Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire pressures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
I see different tires with different Max Pressures printed on the tire. Some say 32psi and I have seen some with 51psi. Should you run with whats on the side of the tire, even though it says max pressure.

Not talking racing here, just everyday driving. Racing is a whole different world when it comes to tire pressure.
Elliot Cannon
I use the pressure recommended by the car manufacturer. I use what's in the owners manual, not what's on the tire.
YksKrad
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 22 2009, 11:58 AM) *

I use the pressure recommended by the car manufacturer. I use what's in the owners manual, not what's on the tire.

Agreed, in absence of the manufacturer recommended inflate till you get proper tread contact... Over inflating them to the max pressure makes for a rougher ride and wears the tires faster, in my experience...
turboturtle
QUOTE(YksKrad @ Aug 22 2009, 12:16 PM) *

Agreed, in absence of the manufacturer recommended inflate till you get proper tread contact... Over inflating them to the max pressure makes for a rougher ride and wears the tires faster, in my experience...

I cannot believe the numbers of people registered as online now have not come to your tires rescue.

The auto manufacturers recommended pressure should only be followed if you have the original size and type of tire recommended by the manufacturer.

You should use the pressures listed on the side of the tire. The use of the tire at max pressure is only recommended if the maximum weight is expected to be put on the tire.

It is more often than not, suitable to run your tires at a slightly reduced pressure from max to avoid a rough ride and excessive tire wear. You will wish to toy with pressures to find a comfortable medium between you, your tires and your driving habits.
ConeDodger
Finding the proper inflation for your tires is a process. You have changed things. No doubt, your tires are not the same size as the original and maybe your wheels are wider or the same size. The manufacturers recommendations are based on the original configuration.

Assuming your alignment is good, get the use of a pyrometer and after driving a bit, check that your temperatures are within 10% of each other across the face of the tire in three places, both edges and middle. This assures that you are using the entire treadface. Hot in the middle is overinflated, hot on the edges is underinflated.

If that sounds complicated, and you cannot be bothered - you cannot go too far wrong using the car manufacturers recommended pressures plus a couple psi... biggrin.gif
JazonJJordan
drunk.gif Well founded, well said I must say~ thanks- jzn shades.gif
QUOTE(turboturtle @ Aug 22 2009, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(YksKrad @ Aug 22 2009, 12:16 PM) *

I cannot believe the numbers of people registered as online now have not come to your tires rescue.

The auto manufacturers recommended pressure should only be followed if you have the original size and type of tire recommended by the manufacturer.

You should use the pressures listed on the side of the tire. The use of the tire at max pressure is only recommended if the maximum weight is expected to be put on the tire.

It is more often than not, suitable to run your tires at a slightly reduced pressure from max to avoid a rough ride and excessive tire wear. You will wish to toy with pressures to find a comfortable medium between you, your tires and your driving habits.

JazonJJordan
Great tips! Thanks
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 22 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Finding the proper inflation for your tires is a process. You have changed things. No doubt, your tires are not the same size as the original and maybe your wheels are wider or the same size. The manufacturers recommendations are based on the original configuration.

Assuming your alignment is good, get the use of a pyrometer and after driving a bit, check that your temperatures are within 10% of each other across the face of the tire in three places, both edges and middle. This assures that you are using the entire treadface. Hot in the middle is overinflated, hot on the edges is underinflated.

If that sounds complicated, and you cannot be bothered - you cannot go too far wrong using the car manufacturers recommended pressures plus a couple psi... biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.