Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running a little hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Howdy!

So we're on our 1200+ road trip in my '74 914 (the blue one!) and she's running a little hot. I can't tell how hot the oil temp is from this gauge though.

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 21 2009, 05:42 PM) *

Howdy!

So we're on our 1200+ road trip in my '74 914 (the blue one!) and she's running a little hot. I can't tell how hot the oil temp is from this gauge though.

IPB Image

It's not in the red, so you are OK.

McMark
OMG! yikes.gif

J/K
Porsche says, "You're fine!" That's how I read non-numerical gauges.
RoadGlue
Works for me! We'll see how it does on the Grapevine going north on Sunday. We're in San Diego now (1/2 way through our trip mileage wise) and we haven't had any big mountain passes yet. Skirted by the big stuff coming down by going Hwy 1 and 101. smile.gif

Thanks!
914Sixer
On the 74-up they changed the scale to a smaller on the keep from scaring people, On the early scale you would be very close but not in any danger. Here is an option I came up with.
detoxcowboy
Your fine, if the gauge goes higher just back off the engine on the highway or wherever for 5 minutes and it will drop.. ambient temps make a difference.. my 914 runs hotter through L.A. and cools off on the central coast.. which is the route i suggest.. highway 1 is sweet for the 914.... read this it is well informed and will tell you more about the 914 gauge than you will get from here.. oh wait a minute you just got it here.. "the grapEvine is a 914 killer" just kidding .. i used to drag my 1.7 up that hill and decided the 1.7 is not for hill climbing..

THIS INFO> IS DIRECTLY FOR THE 914'S OIL TEMP. FACTORY SET UP.. EVEN USING NOT METRIC GAUGE WIRE WILL SLIGHTLY SCEW THE READING TOO.. DUMMY DUMMY DUMMY GAUGE FOR SHOWING DRASTIC CHANGES NOT COOKING A PRIME RIB..

NUMBER #3 is most pertaining to your situation of judging the gauge.. slow rise time, quick drop time..

Oil Temperature:

The oil is heated by the friction of the contact surfaces within the engine and cooled by the fan directing air through the oil cooler. In order to provide adequate lubrication, the oil must be maintained at a suitable temperature. If it's too low, it will not burn off contaminants that have settled in the crankcase. When the temperature is too high it the oil thins and breaks down becoming a less effective lubricant (it loses its shear strength). The main reason to check your oil temperature is to ensure your oil is not overheating because the stock engine is designed to warm up the oil appropriately. When it does overeat you will also notice an oil pressure loss. This is less of a problem for synthetic oils that can be heated to 300F but pure petroleum based oils have a rated viscosity at 212F and begin to break down at 250F where synthetic oils are still comfortable.

The problem with oil temperature gauge is threefold:

1. The senders are not mounted in an ideal place to take the oil temperature which varies throughout the case. The oil pressure sender is located after the oil cooler so that's not a good place to tee into. Hoover says the best place to mount one is right before the oil pump using the oil gallery plug behind the oil pickup tube. This is because the oil that has just been through the engine and is on its way through again.

Unfortunately this means removing the plug and tapping the case which is beyond the skills of most vw hobbyists. (Factoid: some of the early Type 4 cases had a threaded plug which was removed and replaced with a temp sender on the industrial engines. Most Type 4's do not). Either way, that location is blocked by one of the engine mounts, which would require you to modify the mount as well.

The most popular location on a Type IV engines is the inspection plate cover just to the right of the oil strainer cover (see link at end). Folks drill the plate precisely with a 9/16" bit or weld a nut on the backside for the M14x1.5 oil temp sender.

914 engines had a inspection plate that was designed for this very purpose. VDO sold it at one time as 240 827. The price was $50-60 at the Porsche dealer, somewhat less at your VDO retailer. It's sometimes called the taco plate because of its shape and it replaces the stock plate. The problem with this location is that is still at the corner of the case and does not get a good supply of oil. Therefore the oil temperature is not indicative of temperature of the recirculating oil.

The sender in the photo is the longer style 914 sender. It's designed for a 400F factory gauge and can't be used with the aftermarket VDO gauge. Even with the shorter sender you will find that the dipstick will hit the sender and you will have to file 10mm off the end of your dipstick. Since the dipstick marks are further up, this is a safe modification to make.

These are the various Porsche part numbers involved (courtesy Dave Darling). The items marked in yellow are all that you really need.

Taco plate: 039-101-267
Protective cap: 039-101-275 (wind deflector for cover plate)
O-ring: 021-101-269A
Copper 6mm crush washers: N-013-803-2
Crush washer for sender: 900 123 007 30
Cable holder: 039-101-283
Boot: 311-949-149A
Original 914 sender: 039-919-268
Original 914 gauge: 914 641 118 20
(later version): 914 641 118 30
The VDO part numbers have never changed:

VDO sender: 323 055
VDO gauge: 310 012

Some people like the Berg Dipstick but I think it suffers from the same problems and you lose your oil pressure warning light and the light going on every time the oil temp hits 220F would be annoying. VDO makes a dipstick sender for their gauges but the reading is no better than the sump mounted sender. There is a Type 4 version of this dipstick sender (VDO50003 in the Just Kampers catalog) but be aware it's very long and designed for the 411 engine layout with it's overhead dipstick, unlike the short rearward bus dipstick.

2. If you drill into the inspection plate then the sender will be in the airflow below the engine. Some folks who've found the 914 plate often lack the accompanying cover plate that keeps the airflow from reaching the sender. The result is the same either way: the sender is overcooled and this throws off the reading so you must have a deflection cover in place.

3. The VDO sender has a very slow rise time. Once the oil reaches 250F it may take 3-5 minutes for the gauge to read that value. It's a problem with the sender not the gauge and partly due the fact that the sender is attached to a big piece of metal which acts as a heatsink. When the temperature falls, the gauge responds instantly which is some improvement. This behavior is due to its thermistor based technology. If the senders were thermocouple based the response would be instant but thermocouples have other problems that have to be considered...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ConeDodger
blink.gif Doood! Did you just type all of that now??? Very cool!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 22 2009, 08:04 AM) *

blink.gif Doood! Did you just type all of that now??? Very cool!

NO I did not as you see little or no typo's.. Here is the sweet link to the OIL temp, Pressure, Cylinder Head Temp RE: the 914 factory set up and options..

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

great info..
RoadGlue
Thanks for all the great info Perrin! We actually came down Hwy 1 - Stayed in Monterey mon night, in Cambria tues night, then stayed two nights in the Pacific Palisades. Drove straight down to San Diego last night and we're going to a wedding over here near La Mesa later this afternoon. Tomorrow we need to get our butts all the way up to Fresno which is why taking Hwy 1 back up isn't an option.

It seems no matter how fast I drive, even bopping along at 95 (GPS confirmed) on the 5 (in cool weather) I can't make the gauge get into the red. My gut tells me things will be different if I don't slow down and keep the RPMs up going over the grapevine, but I'm not going to worry as much now. Good to know about the heatsick effect and the slow temp rise. Thanks again!
RoadGlue
Just south of Oxnard on Hwy 1:

IPB Image
detoxcowboy
did not see your Sonoma start point .. you know where your at.. I would not try to get it in the red..

The 1974-1976 Porsche 914 temp gauge, part number 914 641 118 30, has an unmarked scale with a smaller red alert area. Assuming that this scale mirrors that of the 1974-1976 2.0 combo gauges, the range begins at 30 degrees Celsius, and the redline, still beginning at 156.7 degrees Celsius, has shrunk and terminates at 170 degrees Celsius (at which point your engine would be seized, but not actually burning).

with the heat sink affect you may be burnt when the gauge is just going into the red.. stay out of the red.. these are not percision gauges..
76-914
If the need arises, I am in Temecula (45 miles north of SD) and your welcome to my garage and/or tools. Ron (AKA Slits) is another 45 miles north of me. On second thought, maybe we should create a list of 914 "Safe Houses" for those who would like to take their 914's on a road trip????
McMark
How did it work out? Learn any tricks you might wanna share? happy11.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 25 2009, 02:26 PM) *

How did it work out? Learn any tricks you might wanna share? happy11.gif

Mark's been watching my facebook updates. smile.gif

We made it home last night. Sunday sucked though. Lots of mini break downs due to overheating FI & ignition components. I learned that in this car I should have stayed on the coastal routes and left the warmer inland routes for a more tried and tested car that wasn't already showing signs of wanting to overheat.

The good news is that on the last leg/day from Fresno to Santa Rosa, we took it really slow coming up the 99 and we didn't have any other issues.

The gearbox is toast though. With 350,000 on it I knew it was just a matter of time before it was going to let go. The diff was noisy at the start of the trip, now it's nearly twice as loud. The whole thing got so hot that something in the gearbox has gone wonky and now it's really hard to shift in and out of all gears. Very very stiff.

The gauge never got into the red, but I'd say it was within an 1/8" at one point! Stuff that was in the rear trunk, including my laptop, got so hot you couldn't touch them. The laptop survived (don't ask why I threw it back there - *brain freeze*).

Along Hwy 395:
IPB Image

LA, near Beverly Hills:
IPB Image

Along the Tehachapi Pass:
IPB Image

Hwy 1, somewhere around Big Sur:
IPB Image

Tons more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelrandy/se...57622111332098/
underthetire
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 22 2009, 12:25 PM) *

If the need arises, I am in Temecula (45 miles north of SD) and your welcome to my garage and/or tools. Ron (AKA Slits) is another 45 miles north of me. On second thought, maybe we should create a list of 914 "Safe Houses" for those who would like to take their 914's on a road trip????

I like the "safehouse" idea !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.