Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R.I.P. Wes Vann
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nihkon
Hi, I do not own a 914. I just joined this site to let you guys in on some sad news.

I'm deeply saddened to have to bring the new that Wes Vann passed away recently. He died from coronary disease on June 22, 2009. It's a bummer that we're finding this out so far after it happened. I'd like to think that I'm a small group of people that keep in fairly constant contact with him, and it still took me a month and a half to find out. sad.gif sad.gif

I'm sure there are many many people out there that either knew him personally, or at least were helped along at some point by him or his website. ( Wes Vann's Honda Page )

Let's get a thread going where we can all share our "Wes stories." photos, etc.

One of my favorite things about Wes was his insatiable appetite to "teach." For those that have been to his house, you know all too well that he never does the work for you. He always teaches you how to do it. Gotta love that. :thumbup:

I'll end with one of my favorite photos of Wes:

IPB Image

I'll miss ya buddy!! You were a great friend!!

This was a "copy and paste" from a thread that I posted in a Honda forum (it was through Honda's that I met Wes). I wanted to post the news here since I know he was so involved with this site during his last project, the "914a":
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/914a/index.html
Richard Casto
sad.gif If not mistaken that would be "Wes V" here on the forum. It looks like he was last on the forum on 6/21. I remember him from this thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=88772

Where he was sharing his e-brake setup.

Here is one for you Wes...

beer3.gif
SirAndy
Say it ain't so! huh.gif

sad.gif Andy
Cupomeat
That is a shame, and condolences to those he left behind.

I remember reading his web pages in detail.

RIP.
ahdoman
Hey Nihkon,
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. I will miss Wes. He would show up randomly at my house and we would talk about all kinds of car stuff. He was a man I could identify with because we liked all the same kinds of cars! It was about time for one of his quarterly visits. DAMN! Wes, I will miss you...
andys
That's indeed sad news!! Like Steve G. (neighbor), Wes would stop by for regular visits to share his ideas with me and talk car stuff. He was a very generous individual willing to share his knowlege and experience, and often offering to loan me anything I needed.

I sent him a personal email on 8/13/09 asking "How's Things?" since I hadn't heard from him in a while. Wes, RIP.

Andys
Eric_Shea
sad.gif Another great car guy gone. Here's my Wes story:

He answered a call for PPI in SB for my wife's new E500 wagon on June 20th, just two days prior. He took the car out for me and went over it with a fine tooth comb. The guys on the lot were kinda nervous. LOL I got back tons of pictures and a detailed rundown of the car. I offered to pay him or do something for him and this was his reply:

Eric;

I just wanted to say that you don't owe me anything.

Over the last year you have answered more than a shit load of my questions. And I know I've been a pain in the ass some times.

It would have been nice if the car was at the original location, but the other location was still on my way back from Santa Barbara and not far off the freeway.

I forgot to comment on a small about of "curb rash" on the rims, but there was a photo showing the worst of it.

Good luck with the car! Your wife should love it.

Wes

I liked some of the things he did with his 911 handbrake conversion and I think they'll live on. He was very detailed.

Thanks for everything Wes. I'm grateful to have known you.
roadster fan
What a sad day. I didn't know Wes personally but really enjoyed following his progress and learning from his creativity. I will miss him. I will lift one up for you tonite Wes, Godspeed!

Jim
charliew
Dang I hate to hear that but thanks for letting us know. I will say a prayer for his family and friends he left behind. Wes was a good car guy. I hate that his 914 won't feel his caresses anymore. I hope it goes to someone as serious as he was about it's build.
EdwardBlume
Rest in Peace! We'll miss you.
Gint
I didn't know him very well. That is truly sad news.
rick 918-S
I took a couple minutes and read through the 911 brake thread. Wes was a great guy with a wealth of knowledge. He will be missed.
grantsfo
This one brings a tear to my eye. Didnt know him but clearly a 914 lover.

"Big news; I sat in my car!! This is the first time (in 8 months) that I've had a floor." June 8 2009

IPB Image
Steve
That's sad that he never finished his car. I am also beyond sad to hear about this.
Here's my story:
I posted questions to Wes's ebrake thread and he was more than helpful and patient with answers to my questions. I told him that I did not have any welding skills and he offered to weld the stop plates on my trailing arms. He would not accept any money. He said that if I was willing to drive to his house to get this done he did not want to charge me. I drove my trailing arms an hour to get to his house. He was beyond kind and thoughtful. I talked his ear off and distracted him. He ended up welding one of the stop plates on the wrong side of one of my trailing arms. He had to spend another 45 minutes cutting it off, cleaning up the damage and then welding it to the correct side. He was so cool and did not get upset over me talking to much and distracting him, which caused the mistake. After he was done i tried to give him some money again for his time but all he would accept was lunch at Sharkeys!! He did an awesome job on my trailing arms and now i have 911 ebrakes on my car, thanks to Wes!!

In life we are typically surrounded by the do unto others before they do unto you attitudes. Wes and Howard were two individuals that I have had the pleasure of meeting that make me want to try harder, to be a better person and help others without expecting anything in return.

R.I.P. Wes!!! You will be missed!!
KaptKaos
Godspeed Wes. =(
IronHillRestorations
RIP Wes, say Hi to Dave for me!

My condolences to his family for their loss, he was too young.
Katmanken
That sucks! You never know when something like that will hit.

I called a friend of mine around July 4th and left a message. He called me back last week. Seems he was in bed at home with a tripple bypass and had finally got around to his E-mails.

He had a fever he couldn't shake and went for a chest x-ray. They told him to stay, pumped him full of antibioics to kill the lung congestion and then did the bypass 4 days later.

Fortunately he missed the heart attack and went right to treatment or he might not be here.

My condolences to his family.

Ken
Brett W
This sucks balls. I saw the thread on HT today. I talked with him several times on the engine swap. I was trying to help him out with a motor and tranny. He was a great guy.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.