Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning up the nailed forums, part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
My last attempt to bring some precise documentation to specific areas of the 914 had failed spectacularly, and hijacked.gif

Questions persist, on this Forum and in the Garage, regarding O.E.M. details. And of course, though the World has thousands of photos posted, not many of them are formated to be easily retrieved with the "search" function. The "nailed" threads were a start, but were diluted with too many modified cars, marginal photos, haphazard presentation, and the occasional divergence from the topic at hand.

So, what would the participants, and moderator, of course, think of re-doing the "nailed" threads by 914 model year? With information thus configured, the "newbie" wondering what kind of rear valence should be fitted on his 1972 1.7 can just look at that specific years' thread. Each year would consist of the best possible photo and most original example of a 914 for that model year. The moderator would have discretionary power to delete a posted picture and replace it with another, if the subsequent photo served as a better example.

As an example, I'll attach a photo of the rear of my '70/4 showing not only the model year specific rear bumper, but the correct, deep rear valence as well. Now I realize that my Euro tail light lenses, though O.E.M. parts, are/were not "correct" for the U.S. market, then when a "more correct" photo is posted, Mr. Moderator deletes my pic, and substitutes the subsequent photo.

This proposed thread would not just show general, overview images, but would provide specific photos of, as examples; knobs and switches, air cleaners, coils, rocker rivets, tools and jacks, door jambs, and so forth.

With the collective knowledge and photo documentation that the participating members here have, this Forum could become the "go to" reference source for those seeking O.E.M. information.

Lastly, if there should be discussion and/or disagreement about something depicted, that dialogue should not be part of that nailed thread. The discussion should take place elsewhere on the Originality/History Forum.

Paul
Tom_T
I see where you're going with this & the MY organization would be helpful.

However - if this is the way the mod wants to go, then I would take it a step further to suggest that the areas for each MY be broken up into categories, so that one needn't wade through many pages in a thread to find one thing that they're looking for on their 914.

The other thing, is that those items which carried over until stock at the factory were used up in manufacturing &/or change mid-MY would be less clear in this MY structure which you're suggesting, & would require some duplication in multiple MYs.

Lastly, we may need to put Pat on a full time salary to do all of that work! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
PS - I think George H can set you up with some nice new USA repro lenses, then you can re-shoot & re-post the "perfect" pic! biggrin.gif
sixerdon
I can't help but agree with you both. However, asking Pat or any one person to be judge of what is correct on any MY or, changes that were made on the production line during a specific time of that year can be daunting at best. I know from my personal ownership experience many changes that took place from month to month in the first months of 914/6 production. It's in the details, options and accessories.
And yes, I noticed the lenses, also. Paul's 914 is a beauty for an outlaw.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 20 2009, 04:05 PM) *

I can't help but agree with you both. However, asking Pat or any one person to be judge of what is correct on any MY or, changes that were made on the production line during a specific time of that year can be daunting at best. I know from my personal ownership experience many changes that took place from month to month in the first months of 914/6 production. It's in the details, options and accessories.
And yes, I noticed the lenses, also. Paul's 914 is a beauty for an outlaw.
Don

Don,
"outlaw" - love it! I'm sure Paul is in disagreement!

Seriously, I've thought about "redoing" the nailed forums for 2 years now, but, like you stated, changes ocurred from month-to-month, particularly in the early years. Trying to document EVERY change, and when it happened, is impossible!

Maybe I'm trying to be be too authentic? No, I know the pieces placed on my late 72 were not on the early 72's. I know that some early '70 app grp cars were missing headliners, fog lights, etc.

Sorry to all, but I'd rather hear from those who have documented proof that thier 914's don't fit the mold, at the time. I wish it could be more concrete, but the 914 was a moving target.

For that reason, I'd rather see people post anomolies to the nailed posts.
And you're correct Don, I not only don't want to try to re-write history, but am not qualified.

However, I'm more than open o someone who DOES wish to do so.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.