Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: okay first stupid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
993inNC
so the PO of my new to me 914 says to me "the rear decklid won't stay shut"..............oh okay no big deal, I say.

Wrong! I think of myself as fairly capable, so it pains me to ask, but why is it that the plunger engages the striker but won't stay engaged headbang.gif
I took the 2 pieces off the car, brought them together in hand, and can see them join, but even then won't stay together......whats the deal? Am I missing something here? I did notice the two points that join are not a square notch but more of an angled union (why I don't know) and there was wear on the 2 parts that slide past one another........... I'm stumped dry.gif
URY914
After 30 years things wear out. The piece on the trunk that looks like a penis is wore down to the point that the "head" will not catch on the latch and stay latched. Common problem.
DNHunt
A little booger weld a file will fix it. Or maybe you can find a replacement part.

Dave
Gint
:agree ...what they said... Find another local and slap in a better used part than the one you have.

And welcome.png

SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 21 2009, 05:27 AM) *

A little booger weld and a file will fix it.

agree.gif
993inNC
huh......so I'm not a complete 'tard then (thats re assuring). I tried grinding down the latch on the body side last night to allow the clasp to come further in......to no avail.
Seems like a stupid design if I may, considering VW never used one that looked like that (that I know of being an early water cooled VW guy). Ok, I'll come up with a fix smile.gif thanks guys
rjames
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 11:54 AM) *

huh......so I'm not a complete 'tard then (thats re assuring). I tried grinding down the latch on the body side last night to allow the clasp to come further in......to no avail.
Seems like a stupid design if I may, considering VW never used one that looked like that (that I know of being an early water cooled VW guy). Ok, I'll come up with a fix smile.gif thanks guys

Try posting an add in the classifieds for working latch. I'm sure someone here will have one for you.
Lou W
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 21 2009, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 11:54 AM) *

Try posting an add in the classifieds for working latch. I'm sure someone here will have one for you.

Check with "bd stone" he's a member here, he probably has one. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 10:54 AM) *

I tried grinding down the latch on the body side last night to allow the clasp to come further in......to no avail.

You need to add material to the lower portion of the < shaped cutout on the pin.

The edge wears down to a roundish shape and the pin starts slipping.
Easy fix if you have a welder and a metal file.
welder.gif Andy
993inNC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2009, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 10:54 AM) *

I tried grinding down the latch on the body side last night to allow the clasp to come further in......to no avail.

You need to add material to the lower portion of the < shaped cutout on the pin.

The edge wears down to a roundish shape and the pin starts slipping.
Easy fix if you have a welder and a metal file.
welder.gif Andy

Oh...........I have a welder biggrin.gif
I saw the wear area last night you're talking about and thought about the extra material thing but I didn't think that would do it since its a v shaped notch and not square. Thought about filling it in completely and starting over with the notch.......thoughts?
kenshapiro2002
Same here. I just tell women it used to be huge but I wore it down to a nub.

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 21 2009, 09:22 AM) *

After 30 years things wear out. The piece on the trunk that looks like a penis is wore down to the point that the "head" will not catch on the latch and stay latched. Common problem.

993inNC
av-943.gif LMAO............that's just wrong on so many levels piratenanner.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 06:09 PM) *

Ah Grasshopper..... in time you will learn that on 914World the words "politically correct" and 'socially adept" do not exist.......... lol-2.gif
993inNC
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 21 2009, 08:04 PM) *

Ah Grasshopper..... in time you will learn that on 914World the words "politically correct" and 'socially adept" do not exist.......... lol-2.gif

aktion035.gif lets rock! I'll feel right at home then lol-2.gif
kenshapiro2002
What did I start...what the fu....never mind.
QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 21 2009, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 21 2009, 08:04 PM) *

aktion035.gif lets rock! I'll feel right at home then lol-2.gif

993inNC
Oh pa-lease..............make a comment like #11 post and then ask what you started biggrin.gif You know what you've done young man, you know.....
kenshapiro2002
Never again...I'm one of those east coast left wing, Colbert lovin'...I can't afford to get kicked out of this group; need the support ad technical advice wayyyyyyy too much. Please don't tell anybody I wasn't PC and that I used humor...PLEASE!!!

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 22 2009, 09:20 AM) *

Oh pa-lease..............make a comment like #11 post and then ask what you started biggrin.gif You know what you've done young man, you know.....

993inNC
Well now I don't have to, you just did biggrin.gif Please don't clean up on my account. You're chatting with the king of smart a$$
Colbert I could never stand when he was on John Stewart's show, but lately I've gotten mildly into him and his show. He's starting to do what Stewart has done, which is sprinkle in true sincere feelings and opinions wrapped in sarcasm, ones I find myself siding with. And i dug his half baked attempt at running for South Carolina office.
kenshapiro2002
If you wanna see my true, jew, colors, check out my the site for my baddass motorcycle club, now in our sixth year, Semites On Bikes (SOB), a group of non-sterotypical jews (and about 25% non jews). Or Google us and see our nude calendar for animal rescue, or our battle with the KKK at Gettysburg, etc.

www.semitesonbikes.com (don't try to join unless you have a bike)
www.petrescueofmd.org (to buy a calendar and support the cause)

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 22 2009, 02:30 PM) *

Well now I don't have to, you just did biggrin.gif Please don't clean up on my account. You're chatting with the king of smart a$$
Colbert I could never stand when he was on John Stewart's show, but lately I've gotten mildly into him and his show. He's starting to do what Stewart has done, which is sprinkle in true sincere feelings and opinions wrapped in sarcasm, ones I find myself siding with. And i dug his half baked attempt at running for South Carolina office.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.