Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Long/Firewall reinforcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Engman
Well, I have begun the work on the 74LE. I have to repair the interior longs and firewall. Front trunk work (major) will be later when it is warmer and I find the needed parts. Here are a couple of shots....
Engman
The fix part 1
Engman
another
Engman
whoops - here
Engman
Drivers side
Engman
Last one - holes will be put in to tack it to the long and rear
East coaster
Man....good luck. I did one years ago that was at least that bad if not worse. On the east coast that's as common as an oil change! laugh.gif

Nice patch fabrication. Good to see another one being saved!
Doug Leggins
Looks like a great start. Good to see that your finding the time to work on the LE. Did any of the leads on front end parts work out?
Engman
Thanks! No leads on the front yet, but I am very patient.

Actually these are laser cut templates. These were the first set for test fit. Brad got me to thinking about a kit to reinforce the interior. I plan on adding holes for tack welding, couple of minor fit tweaks and reliefs for hand forming. Then If there is enough interest I may offer sets for sale. These are 16g.

I am hoping Brad will chime in with suggestions on improvements.

Brad?

M
Bleyseng
16gauge, that pretty heavy. Is it really rusted thru? I haven't seen the before pics.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Hey Mark.. great job clap56.gif clap56.gif This is exactly what I envisioned "laser cut". I actually brought this up with a local company to have them make it for me.. it looks like I will stop and just have you do them now. I think these things will FLY off the shelf. MUCH MUCH more effective than the outside versions and much easier to install (and cover.)

It will need the "rosette" holes for welding. HUm.. now we need some advertising.

B
Engman
Yep the rosette holes are soon to be added. I have a couple of tiny adjustments to make to the fit and they will be done. I will send you a set so you can test fit and comment. Ship to HPH?

M
kenpolives
That set does look nice, any idea on cost for the set?
Engman
No firm pricing yet as the holes need to be added to get an accurate time for the laser. Ballpark pricing is going to be in the $100.00 range. BTW - steel prices have DOUBLED in the last two months - many places are on allocation - indicators show a lot of places will be in a real crunch in the May- June timeframe. Think of what this means to the automakers! It is real funny that this has not been in the mainstream media.

M
maf914
Mark, Are you going to cut openings to correspond to those in the sides of the longitudinals, like at the front near the warm air tube exit?

What's the deal with steel prices. Is this an international situation?

Mike
davep
It is funny you should mention steel prices. Stelco in Hamilton, Ontario is a big producer of steel sheet for the auto industry and it just went into bankrupcy protection. Go figure. With steel prices doubling you would think that profits would be pretty good. I wonder, is it just that steel prices have recovered to profitable levels from a bankrupting slump? Too often we forget that a big jump in prices or profits only means that the situation is returning to normal from a bad situation. What I mean is, if a companies profit doubles from 1% ROI to 2% ROI they are not gouging the comsumer but instead are still doing very badly.
Mueller
steel prices have DOUBLED in the last two months - many places are on allocation

I was talking to Tony C and a co-worker of mine about this, everyone is seeing higher prices, I'm afraid what it's going to do for my bearing kit's. I'm pretty much all out of stock and started the re-order process......

From what I understand, the price increase can be blamed on China, they are sucking up raw materials and finished metals at an alarming rate. Its going to put some places out of business I am afraid sad.gif
Engman
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 10 2004, 10:10 AM)
Mark, Are you going to cut openings to correspond to those in the sides of the longitudinals, like at the front near the warm air tube exit?

What's the deal with steel prices. Is this an international situation?

Mike

Good question!!! I can do that but what is th list opinion? I know theae acces holes are there, but what good are they. BTW - in final form these will be painted (cathodic e-coat).

M
Engman
There are several resons steel prices have gone sky-high (Ihave never seen it this high) - coke supplier has a fire in one of the mines, China has been buying literally all of our steel scrap (steel scrap prices have doubled as a result), Answan Dam is consuming about 5% of all steel produced worldwide and the economy for steel goods has picked up due to low mortgage rates.

M
RON S.
Here's a take on how I fixed mine several years back.Pic is about 4 years old.
Ya can see how much a piece of shit I started with.So who could make it any worse.Right.
Made my longs from 12GA.
As for steel price.I work as an estimator here in a fab/machine shop.Right now I buying steel sheet and plate at about 42-45cents/lb.
2-3 months ago I was buying it at 25-27cents/lb.
Do the math
Ron
ruddyboys
Engman, I have almost the simular problem on the passenger side, I hope you can keep the pictures comming on the progress.
Pat-
Brad Roberts
Mark,

Dont put the holes in them. Dimple the area that covers our stock access holes so we know where they are in case we need to cut through them, but make this area solid. Every holes weekens the part.

B
Engman
I will put a 1" hole where these are.... just finished revising the layout..... added more easy form bends- hand bend to fit the relief for the hand brake, rear 45 degree bend and across the back then weld it solid. Added the .25 rosette weld holes and made several minor fit modifications. Going to laser cut a couple of sets hopefully this week and then e-coat paint them and install. Brad - send me a pm as to where you want a set sent.

M
Brad Roberts
Thanks Mark. I have a car on the rack RIGHT NOW that I had planned on installing these into. I just finished replacing his control arm ear and repairing a ton of damage from a rear end collision. The frame is still weak and flexible. This kit will work GREAT for him.

We do need to work on the price however. It needs to be about 200$ out the door.

B
Bleyseng
sounds like ChrisR car. This kit could be used by a ton of cars.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Yep. Wait until I tell Chris he has been running around on a bent control arm. I installed the control arm today and noticed a fat "bend" in the arm. I cant get the toe set properly now that it has a solid ear in the proper location.

I know how much the car means to him.. but I would have bought another tub (even if it has personal value.)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.