Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to boost my post count
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
These two helmets were painted for two Pelican 911 posters. I may have posted a link earlier showing the first thread, but I'm looking for more info from my friends.

While these two were actually give-aways, I need to figure if I could sell something similar. Would anyone buy designs of this quality and of so, how much would you be willing to pay. I need honest feedback, good or bad.

Thanks,
djm914-6
and the last one shipped yesterday...
seanery
Let's see the back of the OMP.

I think they look nice. Are you clear coating them?
djm914-6
Yes, I am clear coating them if the customer desires. With my studio located in the house, I'm only using rattle can clear. I tried an automotive clear, but couldn't get the gloss I wanted so I went back to Krylon. It's durable and glossy without buffing. I can also leave without clear, but shipping it that way could be a problem. Also some designs will require me to clear during the painting. The stars and stripes was cleared between each color then cleared several times before being stripped and cleared again afterwards. I wet sanded it between each clear.

edit: side note: The visor on the top helmet was painted and the lettering was a customer provided sticker used as a mask. I won't make that mistake again. Taking off the stickers pulled up a lot of paint so the letters had to be freehand painted afterwards. The stars and stripes visor has a sticker made my the customer. I din't paint any of that.

Here's the back... Keep in mind that this was my first attempt at freehand pin stripping. I'll have much more practice before I do another.
Bruce Allert
DJM...
she's got nice helmets clap56.gif
Great job on your helmets beer.gif
What kind & brand of paint do you use?
bruce
Lawrence
Ummm.. nice helmets, Dave.

Can I have the original photo that's in your avatar? smile.gif

-Rusty
seanery
Dave it looks nice!

I like the Krylon clear, too. I painted my sixers shroud silver and used their clear, you can nice results too, if you're patient.

Good Luck, you should be able to get some bizniss here.

C'mon guys paint them ugly whites!
djm914-6
Ok Rusty, by now you should have 5 emails packed full. I hope you have a good connection. biggrin.gif

I need a favor from you in return. Please look at the Stars and Stripes helmet and tell me if you see a problem. Upon seing that problem, would you not wear it without painting it first? If any other military officer would like to chime in on this, I'd appreciate it.

Bruce, I am just using the same paints that I use on my shirts, Createx. I add a bonding agent and catalyst to the paint. Sometime in the future I'll switch to House Of Color for better durability... if I recover from a recent blow enough to do another.

seanery, I'm not looking for business here, just feed back.

Thanks all,
djm914-6
For what it's worth, here is the initial sketch that the flag helmet owner emailed me. The problem he sees on my finished design also exists in his design. I could have done exactly as he wanted, but on a 3D object, it looked really awkward. The way I finished it, the design flowed better.

I'm about as patriotic as anyone... in the service or not... but I don't understand why the owner doesn't want to wear the helmet. It's a Stars and Stripes design, not an actual flag.

Am I just not getting his point?
Jeroen
Hey Dave,

Check out this link I'm sure you'll like it!

cheers,

Jeroen
Lawrence
Dave,

Thanks for the pics. There are some in your collection that I don't have.

Did you get the ones that I posted for download a while back?

-Rusty
Lawrence
BTW, I should actually comment on the thread. smile.gif

Dave, if I ever get my own helmet, I'll send it to you for painting! Pretty cool stuff.

-Rusty
djm914-6
Jeroen, thanks for the link. I thought I had seen them all, but that one is new to me.

Rusty, Yup, I got the initial downloads. I'm hoping to use one or two on a tee shirt soon.

I've descided not to worry about the helmet problem and chaulk it up to a learning experience. I also descided not to repaint it, at least not for free. For those uncertain about the problem, the flag image looks upside down. I do understand the guys point, but with the design the way he wanted it, it will always look that way. Working a design in 3D is much harder than many people think. If one isn't open to a change in a design so that it works better, than they need to accept some oddities.

Oh well. Back to the job search and Hershey preperations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.