Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bugger! Stripped thread on case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
The temp sensor thread on my case is stripped. As I was unscrewing the blanking bolt I realised that particles of the thread came out and some nice silvery oil. Eeek!
Is there any way to repair this? I realise this will be probably be an engine out job for access but being as this is on the main oil galley's I don't really want a bad leak and metallic particles going straight to my cams :?

I'm thinking of trying to bond the plug back in somehow and hopefully clean up/catch some of the crap by removing the right side cam line and poking some Q-tips down. Perhaps cranking the engine over to flush some oil through first might clear any particles?

Any suggestions gratefully received :|

In order to fit the temp sensor now I'll have to use a block like on the SC I guess.
jaybird840
Do you lurk on the Bird Board at all? If so, send a PM to Craig Garrett (CGarr is his username) He did all the machine work on my 2.7 case for my six build. He helped me through a couple of dicey situations with mine. His reputation and work are top notch--I would listen closely to his advice. Hope that helps!!
SLITS
If you retap it for a timecert or helicoil, use heavy grease on the drill and tap ... the grease will catch the shards.

Alternatively, you could direct the suction hose of a shop vacuum to pull the shards while you drill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.