Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What body kit is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
number6
Hi all. Can someone please tell me what body kit this is?

Does anyone have add'l photos of this car (or one w/ the same body), particularly shots that show what the front treatment looks like?

I think it's sweet lookin'!

Happy weekend,
-duc
sean_v8_914
Bontempi rears with a Roger Sheridan nose. stock style fg rear bumper, stock style rear FG valance
number6
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 22 2009, 03:13 AM) *

Bontempi rears with a Roger Sheridan nose. stock style fg rear bumper, stock style rear FG valance

Thanks, Sean!

-duc
J P Stein
& it's for sale @ around 50K.
Dave_Darling
Izzat Leeds' car?

More pics of the Sheridan body:
http://www.ultimate914.com

--DD
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 22 2009, 07:01 PM) *

Izzat Leeds' car?

More pics of the Sheridan body:
http://www.ultimate914.com

--DD

Ayup.
PeeGreen 914
Actually $40k. Includes 3 sets of wheels that are 16x10 Fikse's. Only sets ever made that size. Here's more pics for you Duc.
sean_v8_914
sweet ride
number6
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 22 2009, 05:12 PM) *

& it's for sale @ around 50K.

Man, my heart skipped a beat when I thought maybe *just maybe* you were referring to the body panels costing $50K!

But I see the follow-up posts now smile.gif
number6
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 22 2009, 09:17 PM) *

Actually $40k. Includes 3 sets of wheels that are 16x10 Fikse's. Only sets ever made that size. Here's more pics for you Duc.

Thanks, Jon!

And general question for everyone: Is Bontempi a person? Company? Still around and selling the flares? Do they make a matching front set? Pix of said front flares? A quick google search didn't yield any useful matches. Of course, it's 11pm Saturday, so I'm prolly not trying hard enough smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
I believe his name is Rich Bontempi. I am sure Sheridan could make those for you as well. He does very nice work and always has a nice finish to his poducts.
nsr-jamie
Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House), awesome shop!! I get all my parts from him and he is kind enough to ship cheaply to Japan for me. Excellent guy and he sells those rear fenders too.

Here is the link to his site for you

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
SirAndy
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 22 2009, 02:13 AM) *

with a Roger Sheridan nose

That nose does not look like a Sheridan front.

The shape looks more like the AIR SCCA Kit ...
http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...9246&page=5

shades.gif Andy
puff adder
I don't think that is an AIR front nose.

If you look at the AIR website, you can see the differences in the front air dam.

J P Stein
HPH does sell matching front fenders. Here is a pic of Steve Nilsony's lovely 914.
race914
On Rich's home page, click 'porsche', then '914', then '11-Performance', scroll down to see the body panels with pics & prices.
PeeGreen 914

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2009, 01:40 AM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 22 2009, 02:13 AM) *

with a Roger Sheridan nose

That nose does not look like a Sheridan front.

The shape looks more like the AIR SCCA Kit ...
http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...9246&page=5

shades.gif Andy

It is a Sheridan. Leeds bought it from Roger many moons ago.
number6
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 23 2009, 08:23 AM) *

HPH does sell matching front fenders. Here is a pic of Steve Nilsony's lovely 914.

Thanks, JP. I think this is definitely one of the more attractive flaring schemes for our cars. Thanks, everyone, for all the info/links/clarification.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 23 2009, 11:57 AM) *

In that case it's a one off as the front flare part looks nothing like any of the current Sheridan fender flares ...
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(puff adder @ Aug 23 2009, 04:46 AM) *

you can see the differences in the front air dam.

I wasn't talking about the air dam portion, i was talking about the front fender flares.

The shape is certainly much closer to the sharp edge of the AIR flares. The Sheridan flares are much rounder with no sharp edges.
shades.gif Andy
raw1298
Someone had a set of the rear flares at the Sacramento swap earlier this spring. It was the booth set up closest to Fair Oaks Ave.. Does anyone remember his name?
Todd Enlund
Here's a better pic of the font. I've got lots more. I agree with Andy, it's not a stock Sheridan front. It's closer to the A.I.R. IMSA front, but it's not the A.I.R. part either.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Again, it is a Sheridan. Leeds bought that front off him over 10 years ago.

This picture is right off Sheridan's web page. Doesn't look that different confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2009, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 23 2009, 11:57 AM) *

In that case it's a one off as the front flare part looks nothing like any of the current Sheridan fender flares ...
shades.gif Andy

I believe Greg Fordahl requested it be that way for some rules they had to deal with in SCCA and some of the custom stuff he had in there. I don't remember all the details on it but back when they first won Nationals in the car there were some crazy rules the 914s had to abide by.
jcd914
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 23 2009, 08:49 PM) *

Someone had a set of the rear flares at the Sacramento swap earlier this spring. It was the booth set up closest to Fair Oaks Ave.. Does anyone remember his name?

I suspect I am the guilty party here.
I have a set of GT Racing rear quarter panels I brought to the swap.
GT Racing says you can fit 12 inch wide wheels, a bit wide for my 2.0L 4cyl engine.

Jim
Todd Enlund
It's totally different, except for the "bumper".

The Sheridan kit has flares that are closer to the M471/GT flares, Leeds car has flat flares with a sharp angle.

Sheridan has no "turn signal" locations, Leeds does

Sheridan has rounded opening to the oil cooler, Leeds is squared

I don't doubt that Leeds bought it from Roger, but it's not the same kit that Roger is selling now. Either Roger changed his kit (I don't think so... I remember Sheridan kits from Waaay back), Roger modified a one-off for Leeds, or Leeds modified it himself.

I almost looks like the AIR flares with a Sheridan front, but the flares aren't even the same as AIR.

Point being, in response to Duc's original question... you can't just go buy a Sheridan kit and get what Leeds has on his car.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 23 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Doesn't look that different confused24.gif

confused24.gif
The bumper is close but the actual flare part looks completely different ...

Btw. Roger molded his front using a stock '75 bumper as a template.
shades.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 24 2009, 01:11 AM) *

It's totally different, except for the "bumper".

The Sheridan kit has flares that are closer to the M471/GT flares, Leeds car has flat flares with a sharp angle.

Sheridan has no "turn signal" locations, Leeds does

Sheridan has rounded opening to the oil cooler, Leeds is squared

I don't doubt that Leeds bought it from Roger, but it's not the same kit that Roger is selling now. Either Roger changed his kit (I don't think so... I remember Sheridan kits from Waaay back), Roger modified a one-off for Leeds, or Leeds modified it himself.

I almost looks like the AIR flares with a Sheridan front, but the flares aren't even the same as AIR.

Point being, in response to Duc's original question... you can't just go buy a Sheridan kit and get what Leeds has on his car.

Click to view attachment

Then again, there really isn't much on that car you can just go out and buy. Even the chasis of his car has some trick stiffening done to it from using stuff at Boeing to find the weak points.

This is my all time most desored 914 and someday I hope I'll get to drive it.
J P Stein
There is...or used to be....an SCCA rule forbiding a cut in the bumper for the oil cooler. Guys then went to the higher bumpered 75-76 front end and cut the hole in the air dam....which was legal. The light cutouts were also necessary.
Custom made would not surprise me. On that car, nothing surprises me.....cept maybe that it & mine were a tossup on a neutral AX venue. biggrin.gif

His rear fenders also appear to be Sheridan.
Those from HPH don't fit well enuff to allow the full quarter pannel to be used.......bout 1.5 inches too long where they wrap around the rear corners & and wrong angle at the door jamb.....which is why mine are hacked. Leeds seem to actually fit.....as Sheridan's stuff does.
byndbad914
I don't see anything on that car that looks Sheridan to me. I believe way back in the day (as in very early 90s) Roger was coming up with a bodywork design, and I believe he messed with the AIR stuff as a base concept at first and I think he knows the AIR folks pretty well, but an old friend Chuck had one of his first standard body kits on his car and I bought my bodywork around 1995 and it was, by then, the current design you see online, not what is on the car in this thread.

Additionally Roger had his current all tube chassis, wide body car in the works in his garage in Agoura Hills at the time, so if Roger owned that car and did that nose as an early prototype, that nose is in the neighborhood of 20yrs old and that car was sold by the time I was standing in his garage shooting the sh!t about his tube car in '95. Roger is a damn nice dude too so if you like his bodywork at all, I would highly recommend him for fit and finish and all around good vendor, as well as cool guy to bounce ideas off of as he has one FAST car.

That green car that was posted had the air hole narrowed big time - the stock bodywork has a much wider opening - I have a 30" radiator and the stock opening is wide enough for it.

edit - reread and saw Leeds bought the nose, not the car... nonetheless that nose would have to be around 20yrs old to be from Roger, so seems odd Roger would have had it in his garage for 10yrs before selling it to Leeds 10yrs ago.....
PeeGreen 914

I'm not saying it looks like a Sheridan front to me. What I am saying is hat Leeds told me it is. Maybe he is wrong and Greg got it somewhere else. I doubt it but I really don't know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.