Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding helmet recomendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porcharu
My auto darkening helmet just died and I need a new one. I have been looking for a few years at the nicer ones that have variable darkening. Anyone have a helmet they really like and would recommend to others? After looking around I think I want one that uses a battery plus solar - my eyes hurt right now. The old helmet was about 12 years old so I know they make much better ones these days.
Thanks
Steve
tat2dphreak
I have an adjustable Auto Darkening that I got at Harbor freight... I really like it, actually... I know HF makes some crap, but this has been a great Helmet!
tomeric914
I LOVE my Jackson EQC from Cyberweld.com. 100% reliable. I've had mine for about 8 years now with no problems. I tried more expensive helmets first and they couldn't touch the EQC.

http://store.cyberweld.com/jaeqcproauda.html

Includes free shipping.
jaxdream
I got a Hobart from Northern Tool a few months ago , on sale for $79.99 , reg $99.99, thought it was a great deal . All solar powered and such, saw the same helmet at Tractor Supply last week- $59.99 !!! WTF.gif Pissed me off ,, oh well I really do like my helment , been welding all of 3 months now , gettin better all the time , yeah right !! No sense in giving up , got keep goin if ya want anything.

Jaxdream
aircooledtechguy
I recently upgraded my cheap helmet to a Speedglas auto darkening (forget the model off-hand). Got it off Craigslist for cheap. Nothing like a tool that works exactly as it should.
JazonJJordan
biggrin.gif I second the Harbor Freight, I have found them effective and consistent. I have bought three; nephew, nephew, me.
I haven't had a moment (to compare side by side) with a better brand and would welcome anyone with a comparative reflection.

These were on sale every few months at $49. (currently on sale today-)
They are adjustable and solar only- no battery.
Thanks- jzn
McMark
I have the Optrel Satellite. I used to use the HF helmet. The HF is pretty good and you can't beat it for the price. But going back to the HF temporarily is where I really noticed the difference. The HF is MUCH harder to dial in to a perfect shade. When I was teaching to someone to weld, they had the HF and I couldn't understand why they kept complaining about seeing the melt pool. Then I traded helmets with them, and they got better, and I couldn't see crap.

The downside? It's almost $400.
TravisNeff
I have a couple of HF helmets and they work pretty well (for me), at least compared to an old school non-darkening helmet.

My dad complained about the flash and had a hard time seeing with it, so it probably goes with McMark's statement of a really good helmet.
Porcharu
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2009, 07:39 PM) *

I have the Optrel Satellite. I used to use the HF helmet. The HF is pretty good and you can't beat it for the price. But going back to the HF temporarily is where I really noticed the difference. The HF is MUCH harder to dial in to a perfect shade. When I was teaching to someone to weld, they had the HF and I couldn't understand why they kept complaining about seeing the melt pool. Then I traded helmets with them, and they got better, and I couldn't see crap.

Hmm very nice - I forgot to mention that I wanted to upgrade and not just replace. My old helmet was a pretty good Huntsman unit, but I often find it hard to see the weld and it's too dark when 'off'. That Optrel has some nice features - the ability to read the red leds that the new welders have is pretty nice. I just need a new welder that has leds biggrin.gif I have also been looking at the Miller elite series. Similar to the Optrel but more widely available at a discount.
Steve
scotty b
I got a Speedglass and have never wanted anything else smile.gif
JazonJJordan
Point well taken; so goes my neverending list, now a little longer...with another helmet on the Christmas list (sigh)...~you know~ all this expertise and advise is making me poor(!) biggrin.gif but better! Thanks for the helping nudge~ (sigh) shades.gif
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2009, 10:39 PM) *

Porcharu
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 22 2009, 04:35 PM) *

I got a Speedglass and have never wanted anything else smile.gif

I 'wasted' a lot of time on line yesterday and this seems to be a common opinion of Speedglass helmets - they are the good stuff. I think I am going to spring for the 9100XX, this is the one with the extra big lens and they are all on sale until the end of the year. I hope this helps with the low power tig welding that I have always struggled with because I can barely see the puddle, it also switches to dark 8 times faster than my old one and that can only be a good thing for my eyes.
Steve
aircooledtechguy
You will not be disappointed with the quality of a Speedglas no matter what model. I use mine for everything from MIG to TIG. It's like most tool purchases; you don't know just how much better a high quality tool is until your cheap one breaks and you upgrade. Then you wonder how you got by without it for so long. biggrin.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 23 2009, 01:24 PM) *

You will not be disappointed with the quality of a Speedglas no matter what model. I use mine for everything from MIG to TIG. It's like most tool purchases; you don't know just how much better a high quality tool is until your cheap one breaks and you upgrade. Then you wonder how you got by without it for so long. biggrin.gif

I don't doubt this at all. I am way past buying cheap tools - I would rather do without than have some POS that will break when I need it most. I still use a good file to fit tubing because I can't see spending the bucks for a good tube notcher - yet.
Steve - trying to come up with $$$ for a new welding helmet. I am using an old school non auto darkening helmet while my AD helmet is down and it sucks! Makes welding much harder than it should be.
Joe Bob
I just got flash blinded by a POS helmet that came with my Hobart. Gave it the float test and bought a Jackson Master Variable EQC.

Worth the $$, I value my eyesite. No deals on eBay....I checked first. $250 locally.
jasons
icon_bump.gif

I bought a new helmet this weekend and I thought I might share my experience. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby auto darkening helmet to replace a cheap HF auto darkening. I bought the HF unit a few years ago. Well it appears the battery in the HF helmet went bad. Even though its "solar" I think it still has an internal Li-ion battery. The helmet wouldn't switch on my welding arc any more. The Miller helmet takes a AAA, and is replaceable.

I thought about buying a Speedglas, but after looking at the 9100x its really more helmet than I need. It had lots of features, I just don't need. And, the lower 100 series Speedglas had the internal battery too.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldin...ts/prohobby.php

charliew
If you weld two or three times a week and do stick, mig and tig inside and outside you can't spend too much on a welding helmet. I bought one of the first millers about 17 years ago and it's still good but the new ones are much better. I originally bought the jackson to weld the framework of my shop together and it was great for the stick welding outside but after about 7 or eight hours inside with a wirefeed mig on pretty high amps it makes my eyes a little scratchy. On sheetmetal it's ok and on little tig welds it's good but on thicker aluminum with the tig it's also a little too light. It's not adjustable. I think I remember it is a 8 on darkness. I like a big window and it has one. I also have a regular hood that has a magnified lens that I sometimes use on the small tig welds. I guess I need to see whats new.
Gint
icon_bump.gif ...another for reference...
Joe Bob
How much are your eyes worth?
pilothyer
Gotta Put in a plug for the Miller Digital Elite....Jerry
dkos
just close your eyes, like those guys on Orange County Choppers!
andys
When researching auto darkening helmets a couple of years ago, I found that the HF helmet had one of the fastest reponse times regadless of brand or cost. I bought the HF helemt and all is good so far. Perhaps it won't last as long as some of the others, but at those prices I can afford a replacement.

Andys
McMark
Andy, you're completely correct about the cost vs. performance aspect. But as mentioned by a few people, the quality of control with the HF isn't great. I would absolutely recommend the HF to an occasional or beginning welder. But if you're doing a big project, or multiple projects, or you're just looking for something nicer, the HF unit is not the best choice.
jasons
My HF was a good intro to auto darkening helmets. But, when it stopped working, I decided to step into something a little nicer (and with a replaceable battery). Even the kid at the welding store who sold me the Miller helmet, used HF helmets. One thing he said, and I agree is the variable setting is not accurate. I think the highest setting is 12 or 13? But, the highest setting on the HF seems more like a 9 or 10 on my Miller.

Another thing he said, I don't know if its true or matters.... The HF helmet is not OSHA approved. I would guess its not ANSI tested. He said you'll be kicked off a jobsite with that helmet. Obviously, that doesn't matter in your garage.
Porcharu
Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Speedglas 9100XX (sold some crap on ebay biggrin.gif bought it on Ebay too - $369 + free shipping) I will report on how it works.
Steve
charliew
I forgot one thing that showed up while I was welding afterdark outside the other night my unadjustable helmet was way to bright trying to use it in the almost dark condition the other night.
Porcharu
I got it today, have not had time to try it out but WOW - it is very nice. I could easily ride a bike with helmet down! Perfect clarity and very comfortable and extremely adjustable - like forward and backward, tilt angle etc. I look forward to using it, unfortunately my argon ran out so I will not be able to test Tig this weekend.
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.