Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this red hose thingie ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigbohr
Was wondering about the red hose indicated by the yellow arrow in the picture ... idea.gif idea.gif

Does this thing appear on all 914 engines? What is it anyway? confused24.gif

Thanks!
Bigbohr
Of course that picture didn't appear, let's try that again
sj914
That would be the one of the crank case vent tubes. The hose is just used to help plug it up. There should be another one on the other side.
Bigbohr
Are you sure about that? That's the intake pipes you see next to it. The top of the cylinder head seems a loong way from the crankcase. idea.gif
You could be right, I have no idea, just trying to figure it out.

There is also a tube like this on the other cylinder head- same poisition on the head. The one in the picture is on cylinder #2, the one on the opposite side is on #3 cylinder.

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Yep, vent holes. They were originally piped back to the FI intake. They were deleted in the 75 and 76 heads. You can leave them plugged, or route them to the valve on the oil filler.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 9 2004, 04:31 AM)
Yep, vent holes.

agree.gif what he said ^^^^

if you don't know what to do with them and the engine runs fine, leave 'em plugged ...

Andy
Dave_Darling
Especially if you don't want to run high RPMs. (Like 5000 RPM, where max stock power is found.) Or if you want to run high RPMs and have your valve cover gaskets sucked in so you spill oil everywhere.

Many of the race motors add a second, larger vent to the valve cover in order to fight that.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 9 2004, 09:39 AM)
Especially if you don't want to run high RPMs.

my engine never came with the vents and i like to run high RPM.
no suckie suckie yet wink.gif

but i also don't have a valve in my oil-filler cap,
just a straight pipe and a hose to the air-filter.

maybe that is vent enough? confused24.gif
Andy
Bleyseng
Yep vent tubes that should be properly vent back to the air filter.
Why? The rocker covers actually fill half way up with oil and the engine creates alot of inside pressure from the pistons moving back and forth. If you don't vent the sucker it is ALWAYS leaky from everywhere ie: valve cover gaskets, pushrods tubes, oil breather tower etc.
Hook them up.. even the carb guys have to use a oil breather catch thingy!
Geoff
Bigbohr
Thanks a lot for the information guys. One mysterie less ... many to go. Keeps me occupied at least. cool_shades.gif
mharrison
What about heads that don't have them? How is the crankcase vented on these?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mharrison @ Mar 9 2004, 05:51 PM)
What about heads that don't have them? How is the crankcase vented on these?

the heads are not wink.gif
that was my point earlier ...

the crankcase is vented through the hose that goes from the oil filler to the air cleaner. ALL models have that, regardless of the vents in the heads ...

i don't have the head-vents on my car and i also don't have leaking valve covers.

now what? confused24.gif
Andy
Bleyseng
IIRC correctly, the 1.7's and 2.0l engines that have the head vents also have the check valve PVC. The 2.0l's engines that have the air injection have no PVC valve, just a hose. I have no idea about the 1.8's.

Geoff
DNHunt
I'm sure it's a typo. Should be PCV valve for positive crankcase ventilation. The other is pipe. I mix it up all the time too.

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2004, 06:20 PM)
The 2.0l's engines that have the air injection have no PVC valve, just a hose.

that's what i said earlier wink.gif

soooo, if you DONT have a PCV in your filler cap, then you don't need the vents in the heads?
is that it? or what? confused24.gif

i am still confuziust here ...
Andy
Bleyseng
The vents are good and should be installed to help the heads vent. I while ago I tried a test, my nice clean nonleaking engine with the head vents routed to the flashback valve and then to the PCV valve and onto the plenum worked fine. I then changed to the hose from the plenum to the air cleaner. Went AXing and great now the freakin valve covers are leaking.....So I fixed the leaks and went back to the plenum, no leaks.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.