Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
velum
Hi everybody,

The fuel pump in my '73 914 2.0L FI is leaking and I need to replace it. I was a bit upset to discover that this part is discontinued, and then I found "rebuilds" at AutomobileAtlanta. Well, after installing three of their so called "rebuilds" that were not working, they admitted that they are selling imitations made in China (http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...ial_number=7902). headbang.gif They will refund me, but what a watse of time.

Now, I am not sure of what I can do. I searched the web, and all I can find are all kinds of fuel pumps for the 914 (like inline fuel pumps) that have only two hose connections on them. Mine has three. I also read discussion threads from people using non-oem fuel pumps in their 914s and some of them had problems after a while. In other words, I would feel much better, if I could find an OEM fuel pump. Do you know if someone still sells them?

Another alternative would be to fix my fuel pump, but I don't know if that is possible at all.

Cheers!

JF
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no admission here. We have many many parts made in China and Taiwan with great success. We investigated this firm before we contracted and the company in Germany said that they were reliable. We did not anticipate a 20% failure rate.
As an alternative, we still have the fuel injection rebuilds on the shelf which have a really low non working rate and sell them as an alternative. We test each pump new or rebuild electrically before sending but many times the pumps take a shot of debris and immediately do not pump or lock up. Very important to clean the fuel lines and tank first as the pumps are immersed in the gasoline
Joe Bob
Any fuel pump that meets the pressure rating/flow/gpm for your carb or fuel injection system will work. If you need more delivery points, down stream splitters work.

Just make sure the hoses, filters and fittings exceed the pressure rating for the pump.
velum
The original fuel pump in my car has three hose connecitons, whereas other ones only have two. What should I do about that third connection? I think it goes back to the fuel tank.

Cheers!

JF
SLITS
Just buy the single in / single out used on the '75-'76. The third tit on the stock pump is useless and probably causes more problems than it can cure.

You just remove the "T" in the return line.
type47
Investigate the fuel line, fuel pump arrangement for a 75-76 fuel pump. The factory 75-76 pump is a 2 port pump so maybe you can adapt it to your pre 75. Another possibilitiy is to replace the o-ring as maybe that is the cause of the leak. If the leak is in the electrical plug, I have no advice.
SLITS
The '75-'76 mounted the pump in the front and still used plastic lines thru the body. Now, whether the plastic is different from that of the pre '75 I'm not sure. It's black, not clear and is 7mm supply and return and it is not CIS plastic hose.

I still can't figure out having a 7mm outlet from the tank to a 12mm(?) inlet on the pump to a 7mm outlet to the engine. Those Porsche/VW engineers just baffle me. The fault probably lies with the Bean Counters and Marketing so they could sell a specially made 7mm to 12mm hose adaptor for $30 (nylon hose reducers for about $2 work really well).
type47
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 19 2009, 10:20 AM) *

The '75-'76 mounted the pump in the front and still used plastic lines thru the body.

So if you mount yours in the front, replace the plastic lines with the Foley stainless steel lines. If the pump is in the stock position "under the battery", the pump sucks the gas so the plastic lines don't get high pressure. If the pump is in the front, the pump pushes the gas and the plastic lines are under ~30 psi so the condition of the plastic lines is critical.
velum
My mechanic is able to get a Bosch Fuel Pump 69 469 (Part #251 906 091) for around 250 CAD (I am in Montréal). It is brand new, and that way, I don't have custom fees/problems/etc. So I will go with that solution. It is a straight-through pump, but I have been told that with a small modification, it will fit in my car.

Cheers!

JF

P.S. Thanks for all the advices! Now, I can breath better! :-)
markb
That's the same pump we talked about on the phone, and at about the same price.
velum
Hi Mark!

Sorry I did not order it with you, although you are the one who pointed me in the right direction and who told me to contact Cap'nkrusty. It is just that ordering it through my mechanic, the whole job will be guaranteed by one business, and there is no hassle with the customs. Packages take a bit more time to be delivered when they go trough customs". Plus, the garage is located in another part of the city, and I won't have to go done to my mechanic to bring him the pump . Also, if something goes wrong with the part, I won't have to ship it back. I must admit too, that I misunderstood you. I knew it was the same pump or a similar one that you were offering me, but I thought it was a rebuilt.

However, I must say that I am very happy that GPR is back in business, because I aways had A1 service and advices from you guys. For parts I cannot get here in Canada, I will not hesitate to order them from you.

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 19 2009, 03:39 PM) *

That's the same pump we talked about on the phone, and at about the same price.

Cap'n Krusty
We're gonna accept that your mechanic knows his way around a 914. If at all possible, try to mount the new pump in the bracket for the old one. Remove the female spade connectors from the plastic plug and replace them with non-insulated crimp on eyelet connectors appropriate to the sizes of the pump's terminals, then attach the wires to their respective terminals. Using the 10-8mm adapter hose (914 356 525 00), attach the inlet end of new filter to the plastic supply line. DO NOT attempt to clamp down a larger hose!. From the new filter, run a length of 12mm fuel hose to the pump, and clamp it with appropriate sized clamps. Attach the outlet line to the pump, and replace the return line from the plastic return line from the engine to the plastic return line at the body. Use appropriate 7 or 7.5mm HP fuel line and the correct sized clamps. You're done, once you've performed a leak check and made sure there are no kinks restricting the flow of fuel.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.