Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler/pump ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
since I'm doing the engine swap soon I want to know a few things...

should I replace the old oil pump from my 1.7 with a new Heavy duty pump? it's only $60, but if it doesn't offer anything over the stock one I have... it would give me some peace of mind... but I need the group's opinion...

also, the oil cooler from the 1.7... is there a way to test these? are they failure prone like the type 1 cooler is?

1 more thing: I noticed that the engine seals (rubber pieces that attach the body to the engine tin)... is this bad? will it affect anything if the tin is in good shape?

I am cheap, but I don't want this engine to go bad simply because I didn't take the time to ask or the money to do it right... I want to do it right, but as cheaply as possible...

thanks for all your help
Dave_Darling
Check the stock oil pump. If it's in good shape, and the parts are in spec, use it.

If the cooler was on an engine that ate itself, treat it like toxic waste. Take it to someone who can deal with it properly... If it was on an engine that had good oil pressure and decent compression, you might get away with just having it thoroughly cleaned (ultrasonic?). But I'd be prone to get a new cooler--you really don't want to start out with debris in your oil passages.

The rubber seals help keep the warm air that gets dumped under the car from being sucked in by the cooling fan and used to cool the car. You may be able to fake something up with duct tape or whatever, or use one of the "garage door weatherstripping" products to make something that works OK... I would get new stuff, myself. (Actually, I already did!!)

--DD
72914S
On the H.D. pump its my understanding that if you don`t mill it for an o-ring it won`t seal up.ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
Jake Raby
The answer is a Type I pump..
tat2dphreak
is a type 1 pump a bolt on? I thought they were different?
72914S
Tell me more about the type 1 pump ,more volume ? more pressure?
tat2dphreak
I checked aircooled.net:

Aircooled.net type 1 oil pump

they sell the oil pump, modified for type 4 engines for $50!

that's a sweet deal, in my book...

Jake, is there anything we should know if we go with one of these? too much pressure?
Jake Raby
Its not about pressure, its about volume. I don't like pressure, but love volume and open tolerances..

You also need a modified cam gear to make it work...

JUST DO IT!
tat2dphreak
modify the cam gear? how? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
write a tech article and have it put in the classic threads.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.