Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vertically mounted space saver spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nana's_914
What is the proper way to mount the space saver spare vertically. What mount needs to be installed?
To look like this:
IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
I just cut the bracket off the trunk floor and re-fabricated it to go on the vertical bulkhead.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 21 2009, 08:22 PM) *

I just cut the bracket off the trunk floor and re-fabricated it to go on the vertical bulkhead.

My car was an A/C car so the spare tire mount got cut out and thrown away by the dealer. Is the stock mount the best thing to use or are there other good options.
jt914-6
I have put the spare in the rear trunk. There should be a tapped hole with a plastic cap seal in it. Some rear carpet had a grommet in it above said tapped hole. Look in the rear trunk and see what you have....
I've also in the past carried the spare on the luggage rack, didn't care if it got wet in a rain storm.....besides it made space for the 48 quart ice chest in the front trunk...
burton73
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Aug 21 2009, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 21 2009, 08:22 PM) *

My car was an A/C car so the spare tire mount got cut out and thrown away by the dealer. Is the stock mount the best thing to use or are there other good options.

I used an AC spare mount that I got from Bruce in Riverside. Sorry I do not have a picture with me on this computer but it will look just like the picture you show at the top of this page. That is for #41 914-6 with a Fuchs 6 with spacesaver tire

Bob
Dave_Darling
If you don't have the part from the trunk floor, it's only a little more work to fabricate the bracket than to fabricate a way to mount it vertically. Just get a nut that fits the hold-down bolt, and weld it to a bracket.

It's easier if you mount the tire the other way around from that shown, as the bracket can be closer to the rear bulkhead.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 21 2009, 07:20 PM) *

I have put the spare in the rear trunk. There should be a tapped hole with a plastic cap seal in it. Some rear carpet had a grommet in it above said tapped hole. Look in the rear trunk and see what you have....
I've also in the past carried the spare on the luggage rack, didn't care if it got wet in a rain storm.....besides it made space for the 48 quart ice chest in the front trunk...

If you toss the cooler, you can put the beer and ice directly in the trunk. Get a LOT more beer in there without all that molded foam crap..................

The Cap'n
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 22 2009, 06:54 PM) *

If you don't have the part from the trunk floor, it's only a little more work to fabricate the bracket than to fabricate a way to mount it vertically. Just get a nut that fits the hold-down bolt, and weld it to a bracket.

It's easier if you mount the tire the other way around from that shown, as the bracket can be closer to the rear bulkhead.

--DD

The reason it's mounted that direction is because it's a 964 spare and has a molded factory foam insert in the wheel to hold the jack, tools etc. If you turned it around they would just fall out..... slap.gif

All you need to do is buy the ring and wing nut and then weld a threaded rod on a small plate. Drill a hole large enough for the threaded rod to penetrate that firewall area and insert the rod from the gas tank side. Drill through the firewall and through the small plate and use some pop-rivets so that the entire assembly stays in place. Works great, tools are hidden, appears to be factory installed
Elliot Cannon
I welded a nutplate to the bulkhead and used a stock "eye" bolt and washer to hold it.
76-914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 22 2009, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 21 2009, 07:20 PM) *

If you toss the cooler, you can put the beer and ice directly in the trunk. Get a LOT more beer in there without all that molded foam crap..................

The Cap'n

That's a trip down memory lane for me, Cap'n. I used to do that w/ a 64 chev in high school. Works great!
Eric_Shea
I have the mount I'll give you for shipping. Now all you need is someone to weld it in.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2009, 01:07 PM) *

I have the mount I'll give you for shipping. Now all you need is someone to weld it in.

You got a deal!

Thanks!
NS914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 22 2009, 11:57 PM) *

I welded a nutplate to the bulkhead and used a stock "eye" bolt and washer to hold it.

Hi,

Just a quick question but, what front clip do you have on your car. It looks fantastic and I have been thinking of something like that.

Regards,

Grant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.