Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shoulder harness mount rules
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Cupomeat
Does anyone know the rules reagrding shoulder harness termination for DE?

We are building a 914 track car and it has a cage (CFR weld in) in it, that ties into the firewall behind the seats in three places across the firewall.

Can we terminate the shoulder harnesses at the roll cage, or does it need to be terminated at the firewall and looped over (through steel keeper loops)the cage horizontal bar at the firewall?

Any assistance would be helpful!

Thanks
jt914-6
The '09 Club Racing rule book says the the shoulder harness from the back of the shoulders cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizonal plane of the shoulders.
You can download the rule book off the PCA website under Club Racing.....Hope this helps....
Cupomeat
Yes, thanks, Looks like we are going to mount the harness to the Roll cage.

I appreciate the help.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 19 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I appreciate the help.

The rollcage is fine as long as the height requirement is met. If you haven't painted the rollcage yet, consider adding a thin "loop" to keep the straps from moving on the cage-bar.

Looks much cleaner than zipties ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2009, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 19 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I appreciate the help.

The rollcage is fine as long as the height requirement is met. If you haven't painted the rollcage yet, consider adding a thin "loop" to keep the straps from moving on the cage-bar.

Looks much cleaner than zipties ...
biggrin.gif Andy

Have any pictures of that "loop?"
Cupomeat
Thanks Again,

Yes, we intend to add the steel loops to the Cage cross bar, and yes, it has been painted, but that is the easy stuff!

Now, to figure out how to mount the seats to get enough flexibility in height for both drivers to fit (5" height delta).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 19 2009, 11:06 AM) *

Now, to figure out how to mount the seats to get enough flexibility in height for both drivers to fit (5" height delta).

Custom aluminum sidepanels with a row of mounting holes work OK. You'd still have to undo 4 bolts move the seat up and bolt it back on, but it'll give you 5" to work with.

If one of you is over about 6'1", consider removing the cross brace on the floor and mounting the sidepanels directly to the floor. That'll give you another 2" of headroom for the larger driver.

driving.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 19 2009, 09:57 AM) *

Have any pictures of that "loop?"

Yes. But not on this computer. I'll post some later tonight.
bye1.gif Andy
roadster fan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2009, 12:36 PM) *

consider removing the cross brace on the floor and mounting the sidepanels directly to the floor. That'll give you another 2" of headroom for the larger driver.

Hey Andy,

Do you have to replace the cross brace with something else? Move it forward? I have thought about this as a way to lower the seat but am concerned about changing the chassis strength. I will be putting in a Engman long kit but interested in real world results from someone who has done it or seen it done.

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 31 2009, 03:40 AM) *

Do you have to replace the cross brace with something else? Move it forward? I have thought about this as a way to lower the seat but am concerned about changing the chassis strength. I will be putting in a Engman long kit but interested in real world results from someone who has done it or seen it done.

I seriously doubt that cross brace adds much support. I think it was added to mount the stock seat rails.

In any case, one way to do this is to remove the cross brace and weld in two square steel tubes front and rear to mount the seat rails to.
That way, you don't have to rely on flimsy sheetmetal to hold your seat in place.

I don't have pics here right now ...
shades.gif Andy
sean_v8_914
enjoy the read.
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Co...nstructions.pdf
d914
Click to view attachment

what do you guys think about these.. use for street, much easier for compliance, shoulder tied into lap, sub to keep the lap where it needs to be.. Less pieces to tie into each time....legal for DE's??
sean_v8_914
show me the label
campbellcj
As I recall, the POC rules at the time I installed my harnesses stated that both sets (driver and passenger) could not connect to the same part of the car; so, I mounted the driver's belts to the firewall using the big backing plates from Schroth, and the passenger belts to the cage. So far, so good with that setup.
HAM Inc
If you will be wearing arm restraints I recommend that you don't use the latch and link style. Somehow the arm restraints unlatched my latch&link harness, twice! I went to the knob style after that!
campbellcj
I agree - I've found I prefer the pull-up style camlock (knob) belts for the 914. Pull-down belts are tough with the tight clearance on the sides if the seats.
tomeric914
Well, 6 months later and the harnesses are finally going in. Sub strap and shoulder harness mounting was easy. I thought I would be able to mount the lap belts to the same points as the stock location AND keep the street belts but it's not working as I had planned.

How have others mounted their lap belts? To the floor with eye bolts for easy removal when not at the track? Anybody have pictures of where they were bolted through?
campbellcj
I used the eye bolts supplied by Schroth in the stock holes. They are reinforced and in the correct location geometry-wise.
tomeric914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 7 2010, 11:10 AM) *

I used the eye bolts supplied by Schroth in the stock holes. They are reinforced and in the correct location geometry-wise.

The kicker for those that don't know, is that the seatbelt bolts are SAE 7/16-20 thread. They are not metric! Good to know that Schroth's have the right thread pitch.

I didn't go the eye bolt route and need to source them. I'll see how quickly I can get them through Schroth.

Did you also retain your stock belts?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:49 AM) *

The kicker for those that don't know, is that the seatbelt bolts are SAE 7/16-20 thread. They are not metric!

Wrong!!
7/16-20 just happens to be the same as 11x1.25, at least close enough that nuts and bolts usually can't tell the difference. bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif

Most harness suppliers also sell appropriate eyebolts.
campbellcj
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:49 AM) *

Did you also retain your stock belts?

Nope, I did not keep the stock belts. Interior is fully gutted for racing, other than a stock dash.

I suspect you can get the eye bolts from various sources, such as Pegasus or any shop that sells race harnesses and seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.