Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: found another Saratoga Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
This one is like new in the original box...

Very cool.
RJMII
ah, c'mon. you know how to post pictures. Where are they?? poke.gif
Sleepin
Yeah....posting a thread like this without pictures could actually result in a temporary banning....such a tease!
johannes
ARGLLL ! I want to see that !!!
detoxcowboy
Are you selling it?? Plus pics are nice so we can learn the quality still out there.. My girl may be hot smoking but will you belive me without a pic???
Jakeodoule
Are they rare? I got one with my car and its been in the attic for 8 years....
Haven't see it in at least 4 years

tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Aug 23 2009, 10:12 AM) *

Are they rare? I got one with my car and its been in the attic for 8 years....
Haven't see it in at least 4 years

extremely rare in good shape. there are buyers if you want to sell it.
PanelBilly
Will we be starting an Ebay style bidding war?

horizontally-opposed
Funny market for these.

I offered a nice (but clearly used and needing new -- and unobtainable -- seals) Saratoga top as a straight trade for a mint stock top and got no takers. The only people who pinged me wanted to buy it outright. I told them I only wanted to trade. After waiting quite a while, I let it go to the highest local bidder, who offered $1200 IIRC and was overjoyed to get it. I then bought a NOS stock top for $750~.

So what's the money on a mint Saratoga, I wonder?

pete
tat2dphreak
never seen a mint one, but I've seen decent ones go for 1500 on ebay.

I've never understood the fascination, personally.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 23 2009, 12:36 PM) *

They're pretty cool from inside...creating the illusion that all that is separating you from the outside world is the thin A pillars, tiny window guides, and thin rubber seals along the tops of the side windows. Especially cool in the city, redwoods, etc. To me, that's the biggest draw. Also, the tint is just right: light enough that it seems clear from inside the car while keeping just enough screening against the hot sun; dark enough that you don't really notice it's a see-through from the outside.

Downsides: doesn't seal as well as a stocker and more windnoise. Also: no seals available.

I had mixed emotions when I let mine go.

pete
tomeric914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 23 2009, 05:48 PM) *

They're pretty cool from inside...creating the illusion that all that is separating you from the outside world is the thin A pillars, tiny window guides, and thin rubber seals along the tops of the side windows.

errr... take the top off? blink.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 23 2009, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 23 2009, 12:36 PM) *

They're pretty cool from inside...creating the illusion that all that is separating you from the outside world is the thin A pillars, tiny window guides, and thin rubber seals along the tops of the side windows. Especially cool in the city, redwoods, etc. To me, that's the biggest draw. Also, the tint is just right: light enough that it seems clear from inside the car while keeping just enough screening against the hot sun; dark enough that you don't really notice it's a see-through from the outside.

Downsides: doesn't seal as well as a stocker and more windnoise. Also: no seals available.

I had mixed emotions when I let mine go.

pete
I agree they do 'feel' cool inside smile.gif
Zundfolge
I'd imagine they get awful hot though ... greenhouse effect and all.

Of course since I have headers and no heater, maybe one would work for a top in the winter, I could thumb my nose at all the Prius owners because MY car would have passive solar heat! (take that Manitou hippies!)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 23 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 23 2009, 05:48 PM) *

They're pretty cool from inside...creating the illusion that all that is separating you from the outside world is the thin A pillars, tiny window guides, and thin rubber seals along the tops of the side windows.

errr... take the top off? blink.gif

errr...enjoy the visuals of no top without the wind/rain/cold/noise/etc.?

errr...another option on how to enjoy a 914?

errr...enjoy just something a little different?

and, oh yeah, I almost forgot:

errr...some like the way the back of the top's shape subtly changes the appearance of the 914's roofline?

poke.gif biggrin.gif

pete

tat2dphreak
lol, still reminds me of buying a glass hat to show off a new haircut. smile.gif

Joe Bob
They sucked when new, leaked, can't get parts, they were warped, leaked and fried you like an egg on pavement in Bakersfield lol-2.gif ....and age hasn't improved them. Good luck on your sale....

Might want to place an ad in the the want ad thingy.....but what do I know..... headbang.gif

Did I mention they leaked? Heard they were popular on the east coast.....the one good point....they didn't rust.
dflesburg
LOL, I never said anything about selling it.
Joe Bob
Good, cause they'll only go up in price as there is always a sucker born every minute.
dflesburg
Uh... no.

We are putting it on GreatPumpkin's car. He is going to use it.
richardmosselman
There's one for sale on the Vancouver BC Craigslist for $1200! (Search Porsche 914).

Oops, now sold.

Cheers,Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.