Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Front Shock Tower Finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Couple of questions:

Main question; If I recall from my six, the shock tower black looked like it was applied in a fairly crude manner. I swear it looked like it was brushed on. Any thoughts on how it was applied? Brush? Flat or Semi? Again, from my previous car I'm almost thinking flat with a brush...

Was the same method used under the small secondary engine grills on the body?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 16 2009, 09:07 AM) *

Couple of questions:

Main question; If I recall from my six, the shock tower black looked like it was applied in a fairly crude manner. I swear it looked like it was brushed on. Any thoughts on how it was applied? Brush? Flat or Semi? Again, from my previous car I'm almost thinking flat with a brush...

Front shock tower goo was brushed on. Pretty thick too and over the nuts and plate after alignment.

The under engine grill and top of rubber stop holders was brushed on (thin) on early cars, painted flat black on later cars.

shades.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Danke.
sixnotfour

I dont think so,
on my moms 76 i wiped it with thinner to prep for wurth satin black trim piant and it came right off, guessing it was laquer.
GeorgeRud
Any idea why this "stuff" was applied to the shock towers on the sixes?
r_towle
So to ensure that you are authentic....after you paint a 914/6 you have to apply roofing tar to the body???

Yuck

Rich
914Sixer
Since the completed bodies were sent to Porsche for engines, transmissions and suspension they applied the same steps of completion that they did to the 911's. I have a picture in the 73 deluxe 911 brochure of a guy with a paint bucket of tar applying it to the bottom of a 911. I do not have a scanner or I would post it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 16 2009, 08:25 PM) *

That is a very good question ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
jcd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2009, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 16 2009, 08:25 PM) *

That is a very good question ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy

I have a guess?

They did 911's with the tar stuff so the could seal out water and dirt. You would not want roafd grit on your luggage. Since 914 strut tops are inside the fuel tank/drain tray area the 4cyl cars were not sealed the same as 911 strut tops which are inside the front trunk. The914/6 they did like the 911 becuase they are germans.

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 17 2009, 12:17 PM) *

Since 914 strut tops are inside the fuel tank/drain tray area the 4cyl cars were not sealed the same as 911 strut tops which are inside the front trunk.

Why would it matter to a 914 where the strut tops are located on a 911?
confused24.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2009, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 17 2009, 12:17 PM) *

Since 914 strut tops are inside the fuel tank/drain tray area the 4cyl cars were not sealed the same as 911 strut tops which are inside the front trunk.

Why would it matter to a 914 where the strut tops are located on a 911?

despite the smiley, I have to assume this is rhetorical...
/6's were assembled on the same line in Stuttgart (actually Ludwigsburg, yes?) as 911's (as I know you know) and as much as possible, all the same assembly procedures were used for everything on the line.

So the front suspension guys got instructed to install the upper bearings, torque the nuts, and smear the goo.

It matters to the 911, and it was just superfluous on a 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 17 2009, 04:39 PM) *

despite the smiley, I have to assume this is rhetorical...

Not really. You'd think that Heinz at the assembly line was awake enough to distinguish between a 914/6 and a 911.

Why bother to pick up the goo bucket if it's a 914 in front of you? confused24.gif
Germans are pretty efficient in that regard.

My guess would be that the real reason was to distinguish the 914/6 from the 914/4 and give it more of a "Real Porsche" feeling by applying something that 911 owners could relate to.
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.