
"properly configured"
That means a higher level of security than you have set currently.
Much higher.

Overall, a trojan cannot be activated nor downloaded to your machine if you wear a condom...

Rich

See my reply on club beerchug.gif
ericread
What's that you say???

You are the 10,000 visitor and you get a free prize!!! YAY!!!

But it turns out to be a hoax and a virus is launched???

SHOCKING!!!

Just be glad you can still get something for nothing from those bankers in Nigeria...

laugh.gif

Seriously, is this yout first time you have ever surfed the Internet?

Sorry, but Internet-based something-for-nothing offer scams are just about as old as the Internet itself...

And FYI: The Nigerian scam is the seventh highest producer of GNP for the country of Nigeria.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.