Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you guys think about this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I am going to add a low spoiler to the front of my conversion 6 with GT flares. I understand that will raise the temperture of the engine. So, I was trying to think of a way to get additional air to the engine. Then it struck me, Porsche has already thought of that, Side Air Vents. In looking at it, the vents would seem to be in the right place for this to work if I can miss the hinge for the engine grill.

Since I do not have the flares on yet, I had to borrow a picture.

Cool factor aside, Do you think this would work?

Has anyone done it?

Click to view attachment
These flares

Click to view attachment
with these side vents

carr914
I've seen it done and it always end up looking like a Toyota MR2. If you have a proper cooler you will not have a problem.

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 18 2009, 04:05 PM) *

Has anyone done it?

It's been done. On a stock /6, the oil tank is in the way as well as the battery.

Most side-vents on a 914 i have seen have been in the "hackjob" category.

I'd like to see someone come up with a solution that works AND looks like it's supposed to be there ...
shades.gif Andy
Shade Tree
Ok, no expert here but it seems that the spoiler isn't reducing any air going IN to the engine, it's decreasing the ability for the hot air to be pulled away from the bottom. I don't see how adding more air in to the top would help. You'd need to find a way to pull more away from the bottom.

Isn't it one of those rules of physics that it's easier to pull air than to push air?
Elliot Cannon
I added a scoop to my left rocker panel but it is there to duct air to an aux. oil cooler. I don't know how much air goes through it, I never tried to measure it. I installed a fairly low front valance and I noticed the oil temps running a little warmer than usual and this seemed to help.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 18 2009, 06:27 PM) *

I added a scoop to my left rocker panel but it is there to duct air to an aux. oil cooler. I don't know how much air goes through it, I never tried to measure it. I installed a fairly low front valance and I noticed the oil temps running a little warmer than usual and this seemed to help.

Yeah...but you are eccentric!

av-943.gif bye1.gif
Cheapsnake
Glad you asked cuz I'm planning on the same thing for my V8 conversion. Aside from the realities of getting around all the crap hanging on the engine compartment bulkheads, my main concern is making it look like it belongs there and not just a J.C. Whitney appendage. I hope to be at that point in a month or so and if I come up with a decent solution I'll post it here.

BTW, thanks for the pic of your car, it's just about what I'm hoping mine to look like if it's ever finished.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.