Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Advice from someone with Experience!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
Right now i have a LONG glasspack and a short one that is around the bend heading to the stock location. 2 glasspacks. It is fairly quiet when idle and lower RPM and when i get on it.....The resonance is a little too annoying. But from what i have hear from friends is that it sounds AWESOME when passed.

I know i know, i love the sound too, but i am trying to make this car the most user friendly too.

So...question is. What muffler can make my car quiet but flows. 2.0 Turbo EJ20 Subaru TD05 turbo. Subaru stock STI airbox with K&N (that muffled it quite a bit)

thanks guys!!
r_towle
Im not sure what real estate you are working in for space, but Cherry bomb makes a great muffler (oval, free flowing) that is intended for a dual exhaust 8 cylinder....but you only need one.

AutoZone carries them for 17 bucks...
Its the same size as the bursch muffler.

Decent flow, quieter than class packs, and it still sounds nice.

Rich
Project 6
Muffs are cheap. So is the labor. Borrow a sound meter, go to a shop and tell them you want to stay below "X" dbA thru the full rev cycle with no resonance.

Ain't rocket science.....I've done it many times.
turboman808
Such a pain in the ass to get aftermarket mufflers.

I swapped out the stock 911 banana for magnaflow tru-x mufflers. It's quieter then the stock one but thats really not saying much. Full rpm it roars like a banshee. Low RPMs and it is quiet enough to keep the cops away.
DBCooper
Another Magnaflow, on a 914/WRX:

IPB Image

You don't need as much muffler with a turbo car. It's quiet around town, nice on the freeway, sounds like half of a very angry V8 until it passes about 5000 RPM's, then it just screams. I like it.

JJ914GT
I also need to decide on a muffler for my EJ20 STI conversion. Hope to hear if you find a muffler that works, I'm looking for exactly the same I think. Not too loud, but a nice low rumble,..
Nana's_914
If it works for a rotary it will work on anything, so long as it fits.
IPB Image
http://racingbeat.com/FRmazda1.htm
3" - PN# 16030 - $118
2-1/2" - PN# 16025 - $108
budman5201
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2009, 03:36 AM) *

Another Magnaflow, on a 914/WRX:

IPB Image

You don't need as much muffler with a turbo car. It's quiet around town, nice on the freeway, sounds like half of a very angry V8 until it passes about 5000 RPM's, then it just screams. I like it.

Hey hows the resonance with the magnaflow, guess thats what i am really trying to deaden. I heard mags have a lot of resonance.
charliew
Backpressure is not what you want on a turbo car. All the high performance exhausts for suby's are straight through exhaust with a chamber around the through tube. Like a supressor on a gun.

On the suby the exhaust is long and that helps but the 914 has a very short exhaust length and thats where the challange lies. You might try a super trap as they are adjustable with the diffuser disks and can be easily changed.

I don't see how a turbo suby can be quiet in a 914 and still give good performance.

I will use the biggest two or three chamber ss 2.5 in muffler I can squeeze in and just live with what sound it makes.
DBCooper
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Aug 19 2009, 03:54 PM) *

Hey hows the resonance with the magnaflow, guess thats what i am really trying to deaden. I heard mags have a lot of resonance.

Haven't heard that in my car at all. You'll get resonance with a N/A engine with big cubic inches, not so much with the little turbo four banger. That turbo chops the noise up pretty well. Around town the Magnaflow is great, low and serious, almost polite. On the freeway it's like my Volvo. But on the throttle and in higher revs you definitely know it is pissed off and has very bad intentions. Not Blue Cheer loud, but just enough.

I like mine, but if you decide you want to change it later it's not that big a deal. Summit or Jegs have little 14 inch turbo mufflers with big inlets and outlets that would work fine. Put in a flange, change them according to what you're in the mood for, Saturday night or Sunday morning.
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Haven't heard that in my car at all. You'll get resonance with a N/A engine with big cubic inches, not so much with the little turbo four banger. That turbo chops the noise up pretty well. Around town the Magnaflow is great, low and serious, almost polite. On the freeway it's like my Volvo. But on the throttle and in higher revs you definitely know it is pissed off and has very bad intentions. Not Blue Cheer loud, but just enough.

I like mine, but if you decide you want to change it later it's not that big a deal. Summit or Jegs have little 14 inch turbo mufflers with big inlets and outlets that would work fine. Put in a flange, change them according to what you're in the mood for, Saturday night or Sunday morning.

What is your motor setup?
HP and torque and transmission?

And, what type of gas mileage do you get?

Rich
budman5201
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 19 2009, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2009, 11:07 PM) *

What is your motor setup?
HP and torque and transmission?

And, what type of gas mileage do you get?

Rich

ej20 Japan Version TD05 Turbo, stock STI airbox with k&n, free flow exhaust with 2 VERY OPEN custom glasspacks cut to max length possible for rear of 914.

HP 252, Torque 262

Gas mileage, so far sorry....havent been able to lay off the throttle. (too much fun) estimate around 28 mpg. (my AFR 14.7 at all freeway speeds) 65-70 mph 3100 rpm

budman5201
i'll weld up a nice flange before the 2nd glasspack so i can swap in a magnaflow. I need a little more practice with my TIG anyways.
DBCooper
That's funny, I can't manage to drive mine "normally" either. Haven't even tried. That would be hard!

My engine is the stock WRX EJ20 with the intake tumblers removed, K&N, aftermarket intake and I/C, STI crossover. EMS Stinger. We got just over 200 torque and HP at the wheels, so a bit less than Budman's. The intercooler's not in the best location, so we're running it a bit fat and boost is limited to 10 lbs. Stock 901 transmission, 205-50-16 tires. If driven normally the mileage should be near what you'd see in a stock Subaru WRX, but it's so much fun to drive that's probably going to remain theoretical.
budman5201
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 20 2009, 05:15 AM) *

That's funny, I can't manage to drive mine "normally" either. Haven't even tried. That would be hard!

My engine is the stock WRX EJ20 with the intake tumblers removed, K&N, aftermarket intake and I/C, STI crossover. EMS Stinger. We got just over 200 torque and HP at the wheels, so a bit less than Budman's. The intercooler's not in the best location, so we're running it a bit fat and boost is limited to 10 lbs. Stock 901 transmission, 205-50-16 tires. If driven normally the mileage should be near what you'd see in a stock Subaru WRX, but it's so much fun to drive that's probably going to remain theoretical.

Just as a note, i have a tuned down map for daily driving that matches close to your horsepower numbers with only about 9 lbs boost. Very driveable and still a TON of fun with 91 octane Chevron AZ gas.
DBCooper
I was in Tempe just last week. Gp there for the Eegee's brain freeze!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.