Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do stock front and rear valences look like? (pics inside)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
curt914
Hi Guys

I’m taking a closer look at the valences on my car.

Actually, I have a front valence but am missing the rear valence.

I have a 1973 2.0 and I’m trying to figure out if the front valence that is on my car is correct (stock).

Even though I’m sitting on the central coast of CA, I have not actually seen that many 914’s in person.
So I have been looking at pics of 914’s here on 914World.

First pic is of my car, and as you can see, the front valence is kind of like an air dam.

Now take a look at the next photo of the red 914 (a killer looking 914, in my opinion).

The front valence on that car is very different than the one I have. And in my opinion, I think it does more for the car’s looks.
It helps smooth and finish the 914 body flow. Same for the rear valence.

But which one is correct? Are they both stock, but from different years or model trim?

What are the chances that I could buy a front and rear valence like the ones on the red car?

Thanks guys. smile.gif

Curt

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tat2dphreak
top one is a LE spoiler, stock on LE cars.

bottom is stock

rear on the bottom is early stock, later they went to a shorter rear valance IIRC

btw, I agree with you. I like the stock on both. my rear stock one is in BAD shape. buit I haven't found a replacement.
curt914
Hey...thanks for the info.

But just to be sure (since on my computer, the pictures are showing up side by side)

The LE spoiler you refer to is on the silver car and thats correct for that year car(1973).

And the early valences you refer to are are on the red car. Do I have that right?

SO.. it would not be correct (from an originality standpoint) to have the valences like the ones on the red car on a 1973 car?

But I wonder if there is any reason why they would not fit anyway if I found a set?

As you can tell, I really like the early ones and what they do for the cars looks.

Thanks again

Curt
tat2dphreak
And the early valences you refer to are are on the red car. Do I have that right?

yes.

The LE spoiler you refer to is on the silver car and thats correct for that year car(1973).

define "correct" I'm not sure what cars, besides the LE that that spoiler was "original" it seems to be the most popular aftermarket for sure, tho

I believe the front valances on the red car were used on 73 too, rear valance was slightly different.

my question is this... what do YOU want? if you want the early type, go for it! ask Pat Garvey about concourse stuff, it's not important to me to be 'concourse correct'

either one is correct enough for a driver, imo. they both keep a nice stock look. they all fit.

I just pulled off a LE spoiler for a fiberglass "stock" one.

they all fit, so do what you want YOUR car to look like. smile.gif

I'm doing what I want to mine, and if anyone hates it, they can buy it for a lot of money and make it the way "they think" it should be.... I like the stock look too, FWIW and it would look sick on the silver car.
Shade Tree
The red car has the stock non-le valance. If your car isn't a limited edition 914, the valances on the red car are correct. I'm working on straightening a set as well. The rear seems hard to find. I got one from a pick-a-part.
curt914
Hey Guys

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

I just wanted to know what it is that I had and what to call the valences on the red car since thats what I want.

For me, Im going with the early type if I can get my hands on a front and rear.

My car is not an LE anyway.

Oh wait, what color would you paint the early valences on a silver car (mine).

Body color or match the black side panels.

I like the body color valences myself.

OK, well thanks again

Curt

Grelber
Wayne: Did you ask Wes about Mike's parts stash in the storage units across from Wes' shop? Mike has LOTS of parts there. I got a near-new splash pan and a nice chrome rear bumper from him.
Shade Tree
QUOTE(curt914 @ Aug 18 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Hey Guys

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

I just wanted to know what it is that I had and what to call the valences on the red car since thats what I want.

For me, Im going with the early type if I can get my hands on a front and rear.

My car is not an LE anyway.

Oh wait, what color would you paint the early valences on a silver car (mine).

Body color or match the black side panels.

I like the body color valences myself.

OK, well thanks again

Curt

Stock would be flat black. Visit the originality forum for super detailed info on that. I think it looks better that way anyway. There is a touch of texture to the stock finish....I think.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Grelber @ Aug 18 2009, 06:38 PM) *

Wayne: Did you ask Wes about Mike's parts stash in the storage units across from Wes' shop? Mike has LOTS of parts there. I got a near-new splash pan and a nice chrome rear bumper from him.

I haven't asked him about that. he already gave me a great rain tray with the smallest of cracks that JB weld could fix...

I just came from over there too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.