Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distro vacuum hose capped off..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
On my 1.7l one of the distributors vacuum hoses is disconnected and a bolt chucked in the end, why would this be? My mechanic servicing it has just spotted this and said that it would be giving me zero advance, so wants to obviously reconnect as per standard.

Any ideas why this would have been done by the PO??
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rod @ Aug 19 2009, 05:33 AM) *

On my 1.7l one of the distributors vacuum hoses is disconnected and a bolt chucked in the end, why would this be? My mechanic servicing it has just spotted this and said that it would be giving me zero advance, so wants to obviously reconnect as per standard.

A lot of 914s had the vacuum advance hose disconnected from the factory. The distributor only used the vacuum retard port. It didn't even need the hose on the vacuum advance, but a lot of mechanics would see the fitting and assume that a hose was supposed to be there.

Both the vacuum advance (when needed) and the vacuum retard went to the throttle body. Do you have 2 fittings on the throttle body or just one?

Rod
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 19 2009, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Aug 19 2009, 05:33 AM) *

A lot of 914s had the vacuum advance hose disconnected from the factory. The distributor only used the vacuum retard port. It didn't even need the hose on the vacuum advance, but a lot of mechanics would see the fitting and assume that a hose was supposed to be there.

Both the vacuum advance (when needed) and the vacuum retard went to the throttle body. Do you have 2 fittings on the throttle body or just one?

It has two.
jmill
You will still get mechanical advance so his comment above zero advance is incorrect. The dizzy is vacu-mechanical.
blitZ
If the retard side is plugged the advance may not move as freely as it should. I have a two sided port vacuum pot and the retard side is open.
SirAndy
QUOTE(blitZ @ Aug 19 2009, 08:00 AM) *

I have a two sided port vacuum pot and the retard side is open.

agree.gif
That's how they came from the factory.

Unplug it and leave the hose open and tugged away under the air filter.
shades.gif Andy
Rod
So if the car were yours what would you do? So far I have three options..

Leave it capped
Remove the cap and leave it open
Reconnect it

Which should it be??

I don't want him to f'u' my car..

He said that when he reconnected it, he had to reset the timing....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rod @ Aug 19 2009, 09:35 AM) *

Which should it be??

It was never meant to be connected to anything, nor was it meant to be plugged, so i would go with the factory option of "Remove the cap and leave it open" ...

shades.gif Andy

PS: Whatever you do, you should set your timing anyways.
McMark
So if the car were yours what would you do?

If it were my car, factory motor = factory setup. Check your engine number, match that with what FI you have and then look up the vacuum hose diagram and follow it.

You're not going to magically gain something by plugging in something that shouldn't be. In fact, you could over-advance and ping your motor to death.
SLITS
The only time you're going to get vacuum advance is when the motor is pulling good vacuum ... (now there's a brainstorm)

1.) Cruise @ steady throttle (gas mileage)

2.) Deacceleration with closed throttle (emissions control supposedly)

All the advance you need for rapid lol2.gif acceleration is mechanical ...

Rod
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 19 2009, 06:46 PM) *

So if the car were yours what would you do?

If it were my car, factory motor = factory setup. Check your engine number, match that with what FI you have and then look up the vacuum hose diagram and follow it.

You're not going to magically gain something by plugging in something that shouldn't be. In fact, you could over-advance and ping your motor to death.

Ok so going by factory settings it should be connected - as per this diagram? The later 2.0 models had only one hose connected..

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm

IPB Image

If the above is right - this is the way it has now been connected up and timing re-set smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.