Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for shifter parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
What is the best source for shifter rebuild parts for a '71 914 1.7 converted to a 2.7/901 side-shift?

In particular I'm need of the protective covers at the transmission and the linkage joint aft of the firewall. I have an assortment of bushings that I hope will fit what ever has been installed for linkage by the previous owner who performed the conversion.

ps - Yesterday, the car made it's maiden appearance on the track at Pacific Raceways in Seattle. We ran it for about 10 laps as a “test and tune” during a Proformance Racing lapping day. The oil temp leveled off at about 245. The 911SC brakes worked quite well with the stock proportioning valve.

We ran 27/28 psi for tire pressures on the 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 Yokohama A008R SII tires on 7 & 8 inch wheels. The handling seemed quite balanced, but we were only running at about 70%.

Thanks

Eddie
Bleyseng
High Preformance House (call Brad or Rich), Pelican Parts have most of what you need. GPR sells a bronze bushings for the shifthousing at the tranny thats nice.
The covers and rubber boot will have to come from HPH as those usually are available used.
Let me know if you want some help sorting out the shifter. I fought mine till I finally got it tight.
Glad to hear the car ran well at the track.
Geoff smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
245F is pretty hot, dude....
Bleyseng
no external oil cooler, yet I think MikeZ
Eddie914
External cooler is on the way! 245 is way too hot a 70 degree day.

What is a good source for oil cooler lines and fittings.

I already have a oil cooler and I plan on fabbing up my own duct.

We are running a 2.7 with 40mm Webers and a Mark Stephens oil tank. I'm planning on running the lines along the passenger side rocker panel.

Should I use hard lines or flexible lines?

Thanks

Eddie
Mueller
for the lines: Summit Racing or Racer Wholesale(??)
Bleyseng
If you have money get the flexible line with the metal braiding so it wont rub a hole it it off the body. Much safer for track use and those cool AN colored fittings.
How big is the oil cooler?
Here is pic of a GT set up.

Geoff
boxstr
The cover for the side shifter linkage can be purchased from a Porsche dealer. Used are usually "very" used.
CCLINALLUSEDUP
Dave_Darling
If you're going to get new parts, it's worth at least a phone call (especially if it's toll-free!) to your favorite mail-order retailer to see if they can get it--and what it will cost you from them. Chances are that your dealer doesn't have one in stock, which means it will take about the same amount of time to go mail-order as local.

And hey, if the dealer beats the mail-order place's price, you get it there!

--DD
Eddie914
I'll get a picture of the cooler. Don't grimmace but it came off a .... BMW M5!
Bleyseng
Oh, Eddie sent me a pic of the car that needs shifting help....
914to6
The cooler in question fits nicely in the front grill. It is OEM for a 275 hp 3.5L BMW dual cam motor.

The only real questions we have are about the distance from the motor and the fitting size is dash 10.

So far, we haven't cut the spoiler nor enlarged the factory sheet metal openings. We'll do that when we run the lines.

Any suggestions on trick custom fabrication for a cooler shroud, or a source for a GT style shroud?

Walt
Bleyseng
Here is a pic of the factory oil cooler shroud that is replicated by Dante designs for only $1475.
Bleyseng
The factory used brass lines for the oil cooler like this.
They need to be cleaned with Brasso after every race so they look nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.