Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP, battery dead again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
Went to work early today and once again left the turn signal on and the battery was dead. The guys love to push start my car (with one hand) but I will have to listen to this for weeks.

Is there a way that you can make the turn signal shut itself off after the turn? Should the light stay on if the motor is off? Usually if I am driving I see it still on, it is when I park soon after turning that I keep forgetting to put it back in position, thus the light on that side of the car stays on.

If not we need someone to come up with a fix for those of us who keep forgetting. I hate to admit it but I have done it quite a few times.
Thanks for your help,
Sherry driving-girl.gif
mike_the_man
Something doesn't sound right to me. The signals should cancel, but I think that there is a little plastic tab in the column that can break off. I'm not too sure about that. But, I'm pretty sure that your signals shouldn't stay on when the car is off. I'm quite sure that mine don't. It sounds to me like something is wired up wrong. I'm sure others will have better advice.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Mar 9 2004, 12:34 PM)
Went to work early today and once again left the turn signal on and the battery was dead.

short answer: it's supposed to work that way.

Euro parking light.

it should _not_ flatten the battery in just one day.
either your battery is toast and won't hold a charge, or your alternator / voltage regulator are *really* marginal. or some combincation of all three. usually in conjunction with bad contacts at the battery posts and grounds.

your alternator is not a bettery charger. if your battery is flat you should put a proper charger on it for a while and get it up to snuff.

get in the habit of neutralising the turn signal every time you get out.
ppickerell
If you have an aftermarket steering wheel, there is a good chance that it's installation has defeated the auto shut off mechanism. (ask me how I know). Mine also stays lit with the key out of the ignition.
GaroldShaffer
It should cancell, mine doesn't but it is because of the set up for the dino wheel. Sounds like you need a new switch?

- Garold
blonde914
So, are you saying that they should cancel themselves and the light should not stay on? Maybe a problem with the wiring?

The battery is not up to snuff, it sat for 4 months and I have left the turn light on three times since Sunday when I got her home. I know, I need to check it before I get out, but I am so high from driving her I just forget my head!

I will need a couple of more weeks of no snow or rain(I saw flurries on my way home) and clean roads so I can get used to her again. She has been very patient with me so far. I only got to drive her for a few short weeks this past fall before we put her in storage, I am still learning her gears; she is so particular. God I love this car!

Sherry driving-girl.gif
Dave_Darling
There are "bits" inside the steering wheel that cause the turn signal to cancel when you turn the wheel enough in the correct direction. Those "bits" need to be adapted to aftermarket steering wheels, or the turn signal will not cancel. They can also fail in a stock steering wheel, which will again cause the turn signal not to cancel.

The light staying on, however, is the way it is supposed to work. I believe you'll find that it's the side marker, rather than the front turn signal, that stays on.

--DD
SirAndy
yes, the blinker is intended to be used as a parking light.

wait until dark, take the key out of the ignition and when you turn the blinker lever down, your drivers side parking lights will come on, turn it up and the pass. side parking lights will come on.

THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL

yes, your blinker is supposed to cancel when you turn the wheel the other way, but that can take up to a full revolution ...

but your real problem is your electrical system.
there is NO WAY the parking light can drain a healthy battery over night.
either your battery is toast or your alternator is not charging well anymore ...

Andy
blonde914
I know I have weakened the battery, my husband tells me this everytime he sees the light on in the back of the car. He says it does not hold a charge as it should because I have kept running the battery down, I have a new one in the garage, but I need to fix this or learn to check it before I ruin another battery.

Now, where should I look for the "bits". How do I know if I have an aftermarket steering wheel, I don't think it is. Do I need to replace this part?

Sorry for needing so much help, I think I am going to try to do some of this work myself, after all I am a an intelligent woman. If you guys can do it so can I, at least I can try!

Sherry driving-girl.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Mar 9 2004, 03:27 PM)
Now, where should I look for the "bits".  How do I know if I have an aftermarket steering wheel, I don't think it is.  Do I need to replace this part?

look at the picture of the steering wheel in the copy of the Haynes you have by now.
does yours look like that ? if not - for instance - it has 3 spokes like lots of aftermarket wheels - you get to tinker...

if it does, either the turnsignal-cancelling part of the turn signal assembly may have worn, or the turn signal cancelling tang on the bottom of the wheel may have worn.

remove the horn ring - the Haynes has the procedure for this, basically you turn it anti-clockwise about 30 degrees. use a 1-1/16" socket to remove the retaining nut. if it's been on there a long time, you'll probably need an impact wrench or someone to hold the wheel - they can be on there pretty snug. use a Sharpie or Magic Marker to mark the position of the wheel on the shaft. pull it off. you'll be able to see the parts that work the turn signals on the left.

here's an important question - after you've made a turn - do your turn signals turn themselves off, or do you have to cancel them by yourself ? if they don't cancel themselves in normal operation, you will get to fix something - either the mechanism, or your way of thinking with a 30- year- old car int he family ...

if they -do- cancel themselves in normal operation, everything's fine, but you probably have a parking situation where you can leave the wheels turned after driving to a stop. if that's the case, nothing is wrong electrically, nothing is wrong mechanically, you just have to learn to neutralise the turn signal lever by yourself.
mike_the_man
Is it normal for the turn signal to stay on after the car is shut off? Mine don't seem to do that. Is it an early car thing? Seems kind of silly to me for them to stay on after the car is off.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Mar 10 2004, 07:58 AM)
Is it normal for the turn signal to stay on after the car is shut off? Mine don't seem to do that. Is it an early car thing? Seems kind of silly to me for them to stay on after the car is off.

yes, it is normal.
i have no idea why yours doesn't, AFAIK, they all (should) do it.

it is normal for parking lights to remain illuminated while the car is parked ...
TheCabinetmaker
The turn signal will stay on constantly when the lever is engaged before the key is turned off. The parking lights only stay on when you don't turn the lights off.
ArtechnikA
i don't have a wiring diagram close at hand to verify, but i believe you will find that the 'all-night' or 'Euro' parking light function actuated by the turnsignal lever in fact uses the parking light filament in the dual-filament bulb, rather than the brighter turn signal element. i believe this is true of both front and back light assemblies.
TheCabinetmaker
That is correct Rich, but it's still controlled by the turn signal lever, and only one side will remain on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.