Well, I finally nailed it. First, thx to all those hints. When I pulled the engine to repair tube seals, oil cooler seals and valve adjuster (Thx, Slits) I found that the #2 injector was loose at the bracket. Yes, it had been off before, along w/ the rest of them. Feeling pretty stupid right now, but happy. When it fired it up the rpm was still high but much, much lower than previously. Then I pinched off the decel valve and she settled right down. Now that it's running I don't think I'll have too many problems diagnosing it in the future. I'll be damned if I'll let more than one thing go wrong before fixing it. The problems on these cars seem to multiply logarithmically as additional corrections accrue. And one more kudo to the furniture cart method for engine removal. It was soooooooo easy to reinstall. Well, next is paint. Built the disposable/portable spray booth last week. When I'm finished with it I'll gladly send it off with whomever. (I'm 1hr north of San Diego) Yes, it has filters and blower assm. You'll need plastic and lights to complete. (this is cross posted-gotta thank everybody)