Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yippee...the "cage" is in the car....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I picked up my 914 today, it's been at Tony's shop, TC Design for a few months now, a combination of me not really needing the car due to not having a motor and him knowing that and being busy...worked out great for me since it cleared up valuable space in my garage wink.gif
Mueller
adf
Mueller
asdf
Mueller
adfw

last picture before I take it home......so, should I challange Dave Darling to see who will have a running car sooner smile.gif

notice no engine or transmission in my car.........
Andyrew
Thats a nice cage!!!

I wish I could afford something like that.

Good luck getting it running before WCC!!

Andrew
airsix
Looks really good! Tony's designs keep evolving I see. It looks very easy to live with - everything is out of the way. Nice.

-Ben M.
L8Apex
you will be me for sure! I don't even have floors anymore!
dinomium
and the triangles make it stonger!
Nice looking cage!
fiid
damn- that's nice. gots to get me some of that before I kill myself with 300hp.
vortrex
what do people do about painting the cage once installed? do you just leave it rusty?
L8Apex
just mask as much off as you can, and paint. Maybe use some cardboard to cover some areas so you don't get overspray
vortrex
wouldn't it be easier to prepare/paint it before installing (minus the welds of course) and then touch up those spots later? I don't see how you can hit a lot of areas, especially up against the firewall.
Malmz
QUOTE(vortrex @ Mar 9 2004, 04:39 PM)
what do people do about painting the cage once installed? do you just leave it rusty?

Por-15 makes a colored brush on product that flows smooth and dries rock solid Never used it, just heard about it.

I spray painted my last one with the windows out of the car. I covered fairly well. hardest part was on the knee bar by the lower dash pad (which was still there and no longer a removeable part).

sm
VegasRacer
That's a good looking cage.
I hope you never have to find out how well it works.
TimT
wouldn't it be easier to prepare/paint it before installing (minus the welds of course) and then touch up those spots later?

we rough up and prep the bars.... degrease, scotchbrite, then primer... then prep the ends for welding... open the root of the joint etc..

after welding, clean the welded area.... and prime paint the whole shebang
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vortrex @ Mar 9 2004, 07:57 PM)
wouldn't it be easier to prepare/paint it before installing (minus the welds of course) and then touch up those spots later? I don't see how you can hit a lot of areas, especially up against the firewall.

This is something I do for some customers and it adds at least $400 to the finished cost. The end result is much better than painting afterwards, but it's not cheap.
Mueller

It shouldn't be too hard to paint at all, it is not that close to the firewall......

I'll just use a rattle can or if I get really ambitious, I could break out my airbrush or detail paint gun

blowtorch.gif
RON S.
Man that cage is sweet.
I wish I could buy that in a kit form so I could weld it together here in my own shop.
Beautiful,just plain beautiful.
I swear he oughta make a broke down cage and sell'em in kit form for us guys back east.
Ron
Mueller
I swear he oughta make a broke down cage and sell'em in kit form for us guys back east.

You've got Chris back there that does killer work as well from what I understand.........
jonwatts
As a footnote, if you want Tony to do a cage for you then you need to deliver the car pretty much like Mueller's with the interior gutted. He's too busy to do interior R&R, especially on 30 year old cars with 30 year old fasteners, wiring, PO screwups, etc.
fiid
What do you have to pull?

How much does it cost?

Probably should pull all the shit out - take it to get a cage and then take it straight to the paint shop eh?
don9146
Is that cage built for any particular race series (SCCA, PCA, POC, etc.)?
Just to stiffen the car for the street?

Thanks,
Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Mar 9 2004, 04:39 PM)

i sprayed Metal-Ready on mine first, then washed it off with water, then brushed on POR-15 ...

Andy

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(don9146 @ Mar 10 2004, 12:58 PM)

yes, he builds them to your specs, mine is PCA and SCCA legal (not sure about POC) and i assume so is muellers ...

Andy
SirAndy
oh, and i didn't miss a single spot !

it's easy with a brush, there's enough room around the tubing to get the paint on with a brush anywhere ...

Andy
RocknRollFrenzy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2004, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE(don9146 @ Mar 10 2004, 12:58 PM)

yes, he builds them to your specs, mine is PCA and SCCA legal (not sure about POC) and i assume so is muellers ...

Andy

actually it might not be....been having some issues with a cage in a civic del sol......a cage that doesn't have stantions running to the rear supension mounts (ie through the back window in a del sol or 914) is required to have a petty bar. which i'm trying to avoid, so i can keep a passenger seat.
jonwatts
You can keep the passenger seat with a petty bar, you just won't have too many people wanting to be passengers wink.gif
Tony C
Andy's and Mike's would need petty bars to be legal. However these can easily be added at a later date IF they do actually go wheel-to-wheel racing. Both cars are primarily driven on the street and I will NOT build a cage with a petty bar that is mainly driven on the street.

-tony

fiid, by stripped I mean it should look like mike's car, except that you can still leave the dash in, but the dash PADS (upper and lower) need to be removed.
Mueller
I "think" Andy's cage is made from heavier wall tubing due to him wanting to go with a big /6 in the future...

for certain classes, I'd have to stick with the /4 or go with a small /6 or go on a crazy diet to keep the car at the weight limit for my cage.....

after my cage, it seems like Tony will not touch a 914 for a cage unless the interior is totally stripped like mine was..he is too busy to deal with the removal of everything, of course for a price, I'm sure he could be swayed into it :0

as mentioned in another post, the price for the raw material is going up at an alarming rate, I wouldn't wait too long to get a cage since it seems the price is only going to go up.........

yes, the petty bar is required in some classes, I don't plan on running with the SCCA, so I opted not to get the petty bar........my car is for street, auto-x and the occasional track day

and the triangles make it stonger!

I thought those are for handcuffs ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tony C @ Mar 10 2004, 01:52 PM)
However these can easily be added at a later date IF they do actually go wheel-to-wheel racing.

that's what i tought ...

what about a removeable petty bar?
Andy
Scott Carlberg
Mike,
congrats on getting the 914 back with the cage. That's cool MDB2.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
Brad Roberts
You only need the petty bar if you dont run the rear bars coming off the main hoop.

Good job as usual "T". Our nightmare gets delivered tomorrow. I wish I had a few more lined up for you.. but things have really nose dived since the beginning of the year as far as service work goes (for us)

B
Tony C
The nightmare is really going away!!!!!

Once gone we need to go beer.gif , then aktion035.gif , then beerchug.gif , then mueba.gif , then beer3.gif , then barf.gif

-tony
Tony C
B, you should stop by next week. I will be installing a clubsport cage in a 996 GT3 and a custom 996 cage. welder.gif

-tony (going back to working on the Ruf R-turbo, no Terrence you can't get a ride)
L8Apex
weak! I'll just come bother you and slow your working speed down.

I maybe available for vollunteer help when I get laid off in a couple of weeks. ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Brad Roberts
We will celebrate "T"..promise.. dinner/lunch something. I have been welding for 3 days straight on a crunched from behind 914... welding skills coming along nicely..LOL

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.