Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dave Darling?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
You gonna have a running 914 for the WCC 2004?

Geoff
JeffBowlsby
Geoff…Woof-Woof…Down Boy…good doggy….Sit.

Leave Dave alone about this…he’s our friend and a sensitive guy… pray.gif

…especially about this…

We could offer to do an all day tech session on it the day before the WCC, but I know he wouldn’t go for it. Wouldn’t that be a sight to see the baby blue in the AX. Not even my new FI harness has cured it of its ills, I don’t think the Olympic car will ever drive again. As much as he enjoys driving 914s, he seems perfectly content to simply talk about them…

Good boy…
Dave_Darling
Let's just say that I sure am gonna try!!

--DD
Jenny
Dave has a much better looking one than me, but mine goes much further than his does!! Together, we have a complete car!!! lol3.gif

Jen
JWest
I think Dave is sitting back laughing. He gets to drive other people's 914/6s at the events he attends, and tries a different one out each time!
Bleyseng
I figured by now the tires have dry rotted so its getting to be expensive to get it back on the road!

Geoff laugh.gif
(I hope by then to have the stupid short figured out!)
EdwardBlume
Dave, I may need a surrogate driver for one of my teens!
Malmz
I'll get it running Dave!
JeffBowlsby
I may need a surrogate driver

No games now...we all know about the other Olympic in the neighborhood.

Will Daves car be in the WCC?
Will Muellers car be in the WCC?

Maybe they will both be there????? YEAH!

We should have a special one-time honorary gift for whichever makes it...?

smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
We should start a reward fund for those two! Whoever makes it in their own running 914 wins. I'll chip in $10 to start it.
If neither make it the money goes to Jenny's paint job.

Geoff
boxstr
Next thing Geoff is going to ask about #4. No I didn't say that, it wasn't me it was a typing error........
NOONE
rhodyguy
oh, is dave having f.i. problems?

kevin
shoguneagle
Dave only gets to feeling bad because he does not have his 914 to drive. He needs his car to take care of his frustrations so he can drive on his roads to the WCC.

Should we organize a work party for both Mr. Darling and Mr. Mueller?

It would make my year to see both of them driving up in their very own 914s. I think there still unexpected wonders left in this world. Both will show up with their very own cars.

What do others think?

Steve Hurt
Bleyseng
I think both DD and Mueller should be careful if or when they start their cars up, don't want them to get the dreaded Miles old gas blown engine syndrome!

hehe

Keivn, DD has had a weird go lean problem in his FI since 2000. Time to Megasquirt it!!
or DD put the FI parts from Chris Reale on your car as he is the KitCarson Test car now.

Geoff
fiid
Why don't we get together and then swarm the car?

Have you checked for kinks in the fuel lines down by the fuel pump?
Changed fuel filter? Can we get it on an FI diagnosis machine?

If we have an okay-condition harness around, it's pretty easy to get megasquirt running, and that's pretty easy to debug.

Dave? Let's get your car running.
Dave_Darling
Fuel line kinks? Checked. It's about time for new fuel lines anyway--by age if nothing else.

Fuel filter changed? Check. Got a new filter, though, and will be putting it on when I re-hose the engine.

FI tester? Check. Got one, used it. It found one of the ECUs I had swapped in for testing was bad. No other problems found.

Harness? New Bowlsby harness.

Nope, I've checked that too. And that. Nope, that tested out correct as well. As did that. ...

Been through it all, pretty much. Going to start going through it all again soon, because I obviously missed something. At least a couple of times.

Oh, and Megasquirt? Well, I will have to build one of the two v.1.2 (I think) kits that I have. And dig out the evil-bay laptop system that I got specifically to run it.

--DD
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Mar 10 2004, 04:27 AM)
Should we organize a work party for both Mr. Darling and Mr. Mueller?

It would make my year to see both of them driving up in their very own 914s.

What do others think?

Steve Hurt

sometime last year there was a thread about a bunch of people stealing, er...um, I mean kidnapping Dave's car and getting it going. smash.gif smash.gif

alot of people were interested in helping out, though I'm not so sure Dave would've liked us too much afterwards ohmy.gif

Mueller's car doesn't necessarily have problems, well, there is Mike blowtorch.gif
it's just missing some pieces, like the engine and such. driving.gif
Joe Bob
Dave who? blink.gif
Mueller
as long as i continue to ADD parts to my car instead of take them off, i should be okay smile.gif

my "temp" motor looks good...well it did until I took the heads and cylinders off of it to clean it up....LOL

the motor will go back together this weekend and will be mated up with the transmission..... .forward progress will happen smash.gif
Malmz
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 10 2004, 02:56 PM)
Dave who? blink.gif

Oh, come on Mike, you remember Dave!

(sorry DDD...)
Dave_Darling
Jeez! If I want abuse like this, I'll... Hang out with my friends. Oh, wait--nevermind... wink.gif

Ever heard of a song by the group L7? It's off of "Bricks are Heavy", which is one of my faves.

When I get mad and I get pissed
I grab my pen and I write out a list
Of all the people who won't be missed
You've made my shitlist

For all the ones who put me out (shitlist)
For all the ones who filled my head with doubt (shitlist)
For all the squares who get me pissed (shit list)
You've made my shit list

Shit list ...

When I get mad and I get pissed
I grab my pen and I write a list
Of all you assholes that won't be missed
You've made my shit list

Shit list ...

biggrin.gif

--DD
Bleyseng
Hmmm, hope I haven't made your shit list!

Still think you should try out some of ChrisR's Djet parts (ecu, mps) as those are known to be good, then proceed.

Its gotta be something damn simple!

Geoff
rhodyguy
i think i'll reread the "GOOD F.I. vs BAD CARB" thread. laugh.gif

kevin
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 10 2004, 07:13 PM)
Hmmm, hope I haven't made your shit list!

Naaah... You did notice the smilies, right?

Maybe my "giving people shit" list... wink.gif

--DD
fiid
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 10 2004, 02:05 PM)
Fuel line kinks? Checked. It's about time for new fuel lines anyway--by age if nothing else.

Fuel filter changed? Check. Got a new filter, though, and will be putting it on when I re-hose the engine.

FI tester? Check. Got one, used it. It found one of the ECUs I had swapped in for testing was bad. No other problems found.

Harness? New Bowlsby harness.

Nope, I've checked that too. And that. Nope, that tested out correct as well. As did that. ...

Been through it all, pretty much. Going to start going through it all again soon, because I obviously missed something. At least a couple of times.

Oh, and Megasquirt? Well, I will have to build one of the two v.1.2 (I think) kits that I have. And dig out the evil-bay laptop system that I got specifically to run it.

--DD

I would make sure you have a v2.2 board (latest).

If you order up a new kit of parts and board, you can have the one I just put together if you promise to use it.

You'll need a new plug, since I already started making my EDIS harness. We can burn in my 1.7 map too if you like, although I know there are some problems with it (my mat sensor doesn't work (oops)).
fiid
I take it you have checked your fuel pressure. Have you monitored it while driving?

I use a cheapo oil pressure guage for fuel pressure and you can run it with a long FI hose so that you could have it in the cabin, and have a passenger monitor it.

Please tell me to shut up way before I get on your shitlist! Just consider you a friend and friends don't let friends have non-operational 914s.
Dave_Darling
Fuel pressure gauge semi-permanently mounted in the engine bay. Right now it is on the fuel hose that used to go to the cold-start valve. For one set of tests, I ran a hose out the engine bay (left the lid off) into the passenger's side window and had the gauge on it. Showed a steady 29 PSI, just like it shows idling in the garage, or with the engine off and the fuel pump relay jumpered.

Oh, and don't worry about the "shit list". It's just a song, after all! And reminded me of my yelling at everything that was pissing me off last week... Instead of writing it down, I just said it out loud! (Scaring some passers-by in the process.)

--DD
Scott Carlberg
Hey Dave,
just wondering, have you ever taken your 914 to a shop to have the problem figured out?

I know you know ALOT about the 914, I am constantly amazed at the answers you give over on the email list....

but would it not be worth having the car driveable after letting say, HPH take an hour with it?
Jenny
I think it's been to Rich's already... sad.gif

Jen
Dave_Darling
Two shops, Rich's and Tony's. To be fair, Rich only had it for one week--and the statement of work pretty much just said "make sure it doesn't run lean."

Rich and Larry may get another shot at it...

--DD
Brad Roberts
We are slow right now... next week would be a good time for us to look at it. I have an idea of what is happening and will share it with you in a non-public place. It has to do with the dizzy.

You have to pull the trigger and say "come and get it". We have a new portable 4 gas analyzer that we can use. I honestly dont think it will take that long to figure out once we get it hooked up.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 10 2004, 03:25 PM)
Ever heard of a song by the group L7? It's off of "Bricks are Heavy", which is one of my faves.

ha! my all time favorite girlzzz band!

seen them live a couple of times, one of the girls looks very much like my ex-wife ...
Andy
Bleyseng
I wuz a fan of "Seven Year Bitch", saw them live a couple of times. I saw in the paper the trial for the guy who killed Mia Zapata of the Gits is FINALLY UNDERWAY! My favorite punk band of all time. wub.gif

Geoff
shoguneagle
I thought I would take a look at this thread and see what has transpired. Let see, the following seems to be contained in the thread:
1. Leave Dave alone, he is a sensitive guy.
2 I am gona.................
3. Driving other peoples' 914
4. Lines have rotted........
5. Reward offerred if Dave and Mike show up...........................................with their 914s'
6. I am having f.i. problems.............................
7 I need megasquirt because..............................
8. Is your car running???????
9. Per Mr. Mueller, "I just kept adding parts and everything is all right".
10. Per Mr. Darling, "I have checked everything out........................."
11. Mike is missing parts; "Little Mikey "likes things that do not run
12. Mr. Darling's reference to "bricks are heavy", actually a very nice song.
13. Reference to "S-List", this is getting scarey.
14. "Last but not least, it has to be something simple"

Allowing for the writer's somewhat open interpretation, Mr. Darling and Mr. Mueller are somewhat confused. The idea is get the cars running; not keep tearing them a part. It is called a running, working, drivable 914.

Can Mr. Darling and Mr. Mueller do it?

Are we going to take bets on these two??
Dave_Darling
I got ten bucks says DD won't make it there in his 914!

...Oh, wait.... <_<

--DD
GWN7
A group wearing masks, a roll of duck tape and a tow bar would make that a unsafe bet. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.