Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third throttle cable in a year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zundfolge
WTF.gif

So is the "OEM" throttle cable Pelican sells just crap? Or am I doing something wrong? Is the Terry cable worth twice the price?

This is the third cable I've had to replace in less than a year ... seems to be kinking somewhere between the pedal and the firewall even though I made 110% sure its not binding on the clutch cable.

Now my car is carbed and you have to pump the pedal for a minute or two when starting it cold, so maybe I'm just putting the cable through too much stress.

Anyone make a fly by wire system for a carbed 914? blink.gif
SLITS
Do you have the stop in the pedal board that limits the stress on the cable? Is is set for no more than full throttle?
Zundfolge
Yep, the stop is set (I can actually move the throttle linkage a hair more while the pedal is to the floor). Actually my pedal board was missing the plastic stop so I installed a metal one.

I still suspect the pedal pumping done when its cold is the problem. I just want to know if the OEM cables Pelican sells are subpar and is the Terry cable worth the extra cost.

At this point the cable hasn't broken, but it is sticking (and I can hear it rubbing under the center cushion area)
SLITS
Kink or crud in tube causing it to wear prematurely? I'm out of ideas.
jim_hoyland
FYI- I've used the Terry Cables with no issue.
Kirmizi
Is it breaking at the same place everytime?
Just to throw this out there, what kind of shape is your transmission ground strap in? Don't ask me how I know about that. huh.gif
I'm using Terry Cables (both throttle and clutch) in mine with no problems.
Mike
Zundfolge
first cable broke at the carb end, second one broke at the pedal ... this hasn't broken yet but when it does I think it'll be under the center cushion area.
McMark
When the cable is new, is the action smooth? I know it's a completely subjective question, but unless you have monster return springs, the throttle should open smoothly and easily. Too much tension, or a weird routing can stress the cable to breaking.

A years worth of throttle blipping should absolutely not cause the cable to fail, in an otherwise functional installation. You should get YEARS out of a cable.
Cap'n Krusty
I know of a couple of daily driven 914s that have NEVER had the throttle cable replaced, and a number of others that have 15-20 years on theirs. Your problem might be installer error, no offense meant ....................

The Cap'n
MoveQik
I went through a cable in about 6 months. However, it was one that I installed and it ended up too close to the headers. It got too hot and screwed up the cable. Now I have it safely routed. Any chance that is happening to you?
Dr Evil
How is the ground strap on your transmission?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 21 2009, 12:03 AM) *

I second that emotion. Often the engine seeks the accelerator cable as its ground, heating the cable to slight melt and then it gets stiff and sticks. R&R the transmission ground strap make sure it is not unwound and or greenish, clean both surfaces to brilliant and replace tightly
pktzygt
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 21 2009, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 21 2009, 12:03 AM) *

I second that emotion. Often the engine seeks the accelerator cable as its ground, heating the cable to slight melt and then it gets stiff and sticks. R&R the transmission ground strap make sure it is not unwound and or greenish, clean both surfaces to brilliant and replace tightly

Ahhh, straight out of the Tech Tips book.
StratPlayer
When you installed the cable did you have any resistance in the tube when trying to slide into place. I had a Terry cable bust in half after only being about a year old. I found a small weld bead in the tunnel near the firewall. Mechanic that put the terrry cable in pounded the cable past the bead, it failed a year later. I found the bead when trying to install a new cable. Bead was removed and no problems since.
McMark
I found a small weld bead in the tunnel near the firewall.

That's why I like to braze clutch tubes back into place, just like the factory originally installed them.
Zundfolge
The ground strap is an interesting idea, I'll check it and the route of the cable by the headers.

I'm also going to run a bore brush through the metal tube through the firewall (I figure a .44 brush should be large enough ... I might have a 16ga one laying around here somewhere).

I'm going to go ahead and order the OEM one since it doesn't seem to be the weak link.

This did get me thinking about some sort of electronic system ... I wonder if it would be easier to sync the carbs with a couple of electronic actuators and an electronic pedal as opposed to the cable and linkage system I've got.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.