Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone had success with recovering a console close to stock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Hi,
has anyone had any success reupolstering a console with gauges? The one I have is looking pretty beat. I'm asuming that the under board is some sort of pressed cardboard and I'm wondering how the did that stitching thing down the center of each side.
anyway, If someone would know, it would be you guys.

Thanks
Steve
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hi : As it happens I have been woundering the same thing, I have 1 with the vinyl

pulled of the frame ready to recover. And another one ready for that.

From another project I know the vinyl is very expencive , The guy i am makeing

a coustom gauge panel for had to order a ridiculous amount . At a ridiculous

price ! On to your Ques. that stiching on the enges is from a piecs of plastic , with

the stich pattern in it . I imagine they have a porcess ( much like Vaccum Forming

the sucks the vinyl in to those littlt spaces ) I will leave those on the console I

recover as it ,IMO leaves a more finished look. You will also need to find a sourse

for the thin foam padding that goes under the vinyl. If you do let me know as i

need it for both projects. Try fabric shops that sell to sowers and quilters.

Dave slap.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have come close but there is no way to duplicate heat seamed stitching with real thread.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 17 2009, 07:21 AM) *

we have come close but there is no way to duplicate heat seamed stitching with real thread.

Guess I'll start looking for a nicer one.
Cheers
Steve
DonnyT
I just took mine to a buddy who does upholstery work to have it redone. He was intrigued by the factory vinyl. He said the same thing, that it's a very thin material, and is stretched, then heat (welded) at the seams. Said he could not replicate it. So I opted to have him use regular vinyl and sew the outside corner along the side panels.
I'll pick it up in a week or so, and let you know how it came out / and cost.

His shop is in Santa Margarita, CA.

-Don
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(DonnyT @ Aug 17 2009, 11:02 PM) *

I just took mine to a buddy who does upholstery work to have it redone. He was intrigued by the factory vinyl. He said the same thing, that it's a very thin material, and is stretched, then heat (welded) at the seams. Said he could not replicate it. So I opted to have him use regular vinyl and sew the outside corner along the side panels.
I'll pick it up in a week or so, and let you know how it came out / and cost.

His shop is in Santa Margarita, CA.

-Don

Cheers Don,
I would love to see it.
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.