Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Did you grow up watching the show "The Prisoner"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
number6
OK, so I get asked all the time about my username "number6." ("All the time" being 3 wink.gif )

It's a reference to the above-named TV series. The main character was No.6.

A few friends have thought that I was bragging about owning a /6. Being that this is a 914 forum, I should've anticipated that, but the connection with 914-6 never crossed my mind. Well, plus, at the time my account was created, I hadn't bought the new car.

Do you all remember the show? Good stuff, huh?!

I feel No. 2 over my shoulders...

-number6
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 20 2009, 10:29 PM) *

OK, so I get asked all the time about my user name "number6." ("All the time" being 3 wink.gif

It's a reference to the above-named TV series. The main character was No.6.

A few friends have thought that I was bragging about owning a /6. Being that this is a 914 forum, I should've anticipated that, but the connection with 914-6 never crossed my mind. Well, plus, at the time my account was created, I hadn't bought the new car.

Do you all remember the the show? Good stuff, huh?!

I feel No. 2 over my shoulders...

-number6

Wait a minute #6.. shouldn't you be on the Lotus forum? Cool show with an untra cool Partick McGuan(sp). Almost bougt a Super 7 but rememberd the "prince of Darkness" Lucas.
SW
Zundfolge
AMC is doing a remake
http://www.amctv.com/originals/the-prisoner/
number6
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 20 2009, 10:35 PM) *

You just made my night!

"Who is Number 1?"
number6
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Aug 20 2009, 10:34 PM) *

Wait a minute #6.. shouldn't you be on the Lotus forum? Cool show with an untra cool Partick McGuan(sp). Almost bougt a Super 7 but rememberd the "prince of Darkness" Lucas.
SW

This number 6 never really liked the look of that Lotus. I know, coming from someone who thinks 914s are good looking... wink.gif

"I am not a number - I am a free man!"
RoadGlue
Watch out for Rover! Sylvie and I have wanted to build a Lotus 7 ever since buying the Prisoner Series on DVD (highly recommended). Best ever! Ending is kRaZy, but it works somehow.
number6
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 21 2009, 12:22 AM) *

Watch out for Rover! Sylvie and I have wanted to build a Lotus 7 ever since buying the Prisoner Series on DVD (highly recommended). Best ever! Ending is kRaZy, but it works somehow.

Rover - of course! The soundtrack was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY

I was watching it in syndication (1968 was a little before my time) and they stopped before broadcasting the final episodes! So, to everyone, please, no ending spoilers! Thank you. Can't wait to get my DVD set.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 20 2009, 11:44 PM) *

before broadcasting the final episodes! So, to everyone, please, no ending spoilers!

Don't worry - I don't think there's a single person here that could summarize, in writing, how the series ended. smile.gif

w00t.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 21 2009, 01:48 AM) *

"Who is Number 1?"

"You are Number Six!"

thumb3d.gif
abbott295
Vague memories of the show.

But I saw a Volvo 1800 convertible just the other day. Wasn't that "The Saint?" Right now the actor's name escapes me, but at the end of the intro, the screen reads, "Roger Moore in.." as he pulls up in the car and the front license plate appears under the "in"... KAR 1200.
blitZ
Yes, Roger Moore played The Saint, great series. I have the Prisoner on DVD. I had vaguely remembered it from watching it on TV in the late 60s. It's a bit corny by today's standards, still a classic. Patrick McGoohan, number 6 and creator of the show, passed away this past January.

QUOTE(abbott295 @ Aug 21 2009, 08:08 AM) *

Vague memories of the show.

But I saw a Volvo 1800 convertible just the other day. Wasn't that "The Saint?" Right now the actor's name escapes me, but at the end of the intro, the screen reads, "Roger Moore in.." as he pulls up in the car and the front license plate appears under the "in"... KAR 1200.
zymurgist
QUOTE(abbott295 @ Aug 21 2009, 08:08 AM) *

But I saw a Volvo 1800 convertible just the other day. Wasn't that "The Saint?"

"The Saint" indeed drove a Volvo 1800 coupe. The car was at the Carlisle Import / Kit / Replicar show a couple of years ago. Sir Roger wasn't there as he probably had something else going on. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
HarveyH
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 21 2009, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 21 2009, 01:48 AM) *

"Who is Number 1?"

"You are Number Six!"

thumb3d.gif

The actual phrasing was:
"You are...........................Number six"
Based on the ending of the show there has been a lot of discussion on that long pause.
veltror
What do you want

Information

You won't get it

By hook or by crook we will..
number6
QUOTE(veltror @ Aug 21 2009, 12:11 PM) *

What do you want

Information

You won't get it

By hook or by crook we will..

You just summed up why the show left such an impression on me.
jhadler
Loved the show. Truly brilliant. Ending was...well...different...

Count me in the category that was disappointed in the ending.

In college we arranged a showing of one episode each week. Room was packed every time.

Click to view attachment

-Josh2

... be seeing you...
johannes
That's funny because I just (re)watched the first episode yesterday ... I own all the series on VHS. I like it very much. When I was young I found this white ball very scary.
I also found out how the filming and the editing is so modern. Lots of short shots with weird angles. And the music is just awesome.
mikeyb33
QUOTE(number6 @ Aug 20 2009, 10:29 PM) *

Do you all remember the show?
That would be telling...
biggrin.gif

Didn't see the show as a kid when it first aired, but back in the 90's our local (SF Bay Area) public TV station aired the series. Really loved it, although I was bitterly disappointed at the incomprehensible ending.

BTW, some trivia for you:
Do you remember that surveillance "eye" thing on the show? It was hanging in the control room, some sort of all-seeing device which monitored the prisoners/ characters. Also seen at the 2:44 mark of this intro. I'm not sure of its specific origin but, there are (or, were, as of 1997 when I visited) a pair of them in the central train station in Vienna: About halfway up a pair of escalators, they are hanging opposite the two escalators facing each other. The eye is a tv screen, and it changes appearance periodically in some sort of response to the other one. Some sort of public art - not sure if they were created before the Prisoner, or perhaps as a result of it. (And alas my internet search skills have failed to come up with more..)

anyway there's your trivia fact of the day -

cheers,
-mike
GeorgeRud
Was Number 6 really Number 1?

Ever since I first saw the show, I wanted a Lotus 7. Many, many years ago I actually would fit in one!

Now we can start on Emma Peel's Elan!
TravisNeff
How about the Iron Maiden song, The Prisoner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBd3FD1GRY...PL&index=22
Drums66
Oh yes!.......obscure programing
everything else is too boring normal! popcorn[1].gif
the name was patrick mcGowan.... shades.gif
always had my eye on that model volvo!!
scotty
The Prisoner
The Saint
The Avengers (Mrs. Peel!)

I loved them all well into reruns...
zymurgist
Mrs. Peel, we're needed!

Click to view attachment
RJMII
"Who... does... number 2... work for... ???"

That line makes a lot more sense now.

zymurgist
Yeah baby!
tat2dphreak
I was going to make an obscure Beavis and butthead refrence to all this number talk, but I'm afraid it would have been lost, and I'd just sound weird smile.gif

I caught a few avengers in reruns, but never saw the prisoner or the saint(except the val kilmer movie)

reason #483 to hang out at 914world... these guys make you feel young smile.gif poke.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 24 2009, 11:28 AM) *

I was going to make an obscure Beavis and butthead refrence to all this number talk, but I'm afraid it would have been lost, and I'd just sound weird smile.gif

I for one have never been afraid of sounding weird. w00t.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 24 2009, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 24 2009, 11:28 AM) *

I for one have never been afraid of sounding weird. w00t.gif

ok then... number 1, I order you to take a number 2

aye,aye, captain
zymurgist
heh heh heh... I get the reference.
BigDBass
Somehow this old thread showed up in a convoluted search with lots of * and " and +, and I have to chime in that I discovered this show on reruns when I was in college and it made a lasting impression. One of my all time favorites. The white ball was scary, although that may have been influenced by other aspects of college "education"!

And now I can't remember what I was searching the forums for.
veltror
The remake is total bollocks do not even bother watching it although there are many old cars in it, the Bedford Black Van is very sinister... in the Return of the Saint Ian Ogilvy drove a white Jag XJS..
Archie
Well I saw The Prisoner when it first came out when I was growing up in England - I realise that this puts me somewhere around the Stone Age - and the final episode (when everybody thought that all would be revealed and wasn't) caused uproar! Incidentally, that episode of The Avengers with Diana Rigg in that.........er, costume, is called A Touch of Brimstone from 1966, and is still banned on many TV stations in America........lots of trivia for you!

1972 1.7L, L21E (Tangerine), brown interior.

Mrs. Peel YOU'RE needed!
VaccaRabite
I did not think that last years Prisoner remake was terrible. It captured a lot of the feel of the show, but without really feeling like the show, if that makes sense.

At the time, I hated it, but kept watching to see how it went on. I actually liked the story, but it just was not the Prisoner. Not in the classic sense. Number 2 stole every scene he was in, of course - its Ian McKellen. Everyone else was just filler, and the Prisoner was not about rooting for the bad guy.

Zach
Andyrew
Im downloading all the "The Prisoner" episodes as we speak! Cant wait to watch them all!!! I think I'll host a weekly party to watch the episodes!!!

DonTraver
My friend Bernard in Caudan, France has a Lotus 7. He's a big Prisoner fan. By the way it's Patrick McGoohan, Bernard made sure I spelled it right.

I just spent a week with him in Caudan. Everytime we went out to see something, he would drive the Lotus 7, I'd be behind him in my RSA. The Lotus just turned heads everywhere. Yes, I got a ride in it, with the top on, you have to be a contortionist to get in and out. The pedals are real close together and the emergency brake handle sticks into the back of passengers leg.

He told me there's a Prisoner Club, they get together every year at the orignal Prisoner set. It still exists in the UK.

Here's some pictures of the Lotus 7, Bernard, his wife Magali, and Leon their dog.

Don
DonTraver
Lotus 7

Ok, it says something about global limit and won't let me upload the pictures, oh well.

DonTraver
Try again
Archie
Yep! That's a French number plate. The last two digits tell you where it's registered and is the first two digits of their postal (zip) codes. Talk about joined-up thinking! Although I think the hated European Union might have changed all that.
Good grief, I'm turning into the Trivia King!

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 19 2010, 09:46 AM) *

Try again

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.