Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Angels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
EdwardBlume
Seeing the thread on Wes Vann, especially Grant's post of a picture of him and his unfinished car makes me sad, and it makes me think about all the 914 projects that never make it through to completion. I would be proud to be a part of an "Angel" group that when such a circumstance arises, will come together and finish cars. We all have skills, we all have parts, and we all want to see good people, especially ones which have given so much, get a helping hand while they are HERE.

I'm not talking about anybody with a car on jackstands here, but people who regularly give, or have something unfortunate happen, and we can come together and make a good thing happen.

What do you think?
number6
Great idea!

My skills are limited, but I'm always sitting on a stash of good parts that can go to a good cause.

-duc
markb
QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 19 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Great idea!

My skills are limited, but I'm always sitting on a stash of good parts that can go to a good cause.

-duc

Me too
ClayPerrine
Sounds more like we need an "Overhaulin" group for 914s.....

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

I'm in......

How about a vote from the members here like we do for car of the month? Then the recipient can decide to pass on it if they like.
6freak
I cant give away the parts i do have confused24.gif but i voted yes... i will do what i can
tat2dphreak
I'll do what I can, when I can. if nothing else I can bring beer and nod, say 'yep' a lot.
rick 918-S
I like it. I like the voting thing as well Clay.

I think if your in you really need to be fully comitted.

The recipient needs to really want the intrusion. After a great loss of someone close to you some people can't handle the added stress of having to deal with details like a bunch of people poking their nose in your space.

I had an idea to put together a group for this kind of thing a while back. I had great response from the group here but as it turned out I was not getting good vibes on the other end and chose to drop it. There was no point in forcing a group of well meaning car nuts on someone that had enough to deal with at the time.

We also had a new member join recently. She had a brother that died and left a 914 behind. She was looking for some advise. We all extended a hand to her. If she chooses to accept our offer that's cool. If not we can all still wish their family the best.

I vote Rob "Good Will Ambassedor" and suggest a core group take this idea to a private forum to iron out the rules. I also suggest we find a professional grief counselor among our group if were going to approch an induvidual or family that suffered a loss. Someone that can feel their way into the conversation and gauge whether the person is strong enough for the added emotion this is likely to envoke. Like I posted some people have a hard enough time getting their head around what just happened much less having the added stress of dealing with a bunch of well intending car guys and gals.
tat2dphreak
Like I posted some people have a hard enough time getting their head around what just happened much less having the added stress of dealing with a bunch of well intending car guys and gals.

agree.gif

there's a time and a place for it. and making sure they are ready is important.

Cap'n Krusty
Do we get to stop bathing and wear badass leather vests .................?

The Cap'n
McMark
I was thinking some badass footie pajamas...... er.. mechanics coveralls.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 20 2009, 09:04 AM) *

I draw the line at the button down rear facing flap. shades.gif
tat2dphreak

turn them around and cut the feet off...
jhadler
I love the idea. At this time in my life though, I don't have the time, resources, or energy (2 kids <5 yrs old) right now to support it physically or financially. But I think it's a great idea.

edit: I should add, that I have recently been the recipient of the good will of some "914 angels", and my car would not be running right now without their generosity.

-Josh2
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 19 2009, 10:46 PM) *

Seeing the thread on Wes Vann, especially Grant's post of a picture of him and his unfinished car makes me sad, and it makes me think about all the 914 projects that never make it through to completion. I would be proud to be a part of an "Angel" group that when such a circumstance arises, will come together and finish cars. We all have skills, we all have parts, and we all want to see good people, especially ones which have given so much, get a helping hand while they are HERE.

I'm not talking about anybody with a car on jackstands here, but people who regularly give, or have something unfortunate happen, and we can come together and make a good thing happen.

What do you think?

I agree completely with the sentiment, and voted accordingly. But I wonder if it really needs to be a selective group. I think that the vast majority of folks here would help out a worthy cause in whatever manner they are able to give, be it parts, labor or wisdom.
RJMII
I wish I had the resources to help otu with something like this. As it is, I've hit the two dozen mark for surgeries and am happy to even have a heart beat. (PM for details) I'd be happy to volunteer to be the practice/first person. =o)

Really, though. While I was in the hospital the past several times I'd wished that someone could come along and get my car up and running for me. There have been a few people that have helped me out here and there and that help has been greatly appreciated.
FourBlades

I'd be in to help with welding, poor quality painting, and wood working.

I always find it more relaxing to work on someone else's problem than
dealing with my own. biggrin.gif

John
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 20 2009, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 20 2009, 09:04 AM) *

My footie pajamas are red and the flap is held closed by velcro.......
hot_shoe914
Count me in, though I'm not real sure how helpful I'd be confused24.gif . Not too knowledgable or talented as a mechanic, haven't welded in 30 years and still have 3 of my own I am trying to do out of a single car carport. I do have a few spare parts laying around and a huge heart of gold. I will do what I can.

Shoe
pete-stevers
i have thought of a similar idea, and think a group like this would be welcome in a situation where a 914 guy dies with a stash...and the group sells off the stuff at market prices for the widow, who may know very little of values, so she is not pillaged...
my two bits
and i would be in on a group of this nature, as long as integrity was considered key.
EdwardBlume
Cool. Its not surprising to see most of us wanting to be a part of something for others. .. and its nothing against anyone who can't.

There's no promises, nothing in stone, nothing to do just yet. I'd like to get ideas and talk to people offline about what this "could" look like. I'd like PMs from people who want to put their name in even as just a contact.

I can tell you that I've been a part of car builds in the past, and its amazing what a group of people with all skill levels can accomplish together... that's the cool thing about this site.

Again, no promises, but it doesn't hurt to try...

Thanks.
KaptKaos
Yes and I'd help too. I don't have a ton of parts or the best tools, but I will help where I can. I too have 3 little kids, and not a ton of time, but I can try to make it work.
Steve
QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 20 2009, 01:48 PM) *

I love the idea. At this time in my life though, I don't have the time, resources, or energy (2 kids <5 yrs old) right now to support it physically or financially. But I think it's a great idea.

edit: I should add, that I have recently been the recipient of the good will of some "914 angels", and my car would not be running right now without their generosity.

-Josh2

I voted yes, but I am in the same boat as Josh as far as how much spare time I have. But I wouldn't mind giving up an occasional Saturday to lend a hand. I also have some spare parts. Sad to say the loved one's usually don't share our sickness and just want to get rid of the car, tools, etc and move on. We might be better off offering our services to make sure the loved one's don't get ripped off when trying to unload the unifinished project and tools. We could even advertise for them, take pictures, etc...
EdwardBlume
This post has been privatized based upon multiple suggestions to work with "select people" for the purpose of organizing a "914 Angel" group. This group is private to allow those people who want to get involved, to get involved, in a "planning" forum outside of the regular posts.

The main goal is to help fellow 914 owners in various needs, on a case by case basis, as needed, when needed IF POSSIBLE. Using mainly support from other owners, help is voluntary, and should be managed very carefully, especially when or if money raising is involved. There are many criteria that come into play and not all people can be helped. That said, many people can be helped, and many people here like to help. Managing that process and effort is a key to success.

If you are reading this, chances are you have been asked to be a "914 Angel". Nothing is required from you, and it is likely you are here because you decided to help someone, and a fellow "914 Angel" noticed.

This is a work in progress, and may remain a behind the scenes network, or may fail, or may succeed. I figure, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thank you for your participation and interest. If this isn't your thing, thanks anyway but please keep our network and Angels in confidence.

RobW
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 9 2009, 09:07 PM) *

This post has been privatized based upon multiple suggestions to work with "select people" for the purpose of organizing a "914 Angel" group. This group is private to allow those people who want to get involved, to get involved, in a "planning" forum outside of the regular posts.

The main goal is to help fellow 914 owners in various needs, on a case by case basis, as needed, when needed IF POSSIBLE. Using mainly support from other owners, help is voluntary, and should be managed very carefully, especially when or if money raising is involved. There are many criteria that come into play and not all people can be helped. That said, many people can be helped, and many people here like to help. Managing that process and effort is a key to success.

If you are reading this, chances are you have been asked to be a "914 Angel". Nothing is required from you, and it is likely you are here because you decided to help someone, and a fellow "914 Angel" noticed.

This is a work in progress, and may remain a behind the scenes network, or may fail, or may succeed. I figure, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thank you for your participation and interest. If this isn't your thing, thanks anyway but please keep our network and Angels in confidence.

agree.gif

RobW

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.