Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jackstads with a twist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
A fella here expressed interest in my "boxes" which I use in lieu of jackstands.
These may become excess to my needs soon.??

KaptKaos
You're braver than I am. screwy.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Aug 17 2009, 12:40 PM) *

Why?

At roughly 500lbs per box, that is really not that bad.
Just move it slowly.

I built a metal setup that is tied together and I find it annoying to work on the middle of the car with the bars in the way....

JP's design is also good to sit on and drink when your done.

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Aug 17 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Joe,

Those are plenty strong. We would have to know the thickness of the plywood, the specs on the wheels, and the type of fastener but I would guess he could put 1000# more on there... The force is well distributed. Plus, being square, they store easily.
plas76targa
I agree. I had a neighbor who made similar boxes to hold up his boat. The boat wasn't a small dingy either - close to 20 ft, all wood with a 318 Chrysler inboard. Details on the box construction would be appreciated?
URY914
1 x 4's and 1/4" plywood held with Elmers glue
ConeDodger
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 17 2009, 10:08 AM) *

1 x 4's and 1/4" plywood held with Elmers glue

That's all you would need Paul lol-2.gif Consider balsa wood for your car...
krazykonrad
How did you get the car jacked up that high?

Konrad
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 17 2009, 12:46 PM) *

Konrad

Thats exactly what I was thinking?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 17 2009, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 17 2009, 12:46 PM) *

Konrad

Thats exactly what I was thinking?

me too!
J P Stein
They are stout. The basic dimension is pieced @16 X 16 inches......this allows for 2 strips of 16 X 96 inches from a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood plus another that is about 15 3/4 inches wide. The top, bottom & 2 sides are 16 X 16. the other 2 sides are 14 1/2 wide X 16 tall. There are 1 1/2 inch bracing at the inner corners & a X brace inside.....bout 14 1/2 X 16...2 pcs....top to bottom, side to side.....all screwed & glued together. A 360deg caster at each corner makes them about 22 1/2 inches tall. Figure 3 sheets of 3/4 ply for 4 boxes but I don't remember exactly. A table saw is gud to have.
Strong is gud.....overkill is my middle name, rather than squashed.....or Gint.biggrin.gif
The weakest link are the casters. The rubber tires tend to flat spot.
I can roll the car around on them alone, but 2 people are safer.

To jack the car. People always ask....I have around 15 inches of lift on my floor jack. jack up one end to max lift & block the car up...do the same at the other end.
Put blocks on the jack pad....I use 12 X 4 X 15 s......bout 3 of these is all that will fit, then up again, block in place......turn the "boxes" on their sides for blocking, repeat as required to get the car up far enuff to get the long end of my jack stands upright.......then a bit more to get 32 inches, floor to rear bulkhead. This lets me get my fully dresed 6 into the place it needs to go. It takes me about 45 minutes to do the trick by my self.Some times I only go up part way.

A engine drop needs it all the way up.

In my younger day in the shipyards we would often have a 50 ton module balanced on jacks & shores and move that sucker around....never dropped one of those either. Only rookies drop stuff....once. biggrin.gif This is a walk in the park by comparison.
J P Stein
I hate (fear) jack stands.
One box.
Chris Pincetich
JP, way to think "on top of the box"
laugh.gif
KaptKaos
I appreciate your guys' opinions on this. I might use these in conjunction with pinned jack stands, but I still don't like these. It might be irrational, but they worry me.
ClayPerrine
Be careful talking about jack stands..... You might just set off Gint!! poke.gif lol-2.gif
TravisNeff
haHA!
cwpeden
Judging by the pic you've been using those boxes for 6+ years?

I'd say they've proven themselves....

I went with 4" hard wheel casters myself, rated at 400lb per wheel
type47
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 17 2009, 11:46 AM) *

lift the car up by bumper with one hand, slide the box under with the other... rolleyes.gif
degreeoff
serious overkill IMHO....that car wieghs squat next to those boxes holding power......

Josh
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 18 2009, 02:26 AM) *

haHA!

lol-2.gif

I knew if I said that someone would find and post this picture.... av-943.gif

Hi Gint!!! lol-2.gif poke.gif

TravisNeff
for a brief moment I thought he was going to throw that jackstand at my head.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 18 2009, 10:59 PM) *

for a brief moment I thought he was going to throw that jackstand at my head.

Naaa... by that time he was too drunk to hit anything but the ground..... drunk.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.