Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Speaker question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I wanted to use the stereo that was in this car (Sony pull out model) but have a speaker question. I have installed the kick panel speakers (4x6) which are 4 ohm. I want to add 2- 6" rd speakers in the door. Do they need to be 4 ohm or can I use 8 ohm speakers? What would happen if they were mis matched?
detoxcowboy
It is not the speakers only it is your amp you should be worried about.. if you run 8 ohm speaker your asking your amp to push twice the load (if it is a modern car amp they are desighned to run 4ohm) which is doable but your amp is working hot and sound w/ load may distort.. if your runing both door speaker and kick panel speaker on the same channel of the "un-mentioned amp" if would depend if you run the wiring parellel or in a series.. paralell would be a 12 ohm load not reccomened.. if your running in series then you would get a 6 ohm load but it would still be driving 2 woofers etc.. I really can help you if you give more info.. if your running straight off an intergrated amp in the pull out.. spend 30.00 for 2 4 ohm speakers and run them per channel per side etc.. I have tried many differnet stereo's in the 914.. currently i can blast my ears off with the top down on the freeway at full throttle.. after many trial and errors i would recommend not running anything hot or over load it is not worth it and the increased power you would get in say 2ohm basically sounds like shit at the point where you would be getting the power improvment.. sound quality is wht you want loudness is what comes next level without sacrificing the SQ> i currently have a pull out alpine with cd player in trunk 2 amps on frontr trunk wall.. an onboard vintage Equalizer and also an multiple electronic crossover.. sooh i did have a phone system for a minute but the point is i can help you wire if you give more info..
RoadGlue
It depends on how you're connecting them to the head unit. If you wire the new speakers in the door to the rear channels of the head unit, then you'd get the most power out of the head unit by using two 4 ohm speakers. If you're wiring the speakers in parallel, well, don't, because you'll end up with an impedance which will put too much load on the head unit. You could wire each left speaker in series and each right speaker in series, but if both speakers were 4 ohms you'd end up with an 8 ohm per channel final impedance. Safe, but lower on power.

The best option would be to NOT cut up your door panels and buy the 914 Appearance and Performance kick panel pods. That way you can leave your door panels unmolested and install 6-1/2" speakers in the stock location (which is way better than the door locations you're thinking of). I wasn't happy with the sound of the speakers he uses, so I ordered blanks and put my own speakers in:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1201549
detoxcowboy
I agree with the appearnce and performance kick panel speaker pods.. nice and clean.. and then you can use whatever your fancy is..
moordi
First off, I'm not an electrical engineer and there are doubtless others who can give you more technically correct information.

Bearing that in mind, my position is this: the 914 is not an audiophile's idea of a good acoustic environment for hi fi. That being said, the finer details of what happens when using multiple speakers with different nominal impedance is largely a matter of very basic issues; like whether your amp can handle the load presented by your speakers and what is needed to achieve a good balance between the different speakers in terms of volume.

If your head unit has hookups for four speakers with a "fader" control, then you won't have any problems. Most car stereos are designed for 4 ohm speakers, but higher impedence is generally less of a problem than low impedence. Either way, you aren't likely to push anything into a range that will present a problem. And, with the built-in controls you can adjust the volume levels to sound fine.

if your head unit does not have provisions for a four speaker setup, then you may find it necessary to add some additional passive or active devices to achieve proper balance between the kick and door speakers. This can be a nuisance and may not be needed. Install everything first and see if either set of speakers seems too loud relative to the other set or if there's too much resonance at a given frequency (this often shows up as a booming mid-bass with no good definition).

Actually, I think the bigger problem is how you're going to get the speaker wires to your doors.
76-914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(perrin1097 @ Aug 22 2009, 12:15 PM) *

It is not the speakers only it is your amp you should be worried about.. if you run 8 ohm speaker your asking your amp to push twice the load (if it is a modern car amp they are desighned to run 4ohm) which is doable but your amp is working hot and sound w/ load may distort.. if your runing both door speaker and kick panel speaker on the same channel of the "un-mentioned amp" if would depend if you run the wiring parellel or in a series.. paralell would be a 12 ohm load not reccomened.. if your running in series then you would get a 6 ohm load but it would still be driving 2 woofers etc.. I really can help you if you give more info.. if your running straight off an intergrated amp in the pull out.. spend 30.00 for 2 4 ohm speakers and run them per channel per side etc.. I have tried many differnet stereo's in the 914.. currently i can blast my ears off with the top down on the freeway at full throttle.. after many trial and errors i would recommend not running anything hot or over load it is not worth it and the increased power you would get in say 2ohm basically sounds like shit at the point where you would be getting the power improvment.. sound quality is wht you want loudness is what comes next level without sacrificing the SQ> i currently have a pull out alpine with cd player in trunk 2 amps on frontr trunk wall.. an onboard vintage Equalizer and also an multiple electronic crossover.. sooh i did have a phone system for a minute but the point is i can help you wire if you give more info..

76-914
Sorry, lost the verbage when I downloaded the pics. Yes it has factory provisions for 4 speakers at the harness; yes it has a fader; age unknown but it does sport a cassette player; door panels were cut by PO so why not fill the hole; agreed this is not an audiophiles car but these 6x4's sound like the old speakers from the drive in theatres. All help is greatly appreciated. Thx again.
RoadGlue
OMG, that's old school. Dude, if money is tight - http://cgi.ebay.com/New-In-Dash-AM-FM-Car-...id=p3286.c0.m14

hehe
McMark
Where are you even finding 8 ohm speakers? Usually 8ohm is only used in home stereo settings.

Also, good speakers that are run by an amp (not the head unit) will boost 'performance' without adding more speakers or cutting panels.

Adding a sub will fill out the low end more than those 6" will.
76-914
Well there you go. I didn't realize that most car speakers weren't 8 ohm. Learned something already. And if that's the case my question is answered. And yes, money is tight now. Besides, my music is all digital so the stereo being old isn't an issue for me. And I like that pull out feature. Thx for the help guy's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.