Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction with pics :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
993inNC
Just picked up an older sibling to compliment my current toy (993 C4S - track toy). The plan is to refurbish it over time. It needs just about everything touched/fixed/rejuvenated, but it starts first try and runs so I'll drive it for a while and learn it before I really dive into restoring it.

Its a 75 w/1.8L and its original 1.8 as a spare. Still running the F.I. and has been repainted before. Some rust around but not to bad that I've seen so far (haven't had it on my lift yet, so.......

It looks so far like it'll be an excellent candidate to restore (not far gone at all).

Hope to get to know you all like I have over on Rennlist. That site took a complete newbie and created a monster biggrin.gif I know you guys are just as passionate as they are over on the 993 board. I haven't had a 914 in over 20 years so I'll be looking for lots of help I'm sure! TIA
SirAndy
welcome.png

That 993 makes for a perfect engine donor!
biggrin.gif Andy
jsayre914
welcome.png
Looks like your off to a great start. All you need now is a pair of jackstands and beer idea.gif
jt914-6
welcome.png
Make that four jackstands and a case of beer!!!! beer3.gif
MDG
welcome.png

Yes, Andy can give you all the tips you need to drop that 3.6 into your 914!

not too sure about the retrofit of 1.8 into the 993 though idea.gif
Rod
Nice one. Welcome back to 914 ownership... bet that litte beauty ends up with a six in it! smile.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 20 2009, 07:37 PM) *

welcome.png
Looks like your off to a great start. All you need now is a pair of jackstands and beer idea.gif

Will a 2 post lift due? biggrin.gif

Thanks guys and Sir bite your tongue! There'd only be one reason the 993 motor would be even available to swap to the 14 and I don't even want to think about it headbang.gif
btw, I'm a transplant from your neck of the woods (San Jose bred back in the late 70's through early 90 - man I miss home!)
jsayre914
biggrin.gif N I C E
993inNC
thanks smile.gif

So my first question is how far can you punch out a 1.8 with the factory FI and still have it be reliable and streetable? I'd like to build the original motor back to a fresh stock state, and the one thats in the car to more of a monster motor.
markb
welcome.png
I started out on Rennlist myself, and check in once or twice every day. smile.gif
That garage is way too nice! You need to invite a few of the local 914 crowd over to help you mess it up properly. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 20 2009, 04:10 PM) *

So my first question is how far can you punch out a 1.8 with the factory FI and still have it be reliable and streetable?

In my opinion, the only thing you can do is drop in 96mm pistons and make it a 1911. For more power, I don't think any thing less than a 3.2L -6 will satisfy anyone who already owns a 993.
McMark
Oh no, four vs. six debate! Quick, distract everyone!

why doesn't this site run on linux? 
McMark
Oh, and welcome.png

The stock FI will hold you back. If you want power, think carbs or modern FI.
degreeoff
Yeah carbs will do it......

Click to view attachment

hummm deee dummmmm

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
993inNC
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 20 2009, 08:42 PM) *

welcome.png
I started out on Rennlist myself, and check in once or twice every day. smile.gif
That garage is way too nice! You need to invite a few of the local 914 crowd over to help you mess it up properly. biggrin.gif

Well, to be honest, that was a pic from when I first finished the garage (detached), if you look hard theres no paint or trim down low. Its now got the 2 cars, a drum set, tire racks, tools, compressor, and general stuff everywhere......I'd take a current picture but the anal and OCD's would shoot me biggrin.gif

It is climate controlled though, with most of the creature comforts of the house (just in case wifie decides the hobbies take more time than she gets biggrin.gif )
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
SLITS
Nice piece to start with.

Find yourself a 2.0L complete and you'll be happier unless you want to keep the Teener in stock form.

996 is nice but I like my 2.7L conversion (and my 4 banger 2.0l)

Welcome .... tremendous pit of knowledge here.
993inNC
I've been practicing on the expensive car the last couple weeks so I'd be well practiced when the "project car" came to be biggrin.gif

Ground down, cut out, templated, new patch panel welded in, primed and under coated, should be done with the other side (similar and worse) tomorrow and back on the ground so I can get to the 14
993inNC
more for your enjoyment smile.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 20 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Nice piece to start with.

Find yourself a 2.0L complete and you'll be happier unless you want to keep the Teener in stock form.

996 is nice but I like my 2.7L conversion (and my 4 banger 2.0l)

Welcome .... tremendous pit of knowledge here.

thanks. yeah I really think these cars are next for a big value pop like the 356's did over the last 5 years. Maybe not tomorrow, but sooner than later. I'd like to keep it stock....ish. The point of buying this car was its FI and relative originality, the fast car is the 993. When I get another big disposable chunk of change, I'll find a 996 for a track car to beat on. Should be able to pick them up for next to nothing soon (they're already sub 20k!)
SLITS
With that quality work, you will do well Pilgrim, you will do well.
ClayPerrine
No carbs!!!! If you want REAL six performance, use MFI!!!

The FI for the 1.8 is very good, just too small of a throttle body for anything bigger

2056 using 1.8L heads that have been fitted with 2.0L valves and an overbored throttle body. Use 912E injectors and a 1.7 fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel flow to the engine for the bigger bore and stroke. Stick with a Web86 or smaller cam and a lightened flywheel. That will generate good performance and still be drivable.

Kinda funny how a bunch of people who had 914s back in the 70s and early 80s and moved on to more expensive Porsches are buying a 914 again. biggrin.gif

welcome.png
trojanhorsepower
Oh yeah! another 914 in my neck of the woods. There are more here than you might think, but most are hidden away on jack stands. You will want the stand to free up your lift. I live near Burgaw, which beach are you near? I know of 2 teeners in Jacksonville and one in Durham also. There is a really nice one near Carolina Beach, but as far as I know he does not drive it, just trailers to shows.

Welcome to 914World!!
993inNC
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 21 2009, 09:45 AM) *

Oh yeah! another 914 in my neck of the woods. There are more here than you might think, but most are hidden away on jack stands. You will want the stand to free up your lift. I live near Burgaw, which beach are you near? I know of 2 teeners in Jacksonville and one in Durham also. There is a really nice one near Carolina Beach, but as far as I know he does not drive it, just trailers to shows.

Welcome to 914World!!

Cool! I'm in Wilmington close to C.beach. I need a parts car if you know of any smile.gif
Ping me the next time you come down to Wilm.
Sleepin
I will go against everything every one here has said so far and say just leave it a stock 1.8 L-Jet unless you plan on installing a 2.0 or a /6 in it.

One of the best things about my 1.8 is that when it runs good, it runs good. It may be slow, but it is a blast to drive nonetheless.

If you want a fast car..well drive the 993. If you want a fun car, then drive the 914 that day. lol2.gif

Welcome to the board! wink.gif
bembry
Concur with Sleepin--I'd leave it stock, or at least fairly stock. It's a nice lookin' 914. Still has the stock front valence, a nice color, and tan interior.
993inNC
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 21 2009, 03:13 PM) *

Concur with Sleepin--I'd leave it stock, or at least fairly stock. It's a nice lookin' 914. Still has the stock front valence, a nice color, and tan interior.

Yeah fairly stock is where I want to be. The interior however won't be tan too long, I'm not a fan, so black it will become smile.gif
trojanhorsepower
Sadly I don't know of any in our area, but I know there is a guy in Hillsborough with several. At least he used to have several. I have not been out that way for a while. I am sure I could get you contact info (my folks live up there). Could probably even bring back some parts.
993inNC
any help is appreciated smile.gif
bembry
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 21 2009, 03:13 PM) *

Yeah fairly stock is where I want to be. The interior however won't be tan too long, I'm not a fan, so black it will become smile.gif

In that case, if you're selling off the backpad and door panels in search of black ones, then i'm interested! (Mine are pretty rough.)
993inNC
Not sure yet what I'll be doing with those parts, haven't even really assessed the condition of everything yet. My though though was to dye the back pad instead of replacing it. Door panels will go for sure smile.gif

As I get into the car, I'll post (where ever is appropriate) stuff FS or free. For now I think I'll work on getting everything working and safe so I can drive it this fall, then really tear into it next summer. The safe and driveable condition part won't take long then I may start assembling a new interior so i can enjoy my surroundings. PM me so I have your contact info as I get into it.
IronHillRestorations
So we have a drummer for our "All 914 Band"???
993inNC
Ah............well.............you could have a bass player, drummer, or rhythm guitar player (genre dependent) take your pick. I play bass for my band currently, have and play a drumset for fun (bought it while auditioning drummers to cut down on awkwardness if we didn't like the guy, thank him and send him on his way instead of waiting and having to "chat" while they broke down) and played guitar for many years before all that (but I only have a certain style to me - Rock/Metal)

When and where do we start practice biggrin.gif

if you dare, we are at myspace.com/unclejunkband if you're into mostly 80's rock cover tunes. you can do the math on which one I am biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
Not to hijack your thread, but here's a pic from the last jam. We have a weekly acoustic get together and then a party/karaoke/jam thing three or four times a year. The sax player is one of my best friends, and plays guitar-mandolin-keys-whatever, the bass player is also a good friend and the best keyboard player in the area, and the harp player is totally kick ass. Me I'm not good at anything except maybe throwing a party!
993inNC
See now that picture is so deceiving with the Scorpions and Randy Rhodes poster behind the guitar player smile.gif But I'm guessing we play different music......nothing wrong with that either since they're all the same notes just in different format and probably speed biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.